So what exactly is the "outbox"?

epicepee

16 Nov 2014, 00:09

Is it the most recent PM you sent to a given person? What does it mean?

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Nov 2014, 00:11

It's a message you've sent, that has not been opened/read yet :)

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Nov 2014, 01:57

It's a trash heap of purgatory where everything sent to 7bot just rots for eternity.

Muirium
µ

16 Nov 2014, 13:57

You can delete them if they stick around for ages and annoy you. (I always delete mine to 7bot once I get an invoice back. OCD!)

But they're basically useful. Can see when someone's read what you've sent them. Or at least opened it…

chzel

16 Nov 2014, 14:02

Unless they read it from the notification email and don't bother to open it!Guilty of that to some extent!

Muirium
µ

16 Nov 2014, 14:51

Although I really like them personally, those notification emails have their disadvantages:

http://deskthority.net/club-discussions ... ml#p192841

Perhaps we should mangle the message text with ROT13 (or some practical cypher) for 7bot to keep working, while forcing the rest of us to go to our inbox? Or maybe only 7bot gets full message contents in the notice emails? (If that's technically doable, I'd like our outbound PMs to 7bot to be automatically marked as read so we avoid the Outbox purgatory Daniel described. Everyone has it!)

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Nov 2014, 15:01

Muirium wrote: You can delete them if they stick around for ages and annoy you. (I always delete mine to 7bot once I get an invoice back. OCD!)
There's just something that screams "WRONG!!!" about deleting messages from an outbox. Outbox specifically means the container for messages that have not been sent, so deleting from it prevents the messages from being sent.

I won't accept that 7bot has any intelligence or any worth until it can figure out handling messages properly.

The rest of the Outbox is just a mess. I've got 9 messages in there, and I can't tell which are stuck because the person read the message in his mail client, and how many are stuck because the recipient is just useless. (I went around and marked read a while back such that all the messages that I'd read in my mail client would clear from people's outboxes.)

bhtooefr

16 Nov 2014, 16:35

Mind you, phpBB supports making it so you have to view the PM on the forums, which nicely solves the outbox problem.

Findecanor

16 Nov 2014, 16:49

On some forums using phpBB, a message in your outbox can be edited. I don't know if that is enabled here...

chzel

16 Nov 2014, 16:55

I believe it can only be deleted.

Nuum

16 Nov 2014, 16:58

I've edited my PMs several times while they where still in the outbox, so it is possible.

Muirium
µ

16 Nov 2014, 18:27

Yes, it is. But people who read them in the notification email won't see your edits. Those are sent immediately, then never updated.

ماء

16 Nov 2014, 18:29

so Cherry Mx never open/read my pm :lol:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Nov 2014, 18:39

epicepee wrote: Is it the most recent PM you sent to a given person? What does it mean?
that´s the best question I´ve read in a while! Thank you for asking epicepee, because that´s the sort of thing I allways forget to ask! ;)

I think the message it also still editable in the "outbox", is that right?

Halvar

17 Nov 2014, 10:39

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I won't accept that 7bot has any intelligence or any worth until it can figure out handling messages properly.
Ha ha ...

In other news, I won't accept that Siri has any worth until I can have sex with her.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2014, 13:44

Phone sex?

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Nov 2014, 21:48

Halvar wrote: In other news, I won't accept that Siri has any worth until I can have sex with her.
Surely that's more of a hardware limitation than a software limitation? The phone only has a 3.5 mm jack.

DosPordes02

26 Nov 2014, 09:36

it's where you save your favorite messages or your blackmail messages wahaha

billm

11 Jan 2016, 23:00

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: It's a trash heap of purgatory where everything sent to 7bot just rots for eternity.
that really seems to be the case.

shreebles
Finally 60%

11 Jan 2016, 23:09

PS: Sure am glad this is the OT forum :D

Muirium
µ

11 Jan 2016, 23:13

I burn my Outbox with fire occasionally, as you do. Only 12 items there today. None to 7bot. I nuke those straight away.

Return to “Off-topic”