Face U/MX-mini U replica knowledge base

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2014, 23:42

albill wrote:
Muirium wrote: There is no default. That switch is PCB mount, though because you can see plastic mounting pins on its back, along with the metal legs.

It is also horrendously overpriced! 7bit sells them for about half as much here. If he has the version you want in stock, he's definitely the way to go. (Just never believe his ETAs for things he doesn't have in.)
Thanks. As I said, I'm new so I'm still learning to tell the difference.

I found this place referenced on geekhack as well: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessor ... d-switches
Uh oh: clones!
techkeys wrote: Please note: the Red and Brown switches are Chinese made MX-Compatible Switches, and while fitting and functioning the same have a different style housing.

albill

26 Sep 2014, 00:22

Muirium wrote: Uh oh: clones!
Are clones generally to be avoided?

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2014, 00:30

To be fair, I've never actually tried them. They have a bad reputation, though.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/raz ... t7558.html

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

26 Sep 2014, 09:04

beltet wrote:
DanielT wrote: Tested also USB2PS2 adaptor, no change for BIOS/GRUB. But the keyboard works fine also on PS2 and that is a good thing :)
Vän you test NKRO over PS2?

Sorry! the damn auto correct! And forgot to change language. It should be:
CAN you test NKRO over PS2?
I'll make some tests, I was playing with Aqua's Test and pressing more keys at once and all were registered, at least 6KRO works.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Sep 2014, 09:37

Muirium wrote: To be fair, I've never actually tried them. They have a bad reputation, though.
it happens to cherry as well.

HzFaq

26 Sep 2014, 10:22

Muirium wrote: To be fair, I've never actually tried them. They have a bad reputation, though.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/raz ... t7558.html
I think this picture is the reason "clone" switches have a bad rep to be honest. I used a Rappoo (the board in the picture) for 6 months solid without any problems (it's actually a really nice budget board), and despite all the bad press clone/Kailh switches get I haven't actually seen any first hand accounts of stems breaking. Maybe I'm just not active enough anymore to follow the forums as closely as I used to but I strongly suspect they aren't anywhere near as bad as people make out.
Last edited by HzFaq on 26 Sep 2014, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Sep 2014, 10:24

the switches are just fine. now if you don't want to support bootlegs that is another kettle of fish.

scottc

26 Sep 2014, 10:26

I'm not one to defend Kailh, but apparently they have improved quite a lot since that yellow switch debacle. You have to bear in mind that that Rappoo board was something like 30 euro when it came out. 30 euro!

Anyway, the switches on techkeys might not even be made by Kailh - could we have another clone manufacturer?

I'm tempted to get some of the clones just to evaluate them, but at $9 shipping and $0.30 per switch, it seems a bit silly to get one of each. :(

macmakkara

26 Sep 2014, 11:24

Damn. If you ppl where little bit faster i ordered stuff from techkeys last tuesday and order price went over 50$ so its free shipping :/

DanielT

26 Sep 2014, 11:36

macmakkara wrote: Damn. If you ppl where little bit faster i ordered stuff from techkeys last tuesday and order price went over 50$ so its free shipping :/
Damn :twisted: I wanted some stickers .... Maybe we make a small GB with stuff from techkeys :roll:

macmakkara

26 Sep 2014, 11:43

Yeah i ordered some stickers, krytox and clear covers. But if we do small GB to Eu from techkeys im probably in!

beltet

26 Sep 2014, 21:01

Im in on a GB from techkeys. I want to try the kahli switches. And maybe some stickers.

DanielT

27 Sep 2014, 11:52

I will cook up a plan for a small EU GB from techkeys next week ;)
Now back to the faceU, I tested on an old laptop I have with Slackware, whith the power supply hooked the keyboard worked perfect both in BIOS and LILO, don't know what that means, I guess it has something to do with the voltage on the USB on port at boot time.

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Sep 2014, 13:18

There was also that option in BIOS, "Enable legacy USB" or similar, but you probably did play with that already (on your trouble-matic machine)

quantalume

28 Sep 2014, 20:23

Any word on when/if tinnie is going to get replacement plates made? I'd like to buy my switches, but techkeys only has the plate mount versions. Maybe I will be forced to do an ANSI build after all...

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2014, 20:30

I'd suggest getting switches from 7bit, but you know how that is

If he's actually got it in stock, he's pretty good. Otherwise, yeah, go elsewhere!

beltet

28 Sep 2014, 21:55

I'm wondering about the updated plate aswell. I have asked tinnie but no answer. Problaby busy.

scottc

04 Oct 2014, 17:06

Mine doesn't seem to be working. :(

When I plug it in, the caps lock LED flashes once, then nothing. No input registers.

Edit: By holding Q on boot, I can get it into flashing mode! I flashed keymain_NKRO.hex and then keymap_part(thumb)(face)(XTEN).hex (as per Sprit's instructions in the GH thread linked in the OP), and the same problem remains. Anybody any ideas?

