OS X Yosemite: Do you Like the Look?

jacobolus

30 Oct 2014, 19:06

Khers wrote: I hate Yosemite at the moment.[...] The reason for this is two-fold. Firstly, a lot of the programs that I use are not Yosemite compatible atm, not too bad since most of them are being released in the near future. Worse is the fact that ever since installing Yosemite my computer freaks out a couple of times a day. [...] Anybody else experiencing something similar and/or know a solution?
Long-time Mac users know that you should never upgrade until approximately version 10.X.2; the 10.X.0 and 10.X.1 releases are always a little buggy. :)

Hypersphere

30 Oct 2014, 22:12

jacobolus wrote:
Khers wrote: I hate Yosemite at the moment.[...] The reason for this is two-fold. Firstly, a lot of the programs that I use are not Yosemite compatible atm, not too bad since most of them are being released in the near future. Worse is the fact that ever since installing Yosemite my computer freaks out a couple of times a day. [...] Anybody else experiencing something similar and/or know a solution?
Long-time Mac users know that you should never upgrade until approximately version 10.X.2; the 10.X.0 and 10.X.1 releases are always a little buggy. :)
After making a few tweaks, I am adjusting to the altered aesthetics of Yosemite, and I have not encountered any problems with applications, despite the fact that I use quite a few non-mainstream programs. The only thing I've noticed on two of the four Macs on which I've installed Yosemite is that I keep getting pestered for my iCloud password, despite the fact that I have never registered for this. I fear that this has something to do with the dreaded Keychain -- an aspect of OS X that I have never properly understood or liked.

Khers

30 Oct 2014, 22:34

Grabbed a potato of the crazy pattern:
Imagine that, flickering like crazy!

andrewjoy

30 Oct 2014, 22:44

That looks gpu related to me mate i would get that checked out.

Khers

30 Oct 2014, 22:51

The thing is that everything was running smoothly until Yosemite struck. Guessing that there are some issues with the gpu drivers (or similar) for my model.

andrewjoy

30 Oct 2014, 22:54

its possible i guess, you got an external HDD ? you could install 10.9 on that so you dont have to kill your install and test it

Khers

30 Oct 2014, 23:02

Installing on an external never crossed my mind, thanks for the tip! :)

Muirium
µ

30 Oct 2014, 23:32

Remember to hold Option at boot to select between drives. Nice shortcut when up to this stuff.

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2014, 13:15

Regarding the text not looking good in 10.10 on none retina macs , i have just done a advanced screen calibration on the 2009 macbook i have in work and it looks way way better now i don't know whats been going on with it before i had it but it was wayyyyyy out

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

21 Nov 2014, 18:17

well i still don't like it too much but i'm back for the official release now.

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2014, 22:48

oh by the way talking on 10.10 server. yeh ehh don't import a list of open directory users from a 10.6 server into server 4.0 it will overwrite the diradmin account and it wont let you create any users log in or change any passwords :P

I found that out the hard way , lucky for me there is a workaround simply backup the now broken OD and reinstall server, import that and it will create a new diradmin account then you can reset the passwords of your users and boom fixed. It should never import the diradmin account but apparently it does if its a pre 10.10 OD good job apple.

i wish i had just gone live with 10.9 and server 3.x but i wanted the shiny !

jacobolus

23 Nov 2014, 02:51

andrewjoy wrote: Regarding the text not looking good in 10.10 on none retina macs, i have just done a advanced screen calibration on the 2009 macbook i have in work and it looks way way better now i don't know whats been going on with it before i had it but it was wayyyyyy out
The issue is not that the text looks bad on any particular type of screen. The issue is the Helvetica Neue is an abysmal typeface to use for UI. Helvetica as a typeface is effective for two things: (1) corporate logos of companies that want to seem old and boring, (2) posters aiming for a particular aesthetic, [and while we’re at it, (3) keycap legends that want to look like 80s IBM]. It’s totally played out for all of these use cases, but sometimes played out is what someone is going for.

It’s a terrible typeface to use for extended text, or whenever legibility is important. As a UI font, it is a very bad choice, because to be at all legible, Helvetica must be set at a larger size, and space is at a premium for UI elements. Helvetica as a UI font makes UI text look fuzzy, sickly, cluttered.

I find it just as bad a choice on “retina” vs “non-retina” displays.

jacobolus

23 Nov 2014, 02:53

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Nov 2014, 11:41

Khers wrote: Grabbed a potato of the crazy pattern:
Imagine that, flickering like crazy!
I also have this problem on my company MacBook, but only in application windows from time to time, about 4-5 times in a week. First it appeared directly after the update, in the app store application window (but not in the menu bar).

What is a much bigger problem for me are random freezes, where the mouse can be moved, but the system does not respond. The Mac can only be turned of with the power switch. There is a big thread in the Apple support community with many people reporting the same problem, all of them with MacBooks with Retina display. I contacted already the support and also a 'super' support who checked the system, but it did not help until now. Every time i thought it's gone, a day later it happens again.

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2014, 11:49

Never reassuring when someone says "I ain't seen it", but it's true. I've run Yosemite since DP1 on my Retina 15" MacBook Pro, and never saw that once. Mine is the Intel-graphics model.

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Nov 2014, 11:52

I think as far as i read through the support thread(s) it only appears with models with separate graphics unit (both problems: system freeze and weird graphic effects).

Khers

23 Nov 2014, 18:32

I've found a halfway solution to my issues. As I wrote earlier in the thread, I was contemplating downgrading to Mavericks. Before I did that however, I read that other people on Apples support forums had similar issues also in Mavericks, so I held back on a full downgrade since it was quite a while since I had a Mavericks backup at that time and thought that it would be a bit of a hassle that I did not quite have time for at that point.

In the end, the solution I found was to turn of all transparency settings and I've had no issues since. Given the sporadic nature of the issue though, I am not sure for how long it will stay fixed.

Completely unrelatedly, I found myself in the apple reseller store in town today and had a look at the 5k iMac. What a beautiful screen! I felt a sudden urge to buy one on the spot, but luckily found my way out of the store before buying one.

andrewjoy

24 Nov 2014, 10:39

That happens to me all the time, i keep getting an urge to buy a none unibody macbook pro from 2008 the one with the 512mb of Vram and the upgraded high res screen. Mmmmm matte screen.

jacobolus

24 Nov 2014, 12:46

Khers wrote: Completely unrelatedly, I found myself in the apple reseller store in town today and had a look at the 5k iMac. What a beautiful screen! I felt a sudden urge to buy one on the spot, but luckily found my way out of the store before buying one.
We got one last week. It’s AMAZING.

andrewjoy

24 Nov 2014, 14:24

jacobolus wrote:
Khers wrote: Completely unrelatedly, I found myself in the apple reseller store in town today and had a look at the 5k iMac. What a beautiful screen! I felt a sudden urge to buy one on the spot, but luckily found my way out of the store before buying one.
We got one last week. It’s AMAZING.
dont taunt the man :P

oh more OS X server stuff if you have network home folders and you use MS word you need to have a folder called .TemporaryItems with the permissions 1770 in the root of the directory with the home folders in or nobody can save in office :P you may also want to create a group that all OD users are in and make that the owner of the folder ( took me 5 hours to work that out :P)

Return to “Off-topic”