Face U/MX-mini U replica knowledge base

Laser
emacs -nw

19 Sep 2014, 14:10

I created a new issue, I hope i formulated it well:

https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/issues/2

MrMen

19 Sep 2014, 14:26

I just tried at work : everything is ok on bios without rebooting. So it could be something different.

Edit : I'm thinking about one more thing : I changed my firware at the beginning with the (thumb)(fqace)(xten) one. Does anyone have it flashed ?

Laser
emacs -nw

19 Sep 2014, 14:45

MrMen wrote: I just tried at work : everything is ok on bios without rebooting. So it could be something different,
Could it be related to the motherboard powering USB ports (or not) when PC is stopped? Maybe if USB port is powered, the BIOS can see the keyboard (no bootloader delay). That setting should be also related to the keeping of Numlock led on/off after shutdown.

Ok, on my home computer, with latest firmware installed on keyboard (from the Korean site), both BIOS and GRUB can see the keyboard with no problem ( i used DEL to enter BIOS, and arrows to move in BIOS and Grub). BIOS shows USB legacy enabled. Motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula.

albill

20 Sep 2014, 00:44

Nuum wrote: All keys bigger than 1.75u, so normaly Backspace, Shift(s), Enter, Spacebar.
Another noob here. This is my first built KB. Where do I get stabilizers? I tracked down some brown Cherry switches and keycaps on my own but that's it other than the PCB and the plate, so far.

chzel

20 Sep 2014, 00:48

albill wrote: Another noob here. This is my first built KB. Where do I get stabilizers? I tracked down some brown Cherry switches and keycaps on my own but that's it other than the PCB and the plate, so far.
Where are you located?
You have a couple of options, IMSTO has them, GON has them, MOUSER has them.
You need Cherry PCB mount stabs.
There was a GB couple of weeks ago that should be shipped early October, so many people might have spares to part with.

beltet

20 Sep 2014, 01:28

Laser wrote:
MrMen wrote: I just tried at work : everything is ok on bios without rebooting. So it could be something different,
Could it be related to the motherboard powering USB ports (or not) when PC is stopped? Maybe if USB port is powered, the BIOS can see the keyboard (no bootloader delay). That setting should be also related to the keeping of Numlock led on/off after shutdown.

Ok, on my home computer, with latest firmware installed on keyboard (from the Korean site), both BIOS and GRUB can see the keyboard with no problem ( i used DEL to enter BIOS, and arrows to move in BIOS and Grub). BIOS shows USB legacy enabled. Motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula.
It can be. I know for sure that my motherboard puts out power on the USB ports when off. And I can go into the BIOS/UEFI with this board.
But I have a problem that when I use the arrow keys(FN+wasd) they can get "stuck" and I need to release the FN and press the "stuck" key.
I'm a little glad I have "ordered" a new PCB...

Laser
emacs -nw

20 Sep 2014, 01:36

Did you try it with the latest firmware ( ps2avrU_firmware_V1.7_140914.zip at http://blog.winkeyless.kr/17 )?
Just to cover all bases.

beltet

20 Sep 2014, 04:58

Laser wrote: Did you try it with the latest firmware ( ps2avrU_firmware_V1.7_140914.zip at http://blog.winkeyless.kr/17 )?
Just to cover all bases.
Aaaah, no I did not. Will do when I have the possibility.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

20 Sep 2014, 07:17

I have posted also in the GH SPRIT faceW thread, same issue also for the faceW in BIOS, seems to be firmware related.
Maybe this can be fixed somehow in the code.

DanielT

20 Sep 2014, 07:24

albill wrote:
Nuum wrote: All keys bigger than 1.75u, so normaly Backspace, Shift(s), Enter, Spacebar.
Another noob here. This is my first built KB. Where do I get stabilizers? I tracked down some brown Cherry switches and keycaps on my own but that's it other than the PCB and the plate, so far.
If you are in EU this could help you http://www.qwer.io/product-category/acc ... abilisers/ fast shipping, original Cherry stuff :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Sep 2014, 10:14

I had a look at the code. I might be wrong but I don't see any of the code suggested by the AVR usblib to put the device in sleep mode. All sleep seems to do is to turn on/off the LEDs, meaning the device is not actually put on sleep. I'll dig deeper into this as soon as I get some time.

Laser
emacs -nw

20 Sep 2014, 12:42

matt3o wrote: I had a look at the code. I might be wrong but I don't see any of the code suggested by the AVR usblib to put the device in sleep mode. All sleep seems to do is to turn on/off the LEDs, meaning the device is not actually put on sleep. I'll dig deeper into this as soon as I get some time.
It seems to me too - but I'm not good at embedded stuff; in any case, it seems to revolve around defining USB_COUNT_SOF (sleep off?). And what is this expression "using D- as the interrupt source" imply - anything to change at the hardware level (pins), or only in firmware building?

https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/sea ... _COUNT_SOF

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Sep 2014, 14:45

yeah using D- is suggested by vusb lib. They count the cycles the controller doesn't get any signal, if greater than 10000, turns off the light.

