cookie

29 Oct 2014, 18:06

Uhh okay, my bad!

shreebles
Finally 60%

29 Oct 2014, 18:57

c137 wrote: It's "just" 179,99€ ;-)
Plus shipping, 188€.
At that price, one might as well get an actual Topre for 250€ shipped...
Would be much harder to resist at 125€.

Hypersphere

04 Nov 2014, 21:27

In my latest experiments with keycaps for the NT, I found the following:

+ Thick PBT dye-sub set from geng-feng: Great appearance and PBT feel; loose fit on some of the stems; bottoming-out clack, but I don't mind the sound. O-rings lessen the bottoming-out clack, but they have a marked effect on the keyboard action that I do not like; moreover, they result in less contact between the switch stem and keycap stem, so that the already loose keycaps can pop off while typing.

+ Thin standard DCS profile double-shot ABS set from SP: Excellent fit on the switch stems; minimal bottoming out clack so that you can finally get more of a Topre "thock". To me, this set seems to work the best of any I have tried thus far on on the NT. I think that at least one reason for this is the fact that the SP caps don't have the cross-member support struts found on the underside of many Cherry mx keycaps. This may allow the keycap stem to extend more deeply into the switch stem.

Although the SP keycaps seem to work well with the NT, I wish that SP had dye-sub PBT sets in DCS profile. I much prefer the surface feel of PBT over ABS. In addition, the pure black/white color scheme of the standard SP sets is rather stark.

Update: Regarding the standard DCS thin ABS doubleshots from SP, previously I had not installed the complete set on the NT. All the keys work fine with one exception: the Enter key. The Enter key clacks, just as all the keys did with the thick dye-sub PBT set.

At first, I thought it was the SP keycap, so I tried other Enter keys from SP with the same result (I have 2 sets; one black and one white, so that I can get a two-tone color scheme on 2 boards).

Next, I tried Enter keys from the Leopold PBT blank set, a vintage Dolch set, and a vintage Cherry set -- all with the same result: clack!

I have concluded that the problem lies with the hybrid Topre switch/stabilizer on the NT keyboard.

To alleviate the clack on the Enter key, I installed red 40A-L O-rings. I put one O-ring on each of the 3 stems in the Enter keycap. I also tried black soft landing pads, black 50A-R O-rings and blue 40A-R O-rings, as well as just one red O-ring on the center stem. I got the best result with 3 red O-rings; one on each of the 3 stems on the Enter keycap. This treatment results in the Enter key having about the same sound as the other keys; however, this makes the Enter key feel slightly mushier than other keys, and it is raised up higher than the other keys. These differences in the Enter key as a result of the O-rings do not seem to matter to me while typing, and on balance, I prefer having the improved sound for the Enter key.

The NT now seems more "Topre like", and subjectively at least, it now seems even quieter than my 55g RF 87ub. I am very pleased with the spacebar, which is quiet, and it responds evenly no matter where it is struck along its length.

The downside to the standard DCS thin doubleshot SP keycaps is that to me they look cheap. In particular, I have white alpha keys with black mods, and the black keys look like cheap pad-printed caps, despite the fact that they are doubleshots. Moreover, the keys have that clammy ABS feel rather than the slightly textured dry feel of PBT.

I don't know why I persist with the NT. It shouldn't require such a degree of fiddling to make a keyboard right, but I am determined to find the optimal formula for making the NT look, sound, and feel good while being as functional as possible.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

06 Nov 2014, 09:34

For those interested the NovaTouch TKL has arrived in our EU Warehouse and has started shipping to the local countries and shops. And listings are also starting to pop-up :mrgreen:.. As for example on our own CM Store; http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/novatouch-tkl/ but most local ISO and ANSI layouts are available in local shops..

Stay tuned ;-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Nov 2014, 09:45

now all we have to do is wait for a price drop :P

cookie

06 Nov 2014, 10:19

After all the excellent NT rewiews and the negative feedback about the ratteling noise an keycap quality, CMs response to all this is a NT teaser?

