Get the most out of your keyboard

POTV

05 Oct 2014, 21:21

I'm not sure if this is the right place on DT, but I thought I would share a few deas. If you have similar, please join in.

Light... The keyboards, that I like most, don't have have background light. No problem. I bought a 3M LX500 desktop riser witth adjustable height on Amazon and put some LED lights on it with adhesive tape. 3 just below the bottom plate and 1 at the side. It will probably don't end up on Museum of Modern Art - but it works... And because it's LED the lamps don't get warm and can be placed near the keyboard.
1 lys.JPG
1 lys.JPG (206.4 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (427.07 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
The LED lamps are connected to a usb hub at the back.
The LED lamps are connected to a usb hub at the back.
3.JPG (245.71 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
3b.JPG
3b.JPG (245.78 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Storage... Don't have the original boxes? No problem. Ikea sells some cheap and very useful boot boxes for 10 usd.
The lamps are also from Amazon. Price around 10 usd a piece.
The lamps are also from Amazon. Price around 10 usd a piece.
4.JPG (249.37 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (418.61 KiB) Viewed 3754 times

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2014, 21:40

I like the boxes. I could use a bit of regular storage, myself.

One fancy dream is floor to ceiling metal drawers, each one just deep enough for a single keyboard, with internal lights to show it off when exposed… I'll need deep ones for the beamsprings, mind.

macmakkara

08 Oct 2014, 21:54

Are those Ikea Boxes HYFS boxes?

POTV

09 Oct 2014, 01:07

Yes it is. Highly recommended for this purpose.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... S+Boot+box

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Oct 2014, 14:13

I like your storage, very elegant and practical.Nice.I´ve got a couple of mine sitting in my "display" (which is nothing more than ikea billy) right now.
IMGP7073.JPG
IMGP7073.JPG (990.85 KiB) Viewed 3447 times

POTV

11 Oct 2014, 23:50

@seebart, now we are talking business. A really nice solution. And some beautiful species too :-)

seebart

12 Oct 2014, 16:29

thanks POTV,but it´s no real storage solution.It´s a bookshelf actually.Except for the Commodore PC-1 those are my daily drivers at the moment.I never use one keyboard for a really long time,too boring! 8-)

POTV

28 Oct 2014, 22:26

A keyboard cover is practical when you want protection against dust and liquids. And yes, they can be found in big sizes fitting an F-122. Like this german product, which I can recommend. They also have a smaller size suitable for a Model M. (The height is a bit too small for the M version - it rests on the keys.)

Manufacturer:
http://sudu-shop.de/de/fuer-das-Buero-/ ... -Keyboards
foto (9).JPG
foto (9).JPG (474.85 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Oct 2014, 22:34

So, like, how many of you have wives and children?

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2014, 23:25

Also had

seebart

29 Oct 2014, 10:07

A keyboard cover is practical when you want protection against dust and liquids.
very nice solution POTV,at 33,32 EUR a pop too much €´s overhead for me,I´ll be thinking about spending that money on keyboards! :mrgreen: That´s starting to look like a musuem dislpay setup.
So, like, how many of you have wives and children?
some of my children are pictured in that ikea shelf a couple posts up... :mrgreen:

cookie

29 Oct 2014, 10:23

@POTV I do not like backlit keyboards at all, and I must say that I have mixed feelings about your solution with the LEDs. If it works for you, this is totally fine, don't get me wrong :) I generally don't like to work/play in a room where the monitor is the only light source, I have the feeling that this stresss my eyes to much. And I also don't like the atmosphere which comes with it.

I like something like this:Image

It spends nice and warm light and a relaxed atmosphere.

The Boxes are a nice idea but such beautiful keyboards must be visible in a room! I'd highly reccomend a showcase for the verry nice pieces :)

seebart

29 Oct 2014, 10:55

wow that´s a beautiful lamp,very stylish!

POTV

29 Oct 2014, 11:28

What a lamp, I'm really impressed. And yes, I like the showcase thought. I'll think about it :-)

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2014, 11:31

I would showcase, but for the fear of yellowing ABS! Even up here in Scotland there is still enough UV to bother me, and I do so much like natural daylight in my working environment…

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Oct 2014, 11:36

fohat wrote: So, like, how many of you have wives and children?
:D

My wife recently "allowed" me to have a shelf above my desktop to put there some keyboards. Now there are keyboards in the kitchen, in the living room and in the dressing room. Especially dirty ones gotten from Cindy are not well-received. I also hope that our little boy never swallows some caps, springs or other small keyboard parts.

cookie

29 Oct 2014, 12:23

Muirium wrote: I would showcase, but for the fear of yellowing ABS! Even up here in Scotland there is still enough UV to bother me, and I do so much like natural daylight in my working environment…
Good point, but there are UV resistant glass or foil! And if you put some LED inside of the showcase, your beloved keyboards should be protected of yellowing.

Return to “Keyboards”