and you are going to start throwing things but i like outlook 2010

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 14:07

they tell me tixati is nice for torrent

Topre Enthusiast

22 Oct 2014, 14:22

What a fall from grace for μTorrent.
It was a breath of fresh air back in the early BitTorrent days with its advertisement of minimal memory footprint and all that jazz. Now it has ads and a paid version with stupid stuff like virus scan and video player (yawn). I put up with it until only recently when I switched to qBittorrent...first experience with that was a bad too as the release I downloaded had a bug with forward slashes in the directory path which broke magnet links.

Maybe I'll try tixati in 7 years when the planets align and the magical combo of me being bored out of my mind and annoyed at my torrent client all occur at once :)

ماء

22 Oct 2014, 14:40

uTorrent theme more comfortable indeed ,but Tixati more stable I think
I have a memory with uTorrent also when i downloads 14 GB eat several months 8-)
but when downloads complete, i've bored... :lol: :x

kvad

22 Oct 2014, 15:54

matt3o wrote: What email client you people use?

I'd like something slim, fast and able to handle multiple accounts. Mailbird is very nice but it doesn't have an unified inbox. Thunderbird is a hog, anchored to 1995 concept of email :P
Postbox is pretty decent. Been using it for the last 4 years or so after switching from Eudora. Main highlights for me are the support for tabs (so I can have multiple messages and views open at the same time). Views for attachments and images so I can find a file from 3 weeks back without trying to remember who I got it from or what the filename was called. Ability to add attachments from previous messages easily from the compose window. Annoyances are completely broken hi-dpi support (so I don't use it on my laptop) and a spellchecker that doesn't follow the selected language in the OS (have to manually change all the time when I write one message in Norwegian and another in English).

Not sure if it's going to be your cup of tea though - it's interface is a bit more in the advanced category than the simple (... and at least for me, too primitive) one in Mailbird. I have no performance issues with it though.

I've been looking at Outlook (2013) too a couple of times, and it's actually surprisingly nice if you just customize it a bit - but that Word HTML renderer they still use makes it a no go for me. A pity.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 16:49

I might be completely wrong, but isn't postbox a rebranded thunderbird?

I don't mind "advanced" features, I find mailbird too simplistic myself, but I like softwares that do one thing and do it right.

Edit: yeah I double-checked. postbox seems a re-skinned thunderbird, I don't know how heavily they customized it, but the core is the same

andrewjoy

22 Oct 2014, 17:53

oh for torrent i use a transmission port , i doth know why but i just find that program easy to use the others ( windows based ones ) are a bit messy

Julle

22 Oct 2014, 23:01

matt3o wrote: I might be completely wrong, but isn't postbox a rebranded thunderbird?

I don't mind "advanced" features, I find mailbird too simplistic myself, but I like softwares that do one thing and do it right.

Edit: yeah I double-checked. postbox seems a re-skinned thunderbird, I don't know how heavily they customized it, but the core is the same
Yes, it's pretty much Thunderbird. They didn't even bother to fix the new mail notification bug. What a waste of money.
chzel wrote: Opera Mail is quite nice
It's been so long since last update to Opera Mail I'm beginning to wonder if it's in active development anymore. I guess email clients for desktop computers are a dying breed except for the major corporate ones.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 23:35

mailpile looks actually pretty nice, but it has a looong way to go, and I'm afraid it will just die

kvad

23 Oct 2014, 00:08

matt3o wrote: I might be completely wrong, but isn't postbox a rebranded thunderbird?
It is based on Thunderbird - true, but if the interface is to your liking it's certainly not a waste of money. Never had an issue with performance running on my desktop or my old laptop (new laptop is hi-dpi so it stays off that one).
Julle wrote: I guess email clients for desktop computers are a dying breed except for the major corporate ones.
It's a bit weird that, isn't it? Despite the rise of web clients you'd think there was still a giant market out there.

andrewjoy

23 Oct 2014, 00:32

If you have a decent volume of email there is no way you can handle them with a web client, and the less said about the new gmail interface the better basic HTML is so much better.

