I like that stuff

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

29 Jul 2014, 09:27

SUN.JPG
SUN.JPG (400.42 KiB) Viewed 8293 times

Harrowed

29 Jul 2014, 10:23

Haven't posted my Dox here yet. Took pretty nice pic yesterday so here you go.

Shinryuu

29 Jul 2014, 22:42

seebart wrote: right Hak Foo, I know what you mean! Even with those colorfull caps it does NOT cheer me up more than another keyboard.
It´s just a strange slogan.

:mrgreen:

Very nice Shinryuu. HHKB is quite a rare item here in Europe. I can´t even get one if I wanted! Did you import yours?
Heh, thanks and sorry for the late answer! My friend visited in Japan around the December and I gave some money to him. He was able to find couple of stores that sold PFU's stuff. He threw packages away before he came back to Finland to prevent possible taxes. I remember paying around 170€ in total. :twisted:

Got my red esc key from a user called Medowy for a reasonable price and I bought white blanks not too long time ago from a store called 'Smart Imports'. The deal was excellent 8-)

Madhias
BS TORPE

31 Jul 2014, 08:39

Playing with the Granite caps, i really love that game.

DanielT

02 Aug 2014, 18:06

Crappy phone photo, but the set is awesome :)
Original WoB Cherry, looks as new, no shine, no nothing, with GMK RGBY from Feng, purple GMK Esc also from Feng and original 7u Cherry spacebar from Findecanor.
Now I'm waiting for the faceU PCB :P
I love the quality of these caps, and Cherry profile is great much lower than OEM and DCS.
image.jpg
image.jpg (510.26 KiB) Viewed 8136 times

scottc

02 Aug 2014, 18:14

Perfect. Looks awesome :D

Grond

02 Aug 2014, 18:16

Looks great Daniel! ;)

DanielT

02 Aug 2014, 18:25

Yep :D I was lucky to find a WoB ANSI set, and one such a good shape. Now I understand why people go crazy about Cherry profile and caps quality, and why GMK GB's are such a huge success.
@Grond: the RGBY shared buy was a really great thing ;)

scottc

02 Aug 2014, 18:39

I agree! I'm a big fan of the thick, thick doubleshots.

xwhatsit

05 Aug 2014, 10:11

Awww dude:
il_570xN.612304045_of18.jpg
il_570xN.612304045_of18.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
Off to read about dyesubbing...

Grond

07 Aug 2014, 15:03

Updated with the new RGB I purchased with Daniel. I found the colors and keycap build vastly superior to the Signature Plastics set I used before, however I'm a bit disappointed with the consistency of GMK legends. The small shift looks crammed and should be textless, Control legends look centered when it's supposed to be aligned on the left, and overall kerning and letter width seem to be slightly off. I wonder why they can't make the keycaps as good as Cherry's – is it because the machinery is aging? The result looks good to me nonetheless.

DanielT

07 Aug 2014, 15:16

Those look great :) You are right about the alignment on the 1.25u mods, the Control looks centered instead of left aligned. On my 1.5u looks ok, I guess they used the same mold for the legend and that's why it looks that way. And on the 1.25 Shift and arrow would have been enough. But the end result is nice, I like your board a lot, especially the legend on the ISO return is cool :D And I like also the relegendable keys, very nice :)

Halvar

07 Aug 2014, 15:30

My understanding from following Ivan's group buys is that GMK has all the tools from Cherry, and they have all the legends that Cherry made, too. At the beginning, they had only Cherry's legends, but in the meantime they have started to make their own legends, like for example the new Windows logo in the photo.

If the left shift and the control are wrong that's primarily the fault of the one who ordered them from GMK. In Ivan's purple GB, both are correct (I'm typing on them right now), so GMK do have the correct ones.

Grond

07 Aug 2014, 17:01

I like your board a lot, especially the legend on the ISO return is cool :D And I like also the relegendable keys, very nice :)
Thanks! :)
If the left shift and the control are wrong that's primarily the fault of the one who ordered them from GMK.
Yes that's true, but also on the other keycaps I notice uneven kerning and legend width. It's particulary clear when you look at the Os and Cs, and Ts as well. These legends are simply not as sharp and precise as they used to be on original Cherry keycaps. On the other hand, the Windows keys, as much as I hate them, look just perfect. Maybe it's just because the legend is simplier than text, or maybe it's because the mold is newer – hence my idea that legend quality may be deteriorating due to aging machinery.

dustinhxc

07 Aug 2014, 22:39

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

13 Aug 2014, 13:19

dustinhxc wrote: theonetruekeyboard.pung
needs more yellow :maverick:

dustinhxc

15 Aug 2014, 07:35

sth wrote:
dustinhxc wrote: theonetruekeyboard.pung
needs more yellow :maverick:

haha it was dark yellow, then I retr0brited it! ;p

:mrgreen:

:ugeek:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Aug 2014, 13:24

uhh a yellowed HHKB, not something seen often...some more of my boring stuff here:

IMGP6661.JPG
IMGP6661.JPG (103.19 KiB) Viewed 7766 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Aug 2014, 23:31

Bought a new lens, a lovely 100mm f/2 macro lens. Space bar is not really clean, as i see now.

SkiData colours fit perfect to the other discussion board's nostalgia theme :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Aug 2014, 00:46

Brilliant photos madhias, especially the second one!

