Cherry MX old vs. new

ripster

29 Jul 2011, 20:11

Yes. Keyboard Science Uber Alles!

Have you seen the RipOruster?

Looks like it is confirming that stainless steel thing (although still magnetic so not COMPLETELY stainless).
Last edited by ripster on 07 Oct 2011, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

TheSoulhunter

07 Oct 2011, 21:02

ripster wrote: Looks like it is confirming that stainless steel thing (although still magnetic so not COMPLETELY stainless).
Its true that most "stainless" steels are not magnetic, but actually magnetism depends on atomic/crystal structure (ferritic or austenitic) while the resistance to corrosion mainly depends on the alloy components and thier amount... There is magnetic stainless steel as well as non magnetic non stainless steel, so the magnet test is not infallible ;)

itlnstln

07 Oct 2011, 21:04

TheSoulhunter wrote:
ripster wrote: Looks like it is confirming that stainless steel thing (although still magnetic so not COMPLETELY stainless).
Its true that most "stainless" steels are not magnetic, but actually magnetism depends on atomic/crystal structure (ferritic or austenitic) while the resistance to corrosion mainly depends on the alloy components and thier amount... There is magnetic stainless steel as well as non magnetic non stainless steel, so the magnet test is not infallible ;)
Now that's science. This my "TIL" for the day.

IIRC, you work with metals in a machine shop, right?

TheSoulhunter

07 Oct 2011, 23:12

itlnstln wrote:
TheSoulhunter wrote:
Now that's science. This my "TIL" for the day.

IIRC, you work with metals in a machine shop, right?
Right now I build "parts" for trains and trams (mainly aluminum tho),
but my VET involved all kinds of stuff, material science included...

cactux

09 Oct 2011, 12:36

[Account and posts deleted on request]

spolia_optima

09 Oct 2011, 15:00

Speaking only for BLUE switches, I gotta admit that the older ones were nicer.
I've done side-by-side comparisons with the following 2 keyboards:
1989 West German made G80-1800 w/Blues (NIB)
2009 Czech made G80-3000 w/Blues (NIB)
Appearance-wise, the only difference is the shade of blue; the vintage blue stems were what I would call azure, while the 2009 stems were just blue. The only interesting part is that the OLDER blue switches were consistently FIVE GRAMS lighter than the newer switches. Keep in mind that both of these boards were NIB.
Sorry I don't have pictures, these tests were done more than a year ago.

spolia_optima

09 Oct 2011, 15:03

I suspect the same with brown and black switches: older, unused switches are a bit lighter than new switches. This is just from experience.

TheSoulhunter

09 Oct 2011, 16:51

app14lg.jpg
app14lg.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 9509 times
But seriously, even the cheap ones cost 200 bucks :/

ripster

09 Oct 2011, 18:04

You know what they say. Big thumb = big penis.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Oct 2011, 06:56

ripster wrote:You know what they say. Big thumb = big penis.
[irony mode on] Now obviously that's a piece of really topical information with genuine added value for anybody interested in the theme discussed in this thread. [Irony mode off]

ripster is on my ignore list, but unfortunately I sometimes read deskthority threads without logging in and his postings are then displayed. I'm not sure why he consistently posts sexist and sex-related stuff completely unrelated to the topics, but I would suggest he refrains from doing it here.

ripster

10 Oct 2011, 08:07

Hah, I know more about Keyboard Science than you will ever be able to keep in your big..... thumb.

cactux

10 Oct 2011, 13:46

[Account and posts deleted on request]
Last edited by cactux on 10 Oct 2011, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

TheSoulhunter

10 Oct 2011, 16:29

cactux wrote:
TheSoulhunter wrote:
app14lg.jpg
But seriously, even the cheap ones cost 200 bucks :/
Sorry to change a little bit the subject, but I notice that you have a force gage. Do you think you can let me know how much force is required to pullout a keycap in either a FILCO, Leopold, or MODEL M board?
Actually its just a random image of a force gauge i found on the web...
It was a humorous reply to ripters "how to measure without coins" post which was removed >.>

ripster

10 Oct 2011, 16:34

Hahaha - I CAN be trained!

heliar

24 Nov 2011, 22:31

from the way cherry now makes its keyboard, there might be some element of truth in it.