I have been trying out apples mail client and its ok but i don't like the way you cannot hide the preview pain in classic mode.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Oct 2014, 07:49

isn't this windows software thread? :D

andrewjoy

23 Oct 2014, 10:16

you can run OSX in a VM on window's so it counts :P

Zaakessiron

23 Oct 2014, 11:14

CLCL
- http://www.nakka.com/soft/clcl/index_eng.html

Small and simple program really useful if you copy paste a lot. Press [Alt + C] and it brings up the last 20 things you copied (20 is the default value can be increased). Also has function to save a copied entry as a template that can be assigned to a hotkey.

ماء

23 Oct 2014, 11:51

andrewjoy wrote: you can run OSX in a VM on window's so it counts :P
no just buy hackintosh 8-)

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Oct 2014, 12:14

The Bat!

cookie

23 Oct 2014, 13:54

what is wrong with gmail?

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2014, 14:22

Webapp. Doesn't work with other providers. No local backup. And can be killed at Google's whim. Sign me up!

fifted

23 Oct 2014, 19:27

Outlook for work, Gmail for personal for me. Fun options to consider here, though.

gogusrl

23 Oct 2014, 21:33

takes screen captures, uploads stuff to imgur/paste.bin/etc, etc. click the link
https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX

Sumatra PDF Reader (fastest / most lightweight pdf reader i know. no adds, no crap, no nothing).
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sum ... eader.html

Real time bandwidth usage monitoring with taskbar integration (wish it had a latency display as well).
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

OSFMount iso mounting tool (daemon tools replacement)
http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

andrewjoy

24 Oct 2014, 09:55

gogusrl wrote: OSFMount iso mounting tool (daemon tools replacement)
http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html
http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

is also pretty good for that

oh and if you have multiple monitors display fusion is very good

http://www.displayfusion.com/

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Oct 2014, 11:40

This is the a list of software I've done merging all the suggestions given in this thread plus some of my addition. Hope you like it and help me keeping it up-to-date.

I try to put just one software for each task (not category, each category may have multiple software) unless there's no real winner.

File system Internet/Mail/FTP/... Office/Documents/Text Editors Productivity/Utility/Others
Last edited by matt3o on 02 Nov 2014, 09:07, edited 3 times in total.

ماء

24 Oct 2014, 12:03

All of your list only tixati i ever use :?

Cherry1990

25 Oct 2014, 01:16

File Commander still better than Far Manager, for my taste. Last time I checked Far Manager, the "directory size calculation" was not active. I think it is a very useful function of File Commander.
File Commander was an original software made for OS/2. Very old software. Norton and Volkov Commander are the only older one. ;)
matt3o wrote: File system

andrewjoy

25 Oct 2014, 01:55

i will have to give file commander a go. i love old software for stuff like that many modern alternatives have added shit you dont need and removed important stuff. Old software also uses less ram, ram is cheap nowadays yes but several 10s of MB for a file manager is inexcusable.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Oct 2014, 11:39

Cherry1990

31 Oct 2014, 13:59

matt3o wrote: you mean this http://silk.apana.org.au/fc.html ?
Yes, this one. THE original one! ;)

Daniel Beardsmore

31 Oct 2014, 22:48

I've just shut down StrokeIt and downloaded and launched StrokesPlus. StrokeIt is effectively dead and the developer seems to have no interest in fixing a bug where the overlay window (that's used to detect the gestures) just sits on the taskbar for days.

StrokesPlus doesn't appear to have this bug and it also has the ability to interact with high-integrity processes without needing to be started elevated using Task Scheduler. (Now if only AutoHotkey could do that ;-)

Muirium
µ

01 Nov 2014, 15:22

436544542.628633.jpg
436544542.628633.jpg (37.74 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

ماء

10 Nov 2014, 14:52

there any way to move index of file://C,D,E:/ ?? to flashdrive/ssd

Return to “Off-topic”