Well okay...

JBert

06 Nov 2014, 16:12

CM Bram wrote: For those interested the NovaTouch TKL has arrived in our EU Warehouse and has started shipping to the local countries and shops. And listings are also starting to pop-up :mrgreen:.. As for example on our own CM Store; http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/novatouch-tkl/ but most local ISO and ANSI layouts are available in local shops..

Stay tuned ;-)
Some pictures of the ISO version in your webshop would be great...

Hypersphere

06 Nov 2014, 19:20

After more fiddling with keycaps on the NT, I just can't get quite the right combination. Thin SP caps tend to give the best overall sound, except on the Return/Enter key, but these are clammy ABS. I've put dye-sub PBT back on in order to get the dry PBT feel, but now I get clack on most keys. O-rings affect the key travel too much and the already loose caps pop off while typing.

Today I am back to my RF 87u 45g. What a difference! The RF has everything tuned correctly. The stock dye-sub PBT caps work beautifully, as do the genuine Topre replacement sets. Right now, I have the alphanumeric and arrow keys in blue with black legends -- beautiful. And of course the RF has additional features, such as DIP switches, red LEDs for Num Lock and Caps Lock, and an embedded numeric keypad. The typing sound and feel are superb; very smooth.

Let's just hope that Topre/Realforce stays in business.

whitecitadel

11 Nov 2014, 09:34

Its up on the cm EU website this morning: http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/novatouch-tkl/

Only in US or QWERTZ layout though, no UK... :( (ok I could swap caps on DE but for €180 I want a set of caps I can use as well!)

(EDIT)According to webpage here is the full list of options that apart from DE and UI are all out of stock:
  • UI (US International)
    DE (Deutsch)
    GR (German)
    SW (Switzerland)
    ND (Nordics)
    RU (Russian)
    UK (United Kingdom)
    BE (Belgium)
    FR (France)
    IT (Italian)
    SP (Spanish)
    US (United States)

cookie

11 Nov 2014, 09:54

I'd recommend to swap the caps with pbt anyway :)

whitecitadel

11 Nov 2014, 10:38

Or Round5 ;-)

gioele

11 Nov 2014, 11:18

I would appreciate a "naked" ISO version: just give us the keyboard, we have plenty of keycaps.

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2014, 14:31

Yup. I've been pestering for an extra, nude, SKU all along. I doubt CM would like to do that, though. It wouldn't save much cost, so wouldn't be much less expensive for us, and then there's always the danger of misunderstanding when someone orders one and has no idea what to do with it!

chzel

11 Nov 2014, 15:10

whitecitadel wrote:
  • DE (Deutsch)
    GR (German)
Mighty confused...what do they mean? :? :?

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2014, 15:17

GR = Greek, surely.

detto87

11 Nov 2014, 15:28

For this price I already get an HHKB Pro 2 or Realforce 55g.
Of course without the keycap compatibility, but also I practically HAVE to buy a keyset for the NT because the default ones are meh. So that's 180 for the board + shipping + keycaps. :roll:

chzel

11 Nov 2014, 15:49

Muirium wrote: GR = Greek, surely.
That's what I thought too, but if you look at the source of the page, it lists the available models just like whitecitadel posted them, and then hides the ones out of stock.
Probably they will correct it in the future.

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2014, 16:03

detto87 wrote: For this price I already get an HHKB Pro 2 or Realforce 55g.
Got a link? I'd love an HHKB or 55g Realforce TKL for less than a fortune. But customs and shipping makes them significantly expensive boards.

Hypersphere

11 Nov 2014, 17:45

As an aside, WASD keyboards offers "barebones" versions sans keycaps. Thus, there is a precedent for this that CM might emulate with the Novatouch.

barkweed

11 Nov 2014, 19:46

Here in Sweden, it can be pre-ordered for 173€, with free shipping.