Tarkoon

09 Jan 2012, 21:07

So am I right that these black Cherrys are Vintage MX Blacks? (G80-2551HAD)
vintage.jpg
vintage.jpg (880.1 KiB) Viewed 9330 times
EDIT: Here as comparison a photo of my G80-1800HAD:
new.jpg
new.jpg (870.52 KiB) Viewed 9317 times
Last edited by Tarkoon on 09 Jan 2012, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.

xbb

09 Jan 2012, 21:28

Tarkoon wrote:So am I right that these black Cherrys are Vintage MX Blacks?
yes

JBert

09 Jan 2012, 21:41

How can you tell? The logo seems normal to me...

Tarkoon

09 Jan 2012, 21:45

If I compare to the two pictures in the opening thread:
At the new switches the upper left cherry circle is top alligned with the cherry text.
At the old switches the cherry is higher and bigger. (as on my picture)
Just compare where the top right edge of the Y is located compared to the upper left cherry.

EDIT:
I just remembered that I also own a G80-1800HAD and took a comparison photo. (added it to the post above)
You can see easily that the complete logo is smaller...

kaiserreich

10 Jan 2012, 08:02

Not sure whether the logo is accurate in determining whether the switch is vintage or not.
The 2551HAD was made in 1993, so it should be vintage. (serial number F 36)

I have the same WYSE keyboard shown in the picture below:
The switches has small CHERRY legend, but it was made in June 1993.
If the sizing is used to determine whether the switch is vintage or not, then this 1993 WYSE is not?

xbb

10 Jan 2012, 14:31

I received the G80-2551HAD from the eBay seller, the logo is small compared to the one showed by Tarkoon, but they still feel smooth as my MX1550

Tarkoon

10 Jan 2012, 14:39

What is the production code? F36?

xbb

10 Jan 2012, 14:43

Tarkoon wrote:What is the production code? F36?
yes, serial 87

ripster

19 Mar 2012, 16:53

Not bad.
FLA_4409.jpg
FLA_4409.jpg (222.17 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
Especially compared to IBM's
FLA_4408.jpg
FLA_4408.jpg (278.98 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
Why are the Koreans making gold springs again. For Bling?

Haven't they read Hooke's Law?
Complicated ALPS Spring Comparisons.png
Complicated ALPS Spring Comparisons.png (51.86 KiB) Viewed 9135 times

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 19:21

Latest RipOruster results after one year in the elements.

hmm... I'd add it here but...
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3119 ... RipOruster!

Perhaps Cherry MX is not rustproof, metal never is, but impressive nonetheless.

Safe to say ALPS can also handle a water bath (at least the switch). If bored I'll reassemble the switches and check conductivity.
http: //geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29641

And don't stick your mechanical keyboards in the dishwasher. That would be stupid.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3171 ... post600888

Bathing in the shower MIGHT work...
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3185 ... You-decide

off

12 Jun 2012, 20:29

ripster wrote:Latest RipOruster results after one year in the elements.
Finally a moment to tell you, I still feel that your RipOruster is ripping people a new one.
The IBM spring at least is not comparable to the others, seeing how it touches a coin (that is clearly rusting) and has both a nail on one end, and a tack on the other (presumably with differing metal mixtures); ensuring corrosion taking place..

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 20:56

Experimental DESIGN FLAW!

Also in my link you can see that at Macro levels the pic shows slight oxidization at the spring/brad contact tips!

For anyone doing a PhD thesis using the RipOruster I suggest plastic tiedowns to hold the springs.

Hey, The FRENCH kids used my Wooden Buckling Spring Model in their Science Class. THAT must have got them laid that night!

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... post564781
hello,

we are French students.
As part of our studies, we make a model of a buckling spring keyboard key. We have seen the work of ripster and wanted to know if he could send us the characteristic of your models, particularly your spring.

we are makers of all councils, thanks.

Sincerely.
The Keyboard Works Of Ripster. Would make a good coffee table book.

Gloomy Moonie

26 Aug 2014, 08:46

Sorry to disturb the dead, but is there an audible difference in click pitch between the old and the new MX blue?
Also, is there a friction difference, as there is with the vintage and non-vintage blacks?

Return to “Gallery”