Joys of work

Touch_It

25 Nov 2014, 17:43

Out of the blue I got a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD from Help Desk for my work laptop. :D

Muirium
µ

25 Nov 2014, 17:54

They don't have another one, do they? <sigh…>

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Nov 2014, 19:07

congrats on that SSD. I´m quite happy with my Toshiba HG6 256 GB SSD, but your Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD will outperform any Toshiba. If that performance is noticable in daily useage is another question.

Findecanor

25 Nov 2014, 19:44

Don't forget to install the firmware update on the 840 EVO. The stock firmware has a bug that slows down read-performance after a month or so.

Touch_It

26 Nov 2014, 06:40

Indeed. I will probably do it sometime this weekend. On that note I need to do that on my 840 250 gb on my desktop sometime as well.

edit @ Muirium, I'm going to take a guess that when I ask the Help Desk manager for an extra one, hes going to decline lol.

rofltheory

26 Nov 2014, 09:52

Free stuff from work is always good

andrewjoy

26 Nov 2014, 10:56

i upgraded my work mbp with an ssd 120gb only as my budget is a bit thin to say the least at the moment and i have about 20 mac minis to replace. i think they will be getting mac mini 3.1s no way i can afford to replace them with new ones

Touch_It

06 Dec 2014, 15:24

Well now I've got the idea to write up a proposal for a Unicomp B.S. Board for work. I'm cautiously optimistic. My friend somehow got blu tooth ear buds approved so this shouldn't be too hard.

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2014, 15:39

Noise cancelling headphones will be next, once you've got a Model M in the office!

mr_a500

06 Dec 2014, 16:02

I wonder if anybody has the guts to take a beam spring with solenoid to the office. I don't think they'd live long after that.

Touch_It

06 Dec 2014, 16:50

Lol yep. But for my office mate. I love noise! @Muirium I don'T have a beamspring but once I get my 4704 107 key I will bring it to work. In plan to put a solenoid in it. I don't imagine it lasting more than a day or two lol.

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2014, 16:56

I'm not sure how practical* people's ideas are of putting solenoids into the Kishy family. The 62 key is too small, but the 107 key is simply longer, right? (I don't have one, but that's my understanding.) They are damn low profile for Model Fs. I guess it's possible to mount something in the extra horizontal space, but I'd open one up and check before getting the solenoid. They're not minuscule, and they need mounting.

*Then of course comes the matter you mentioned: when can we ever really use[i/] a solenoid! Still, I insist on getting the separate boards for their native beam springs!

Touch_It

06 Dec 2014, 17:09

You have a point. I have mine cracked open for painting atm. I guess I just assumed that everything would fit. Based on size,. But it is just longer than a kish by maybe 6 inches?. I'm pretty set on it though as I would use it at home where noise isn't an issue. I would love a beamspring but both money and finding one are concerns for me. At any rate though it may be months before I even have a solenoid and board.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

07 Dec 2014, 15:03

This book is hilarious. Changed my outlook on the cube farm.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Joy-Work-Happ ... 0887308716

Return to “Off-topic”