Man I totally forgott about those :(

Topre Enthusiast

10 Sep 2014, 12:11

This board is apparently available now for ~$110-120 USD

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... pre_clone/

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2014, 13:03

Heh heh, not just the NovaTouch can surprise everyone with its price…

Hypersphere

10 Sep 2014, 14:25

Looks like Noppoo is right down there with KC in the rip-off category.

JBert

10 Sep 2014, 15:18

Hardware programmability would be nice, though it's likely that it won't support anything as well as Soarer's converter...

Halvar

10 Sep 2014, 15:25

Hypersphere wrote: Looks like Noppoo is right down there with KC in the rip-off category.
I agree. Looking forward to the first reviews. What makes Topre special is not that they are capacitive after all, but that they feel great. We'll have to see if KC Noppoo can copy that.
Last edited by Halvar on 10 Sep 2014, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Topre Enthusiast

10 Sep 2014, 15:36

Did I miss something? What/who is KC?

Hypersphere

10 Sep 2014, 15:41

002 wrote: Did I miss something? What/who is KC?
Keycool. Allegedly copying designs from Leopold.

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2014, 15:42

Keycool, I imagine. But what have they done lately? I thought Noppoo was the "thought leader" in shameless ripoff merchants.

Halvar

10 Sep 2014, 16:28

Oops, sorry, I meant to write Noppoo.

davkol

19 Sep 2014, 18:38

It's on Massdrop right now. Leaves a bit bitter taste in my mouth, considering how EliteKeyboards refused to allow them to sell Topre keyboards.

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2014, 19:02

Regional exclusives will be the death of Topre.

Got a Massdrop link? I'm still a grumbly git who won't register…

davkol

19 Sep 2014, 19:10

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2014, 19:15

Thanks. I wonder who will put this head to head with CM's new baby!

QWERTim

21 Sep 2014, 00:03

Muirium wrote: Thanks. I wonder who will put this head to head with CM's new baby!
Hoping to get myself a sample to test out. Got way too many in at the moment though!

Muirium
µ

21 Sep 2014, 00:10

Nice. When they're Interesting ones, they aren't too many! I'm keen to know what these guys have done for stabs, compared to the NovaTouch which has quite inventive ones.

Hypersphere

21 Sep 2014, 00:14

Looking forward to seeing some definitive critical reviews of this clone. In the meantime, I am glad to have my Topre Realforce 87u 55g, which has the high quality and useful features I want in a keyboard.

cookie

22 Sep 2014, 11:17

Believe me, those boards are not even close to a Realforce!
You can apply this golden rule to almost everything in live: "You will always get what you pay for", this may not be valid for scam.

If you want premium, you have to pay premium!

Hypersphere

22 Sep 2014, 16:29

cookie wrote: Believe me, those boards are not even close to a Realforce!
You can apply this golden rule to almost everything in live: "You will always get what you pay for", this may not be valid for scam.

If you want premium, you have to pay premium!
If you have tested the Noppoo board, it would be great if you would care to do a brief review, especially if you could provide some comparisons with RF and/or CM products.

_PixelNinja

22 Sep 2014, 19:44

I'd also be interested if you could provide more details if you have tried the 108EC-PRO. That would be two of you not impressed with this model.

Muirium
µ

22 Sep 2014, 19:52

We're European, of course we haven't tested it! We'll be lucky if it's ever released here.

cookie

22 Sep 2014, 20:12

No I haven't tested the keyboard yet, I'd only be in for spare parts.
Maybe it could be a big suprise?

Hypersphere

22 Sep 2014, 20:16

Muirium wrote: We're European, of course we haven't tested it! We'll be lucky if it's ever released here.
Why aren't there some premium mechanical keyboards being produced in Europe? There was a time when scientists in the USA looked to Europe for all sorts of things, including the best microscopes, cameras, NMR spectrometers, mass spectrometers, chromatography columns, micropipets, and fine reagents. Now, some of the best of these things are being produced in Japan or elsewhere, although some European companies, such as Eppendorf, have actually increased their global markets and product diversity.

Muirium
µ

22 Sep 2014, 20:23

Because keyboards are a commodity item, suffering decades of ruthless, systematic cost cutting. For good reason: as so many people wouldn't know a quality keyboard if it slapped them. Well, they'd notice it. But they'd only feel the weight!

Quality keyboards are a minuscule niche. Besides, we gave up on making our own computers around here not long after Turing invented the bloody things.

Oh, wait, I guess there's Cherry! Hmm…

davkol

22 Sep 2014, 20:26

How isn't Maltron premium?

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Sep 2014, 22:24

cookie wrote: Believe me, those boards are not even close to a Realforce!
cookie wrote: No I haven't tested the keyboard yet …
Speculation! :P

cookie

22 Sep 2014, 23:24

Yes indeed! I might be wrong but I am pretty confident that those two keyboards are not on pair :)
If they prove me wrong I will remain silent ^^

cookie

04 Nov 2014, 19:31

This video could maybe be of interest for some ppl.

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Nov 2014, 23:31

Needs moar Topre thock.

cookie

05 Nov 2014, 10:14

Indeed, I must say that it also sounds a bit scratchy.
But I can't imagine a nice topre thock with 35g domes, once i tried out a linear weight topre, the thock was noticable quieter on the lighter switches!

If this keyboard would sell under 100€ I'd imediately buy one and salvage the domes and plungers! :)

Return to “News”