DanielT

04 Oct 2014, 18:29

This is strange, go and check the diodes, make sure that all of them are OK.

Hearing all the stories I feel lucky, didn't had an issue on any of the boards. Now I think, if a 30EUR PCB has issues what will be like on the GH60 PCB's which are way cheaper....

scottc

04 Oct 2014, 18:33

I don't know how the diodes would have gotten broken - it worked fine for a minute until I unplugged it as a test. :(

Maybe I will look into getting a replacement GH60 PCB instead...

DanielT

04 Oct 2014, 18:49

It's a strange behavior..... Can you do the trick with the text editor and pressing LAlt LCtrl RAlt RCtrl RSHIFT for 5s ?
Or test on another computer?
It doesn't seem to be a bootloader issue as long as you are able to flash the firmware on it. Aqua's test reports anything?
GH60 is still in progress it will take a while to be available, I would never get a cheap PCB again, I have my doubts on how good the GH60 will be. I just got a GON NerD60 PCB and if it's what everybody is saying it is I will sell one of my faceU completed boards and get a second GON.

scottc

04 Oct 2014, 19:09

The editor trick doesn't work here, and Aqua doesn't report anything. On Linux, no keys register with xev and nothing appears in dmesg anymore. I can't check on another computer right now, but I don't think that will solve the issue. :cry:

I wish I had spent 2x the amount on a GON, really. I've been waiting for this PCB for about two months now and this is a huge disappointment.

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Oct 2014, 00:27

Also check the USB cable, or the connector; don't let previous posts settle the atmosphere.

scottc

05 Oct 2014, 00:41

Tried with two USB cables - both work fine with my HHKB, and nothing with the face-u. The connector is fine, flashing firmware by holding Q in startup to get into bootloader mode still works, just not the "input" mode.
Laser wrote:don't let previous posts settle the atmosphere
What do you mean?

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Oct 2014, 12:16

scottc wrote:
Laser wrote:don't let previous posts settle the atmosphere
What do you mean?
I meant don't let previous problems (of other people, with their faceU board) "cloud" your testing.

scottc

05 Oct 2014, 12:31

Good point! I'll take a fresh look today and hopefully I'll get somewhere with it.

MrMen

05 Oct 2014, 21:35

After some days of use, I'm quite happy with this faceU but I discovered a little thing. :o

If you modify keycode using a text editor (press combo keys for 5s), they won't be updated when you flash a new keymap with hidflashboot (more or less the name). :twisted:
It's not so disturbing, but I deleted my left control and after that I couldn't go back to the keymapper on text editor, and… it became disturbing. :mrgreen:

But don't worry : just create a new keymap with a left control key somewhere you never use keymapper (typically on alphas) and flash this keymap. Doing this you will be able to access keymapper and revert your F*****g mistake. :D

PS : I post it there because I spend almost two hours fixing this. I hope this could help.

HzFaq

13 Oct 2014, 16:28

scottc wrote: Mine doesn't seem to be working. :(

When I plug it in, the caps lock LED flashes once, then nothing. No input registers.

Edit: By holding Q on boot, I can get it into flashing mode! I flashed keymain_NKRO.hex and then keymap_part(thumb)(face)(XTEN).hex (as per Sprit's instructions in the GH thread linked in the OP), and the same problem remains. Anybody any ideas?
I think I just had something similar happen, I flashed an update to my firmware and after I reconnected the board I couldn't get any keys to register but could get into the bootloader.

My fix was to flash the keymain_NKRO.hex file, disconnect, reconnect and let Windows install whatever it needed to, disconnect again, go back into flash mode and then flash keymap_part(whatever).hex file. I think at some point I deleted the old drivers from device manager (or whatever the Linux/Mac equivalent is), no idea if that helped or not.

beltet

15 Oct 2014, 10:38

HzFaq wrote: I think I just had something similar happen, I flashed an update to my firmware and after I reconnected the board I couldn't get any keys to register but could get into the bootloader.

My fix was to flash the keymain_NKRO.hex file, disconnect, reconnect and let Windows install whatever it needed to, disconnect again, go back into flash mode and then flash keymap_part(whatever).hex file. I think at some point I deleted the old drivers from device manager (or whatever the Linux/Mac equivalent is), no idea if that helped or not.
That sounds likely, windows can be an ass sometimes with drivers.

Anyone that gets a problem there is connects and disconnects like 100 times in a row?
Only happens when I start a game... :(
Otherwise it works good.

macmakkara

16 Oct 2014, 09:23

I have used my faceU sometime already. But still waiting my granite r2 caps. Im propably going to dissassembly this soon (remove leds) to open switches. Lube and stickes + clear tops. Also need to get some SIP sockets to easy remove led mod.

Also propably going to HHKBish layout( backspace above enter) and normal BS split.

Return to “Workshop”