IBM Model F AT not working - LEDs light up on start up

xwhatsit

24 Aug 2014, 00:11

Measuring capacitors with a multimeter set to measure resistance can give some interesting results, especially depending on how your multimeter operates. Capacitors react rather differently to AC, and many multimeters can actually apply a pulsed signal which is AC-enough to cause stuff you might not expect. You need a much fancier device in order to measure ESR (equivalent series resistance) in a capacitor, and to get a trustworthy result you really want to disconnect it from the circuit.

That original controller looks spotless, and they are pretty damned robust so I hope it works out for you :)

Nuum

03 Sep 2014, 21:21

I just got the Blue Cube and the keyboard works, so it was indeed a power problem!
For future reference, I'm using a Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP motherboard and it apparently doesn't deliver enough power over the PS/2 connector for an AT Model F, a Blue Cube does work with this keyboard.

Sorry for the trouble I caused and many thanks for all the help.

andrewjoy

03 Sep 2014, 22:00

Happy you got it working ! Blue cube is where its at, hmm I don't know why newer PS/2 ports don't deliver the power, i am almost sure the IBM will be within the spec of AT/PS2 you know considering IBM designed the standard pretty much. Newer motherboards being out of spec ,lazy b*****ds.

Muirium
µ

03 Sep 2014, 22:13

They just have it as another tick for the feature checklist. You're not supposed to actually use one…

andrewjoy

03 Sep 2014, 22:22

Somehow it makes me want to go back to the old days when a motherboard was a just a bus with a CPU and memory on it. Or a PDP-11 with nothing on the backplane :P

Return to “Keyboards”