The alternative is a Realforce TKL from keyboardco.com, which is 264€ shipped. With lousy (IMO) black-on-black PBT caps that cannot be replaced (I don't know of any alternative Topre PBT nordic/Swedish cap set available anywhere?).

Can't or won't use the included caps on any of them, so that makes zero difference in the price comparison for me.

Hence I'll go for the Novatouch, and have 91€ left to spend on dampening solutions to try to get it closer to the Realforce feel. :)

Clarification: the Topre PBT caps are by no means lousy, but I don't want them in black and definitely not with black print. Black-on-black = lousy, is what I mean.

Topre Enthusiast

11 Nov 2014, 22:41

Muirium wrote:
detto87 wrote: For this price I already get an HHKB Pro 2 or Realforce 55g.
Got a link? I'd love an HHKB or 55g Realforce TKL for less than a fortune. But customs and shipping makes them significantly expensive boards.

Here you go.
55g Uniform White Realforce 87U for just over €150 :) minus shipping, Tenso fees and crazy EU taxes but still likely cheaper than keyboardco

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2014, 22:45

Thanks to ail of the above imports really are a princely extravagance!

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/i-w ... ml#p192954

We need dodgy friends in Japan.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Nov 2014, 00:09

if someone is *really* interested I might be able to help.

Muirium
µ

12 Nov 2014, 00:14

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak…

chzel

12 Nov 2014, 00:17

Same here...

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

12 Nov 2014, 11:07

Hi guys,

As for the listing on our CM Store is only German and US/UI layout available because we wanted to send as much stock as possible to the local partners. Most should have the product already live, for some others it might take a few days.,... Listed here below:

Benelux:
Alternate - 4Launch - Azerty - CD-ROM-LAND

Germany:
getDigital

United Kingdom:
Scan - CCL - OC UK

Scandinavia:
Komplett.no - Komplett.dk - Komplett.se - Jimms

France:
Rue de Commerce - LDLC - Material.net - Pure-Gaming

Italy:
Drako.it - Eprice - AK - AlienPC

Spain:
PC Componentes - Alvicius - New Home PC - Aussar

Greece:
Kotsovolos - E-shop

Poland:
Gamedot - Agito

Serbia:
Gigatronshop

Russia:
4FRAG - Goodgame

And last, as for the offering of layouts in EU we will have:
German, UK, Nordic, France, Italian, Spanish, (ISO)
Russian, US/UI (ANSI)

cookie

12 Nov 2014, 11:49

*removed inappropriate comment because of bad english skills*
barkweed wrote: and have 91€ left to spend on dampening solutions to try to get it closer to the Realforce feel. :)
Well well, I am working on something for that particullar problem, I will announce more details soon.

barkweed

12 Nov 2014, 14:12

cookie wrote:
barkweed wrote: and have 91€ left to spend on dampening solutions to try to get it closer to the Realforce feel. :)
Well well, I am working on something for that particullar problem, I will announce more details soon.
That's very interesting, and perfect for me since I don't even know how a Topre switch is supposed to be. :oops:

Well, I have a sample switch + cap from Mr. Interface, but one switch does not a keyboard make.

_PixelNinja

12 Nov 2014, 14:35

CM Bram wrote: Hi guys,

As for the listing on our CM Store is only German and US/UI layout available because we wanted to send as much stock as possible to the local partners. Most should have the product already live, for some others it might take a few days.,... Listed here below:

France:
Rue de Commerce - LDLC - Material.net - Pure-Gaming

And last, as for the offering of layouts in EU we will have:
German, UK, Nordic, France, Italian, Spanish, (ISO)
Russian, US/UI (ANSI)
Hi Bram,

Kinda lost here. Vincent told me not to publicly communicate on the available outlets as to not 'offend' the other retailers due to limited stock. Is it okay now?

Return to “Keyboards”