Topre Enthusiast

16 Aug 2014, 01:58

Agreed -- man I want a 100mm macro lens so bad, but even the non-L series one is like $400 with the L series itself being double that again :(
Chump change when compared to other lenses but still...

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Aug 2014, 02:15

But... you can buy keyboards with that money.

Topre Enthusiast

16 Aug 2014, 02:19

I know, and then I have to deal with this again :(

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2014, 02:30

If you're full frame, I'd get the non-L 100/2.8 macro as a matter of photographic priority. If not, my dinky little 60/2.8 macro is the gem of my lenses, and my goto glass for all manner of flaunting. Such as:

The blur gradient is on purpose, honest…

My brother brought over his recently acquired 100/2.8L macro (along with my Granite set) when he visited. I used it a bit and it's a bloody nice lens, but I can't see the L being worth the extra money. Its killer feature is the stabiliser. If you need a stabiliser when shooting macros, you're doing it wrong. So says grumpy, outclassed me at least. Mind, I got the best of him by taking what he had to admit were its nicest pictures yet!

Actually, one lens I'm keen to try sometime (if I could find someone willing to loan me it) is Canon's oddball full manual macro. I did briefly try the king of the lot in Edinburgh's best and tiniest camera shop: the downright mad 180/3.5L! It didn't seem too upset being asked to wear my tiny 350D for a moment, and gave me a bizarro world of 1.6 crop * 180mm macro telephoto! Well, for just one free minute…

Madhias
BS TORPE

16 Aug 2014, 10:06

webwit wrote: But... you can buy keyboards with that money.
Yeah, i could have bought this industrial SSK over ebay instead of this lens.
photekq wrote: Brilliant photos madhias, especially the second one!
Many thanks, the first lazy attempts, as always without tripod, but with flash.
Muirium wrote: If you're full frame, I'd get the non-L 100/2.8 macro as a matter of photographic priority. If not, my dinky little 60/2.8 macro is the gem of my lenses, and my goto glass for all manner of flaunting. [...]

My brother brought over his recently acquired 100/2.8L macro (along with my Granite set) when he visited. I used it a bit and it's a bloody nice lens, but I can't see the L being worth the extra money. Its killer feature is the stabiliser. If you need a stabiliser when shooting macros, you're doing it wrong. So says grumpy, outclassed me at least. Mind, I got the best of him by taking what he had to admit were its nicest pictures yet!

Actually, one lens I'm keen to try sometime (if I could find someone willing to loan me it) is Canon's oddball full manual macro. I did briefly try the king of the lot in Edinburgh's best and tiniest camera shop: the downright mad 180/3.5L! It didn't seem too upset being asked to wear my tiny 350D for a moment, and gave me a bizarro world of 1.6 crop * 180mm macro telephoto! Well, for just one free minute…
I'm not into Canon that much, but also reading a little bit to know about their products too. With the L lenses you'll get a nice red ring too! The stabilizer could be useful when using the lens as a portrait lens, to get some nice sharp shots in low light. With the nowadays high ISO possibilities even more options to just 'shoot around'. I don't have any stabilized lenses, i had one, but sold it. Problem was for me, that the battery lasts only half of the time.

180mm would be too long for me, even the 100mm is not that short for me on full frame. But my standard focal length is 35mm, so maybe that's why i'm not used to it. I was not sure to buy a ~60mm or ~100mm lens. I only buy used equipment. You get nice lenses for about 2/3 or even 1/2 of the original price.

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2014, 14:41

Canon's 180mm macro is a boutique beast, best suited to hunting after shy insects and the like, rather than static keyboards. I couldn't advise it for anyone's first macro! Although it's the heaviest lump of cold black metal I've ever attached to my camera and make quite the impression on me, used to my 60!

Generally, longer macros give you more options. You don't have to get quite so close to the subject, and don't have to worry about your shadow as much; let alone frightening it away. Short macros make better general purpose lenses than long ones — maybe half the pictures I've ever shot are through my 60mm — but you've got to think even more about the light than usual when you do use them super close up.

Nikon's "micro" macro lenses are awesome too, by the way. For those on the all black side…

You can tell that photography means a lot to me: I'd buy a new lens over an industrial SSK any day. Industrials are nice and all, for collection's sake, but a lens I will use the shit out of!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Aug 2014, 22:14

Since I´m usually strapped for cash and a cheapskate even if I do have money at hand I have come to use old Asahi lenses with my Pentax K-10. These lenses are affordable and feature high quality optics minus the electronics of modern lenses. Good enough for me.
IMGP6675.JPG
IMGP6675.JPG (77.77 KiB) Viewed 7532 times

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2014, 23:50

Lenses are all about the glass. I've never got used to shooting with a stabiliser (only one of my lenses has it) as I notice the snatch and (apparent) delay when I shoot. Autofocus is nice, of course, but actually way less mandatory than people think; especially with macro photography. My old compact 210mm manual zoom is both my cheapest and most magic lens, when given the right circumstances. I keep it on my belt because it's so light and I've grabbed many a great long shot with it, albeit with yellow tint (from its radioactively decayed coating) and a ton of coma and the other classic abberations the kids have to recreate in Instagram these days. It's about the same age as a beam spring or a Model F.

Real photographers shoot manual. When they have to!

Josh

17 Aug 2014, 05:01

Ah
Here's mineImage

Return to “Gallery”