DanielT

20 Sep 2014, 15:33

Made an experiment, connected the keyboard to a powered USB hub, and surprise it works both is BIOS and GRUB, tested 10-20 times, each time worked flawless. made the test on 2 computers and it worked.
I think some of the problems are caused by the boot time of the kbd firmware.
I admit my systems are low power because all the action is on the servers, the USB ports are not powered all the time on the thin client, only when the system is up.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Sep 2014, 15:37

I have an over-powered PC but I have the same issues :)

Laser
emacs -nw

20 Sep 2014, 15:46

Unless motherboard BIOS has ON some setting to power USB ports when computer is stopped - this should keep the keyboard alive and snappy when you start your computer. In some cases, i understand it can be a jumper you have to put on/take from your motherboard.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Sep 2014, 16:17

it works with any other keyboard I've ever had

iAmAhab

20 Sep 2014, 16:30

Mine is working perfectly fine in both bios and grub. Have not flashed any new firmware.

DanielT

20 Sep 2014, 17:51

I will test it on one of the servers, when I will have the time, the machines run headless and are piled in my "datacenter" so is complicated to test :lol:
The fact that the keyboard works with a powered USB hub means is power related

beltet

21 Sep 2014, 04:58

DanielT wrote: I will test it on one of the servers, when I will have the time, the machines run headless and are piled in my "datacenter" so is complicated to test :lol:
The fact that the keyboard works with a powered USB hub means is power related
And boot time of the firmware, right?

DanielT

21 Sep 2014, 07:00

Yep, firmware boot time.

teuf

21 Sep 2014, 10:56

Maybe interesting data bit, I came across http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=512 ... msg1471810 yesterday:
« I get a similar problem though, with my ergodox. During boot, it goes to a grub menu, and the ergodox arrow keys are useless. But if I warm boot, sometimes it will work. If I have a regular USB keyboard attached when I warm boot (never first the first, cold boot) then the arrow keys on the ergodox (mass drop / benblazek code) works fine. »
Most likely unrelated to the grub issue in that thread, but who knows :)

DanielT

21 Sep 2014, 11:47

It might be similar, at warm boot works every time, only cold boot is an issue. At least in my case.
Maybe the fw boot time is longer than the POST sequence, so tje BIOS doesn't have the time to recognise the keyboard. This can explain why it works with a powered USB hub.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Sep 2014, 13:54

So, slow down PC boot-up - disable fast boot, activate RAM check or something :D

To tell the truth, for me eventual cold boot problems (and no wake-up by key) are non-issues, as i intend to use this keyboard mainly with my laptop or to hook it when i want to another PC - kind of 'mobile extra goodie'. The only possible issue i met was in AquaKeyTest - sometimes if i pressed a lot of keys very fast, one key was shown as 'stuck' in downward position. Never met it outside AquaKeyTest, but ... I'm not even sure if it's a keyboard problem, or an AquaKeyTest bug.

EDIT: Actually, it must be something else (not related to the faceU keyboard) - it only happens with the left Win key, and only if i press LWin + LAlt at the same time; and i tested with my QFR keyboard and it does the same: if you press LWin+LAlt, LWin shows/remains stuck (downward position) in AquaKeyTest. Phew - at least it's not a faceU problem, after all.

(It seems to be AquaKeyTest bug, if i press another key without focus on AquaKeyTest, while LWin is shown as stuck, OS doesn't perform LWin + key combination. It seems to affect all Alt + modifier combinations, pressed at the same time - maybe pressing Alt steals focus from AquaKeyTest temporarily, enough for the program not to receive the UP event)

albill

21 Sep 2014, 20:36

chzel wrote: Where are you located?
California (Oakland)

DanielT

21 Sep 2014, 20:48

albill wrote:
chzel wrote: Where are you located?
California (Oakland)
You could hunt down a cheap Cherry keyboard on ebay and harvest the stabs and switches. It will be cheaper :)
Some G80-xxx will do :)

albill

22 Sep 2014, 00:17

DanielT wrote: You could hunt down a cheap Cherry keyboard on ebay and harvest the stabs and switches. It will be cheaper :)
Some G80-xxx will do :)
Thanks. That's a good idea.

Laser
emacs -nw

22 Sep 2014, 11:25

Answer from https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU author:
showjean wrote: thank you for using.
this firmware is 6KRO at USB interface. (PS/2 only NKRO)
so, My PC and MACbook recognize this keyboard at computer power up.
but, GRUB was not test.
and, wake-up from suspend/sleep is not supported.
thank you.
Also, tmk_keyboard seems to support v-usb, is this a possible alternative firmware?
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/sea ... 93&q=v-usb

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2014, 14:56

Not supported actively any more.
is the key :)

Laser
emacs -nw

22 Sep 2014, 21:48

Not actively supported still beats not implemented!

In any case, there is some hope for power users:

( 2nd answer from ps2avrU author: )
showjean wrote: After BIOS keyboard recognition at computer power up has a few delay(about 1sec). maybe, I think, your POST message was gone before this time.
I am looking for solution about wake-up. but, I can't until now.

Return to “Workshop”