F innards :shock:

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

21 Aug 2014, 12:46

Its in very good shape!

Madhias
BS TORPE

21 Aug 2014, 14:30

I realize that this keyboard is small because of the size of the controller. The controller looks huge! The keyboard looks to be in great condition.

andrewjoy

21 Aug 2014, 14:36

Very nice.

Model F game pad ! Take that N52te :P

macmakkara

21 Aug 2014, 15:41

I bought that from tinnie.. Aaan i have N52te also next to me. Going to do cherry mod on that one.

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 16:10

Nice numpad. What kind of connector/protocol does it use? Do you plan to use a whole new controller?

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 16:13

Presumably the same as the Kishsaver: needs a whole new controller. Got an order with Xwhatsit, Mac?

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 16:15

It's a model M!

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 16:17

But not on the inside!

Those ribbon connectors aren't like the Kishsaver at all, though.

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 16:19

I see membrane connectors, so I guess this only needs a Teensy controller (or converter ?). No fiddly voltage reading, only 1 and 0 ... :)

tinnie

21 Aug 2014, 16:27

it actually got a sdl port or something. I tried to plug it to my computer and it gave me random things.

PM me if you want it. :shock:

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 16:51

Weird, isn't it? That controller looks a bit busy for a Model M's, but I haven't seen especially early ones. The connectors look like they lead from a membrane, though. Yet everything about the main assembly shouts Model F. Maybe the connectors tell the truth, or maybe they're just connecting F insides together. A curious hybrid…

andrewjoy

21 Aug 2014, 17:22

So its a model f with a membrane in place of a pcb, it looks like its built like a model f but with a model m style membrane possibly a prototype of some sort.

I wonder if the springs are the weight of an f or an m

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 17:37

A high-end Model M! No brittle plastic rivets, only a few metal fixtures.

Now I'm waiting for Tinnie to find the Kishsaver-layout brother of this.

macmakkara

21 Aug 2014, 18:08

Muirium wrote: Presumably the same as the Kishsaver: needs a whole new controller. Got an order with Xwhatsit, Mac?
Nope didin't get because i was too late. propably going to order some pcbs and build it myself.

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 18:32

So did you buy the Model F (that tinnie offered together with the kishsavers) or this Model M?

Model F (the case is a bit different):

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 18:37

Hopefully Macmakkara got the Kishy style F. Last I heard, Tinnie still had several. In fact he had a raffle at one point…

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 18:48

I know, but I have to admit I would be hesitant to buy a $50 converter for this. But that's just me. I'm too poor for this hobby anyway.

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 19:33

Yeah, I hear you. That beam spring you're sending me is the most expensive keyboard I've bought this year, and it was a good price too! All my personal keyboarding piggybank has left now is just enough for Xwhatsit's controller to go along with it. I know there's hugely more costly pursuits out there (photography not least) but the more you get into something, the more it winds up costing.

If I'd done what I meant to when I first arrived here — bought a single high end keyboard — I'd have saved myself a lot of expense. But then what? Surely not getting back to work!?!

macmakkara

21 Aug 2014, 20:48

i bought both... i mean model M and F. =D i have some evil plans for those already :evilgeek:

macmakkara

22 Aug 2014, 12:36

I think that this has layout like this http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cf ... /id/474394

Il see that when i get it =)

Muirium
µ

22 Aug 2014, 14:54

A project I'm (waiting on a keyboard arriving before) working on is a replacement Model M controller. Nothing fancy, just Soarer's Controller firmware running on a Teensy at first. But it'll be fully programmable and this kind of keyboard could really use it.

Of course, the next step is then Bluetooth. The board I'm waiting on is my backup SSK!

Halvar

22 Aug 2014, 18:03

Was this posted somewhere already?

https://learn.adafruit.com/convert-your ... ez-key-hid

(Sorry for offtopic, we should start a new thread about this)

Muirium
µ

22 Aug 2014, 18:06

Yes it was posted already. And yes I already pissed on the idea for its SEVERAL HOURS of battery life. But I might still steal some of it! I'll kick open a thread when I know more.

xwhatsit

23 Aug 2014, 10:37

Ooooh I don't know if that's going to work with one of my controllers. I don't think it's capacitive at all, it looks like no Model F (or other IBM capacitive) controller I've seen before; the famous square silver chip is missing (that has all the analogue capsense goodies in it).

I think you'll find it's got a membrane in it and is entirely ohmic. Even if it is capacitive, it'll need some sort of adaptor just to connect to that completely different pinout. You might want to open it up first before you go any further... there might be a way easier way to get this thing up and running :)

I'm glad I saw this thread before I took your money for a controller you couldn't use!

Seeing this thread gave me a fright as in the first batch I sold a controller to a chap who had one of these keyboards after assuring him it stood a good chance of working. I went back and looked at Kishy's photos on his site, and sure enough the keyboard there looks completely different from this one—still a 50-key relegendable unit with the same layout, but seems to have the standard controller and ribbon cable (and definitely is Model F when he opens it up):

http://kishy.ca/?p=894

xwhatsit

23 Aug 2014, 10:39

Oh I see you guys have more or less figured out it's a different keyboard (a Model M version).

dorkvader

24 Aug 2014, 22:05

xwhatsit wrote: Oh I see you guys have more or less figured out it's a different keyboard (a Model M version).
yeah it's this guy:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cf ... /id/474394

sweet find tinnie! There's only a few of those known to exist.

Harry

28 Aug 2014, 09:23

Do you plan to use a whole new controller?

_________
…..Em Mikky…..

Return to “Gallery”