Request for advise: TKL keyboard for Round 5 keycabs

pcaro

11 Dec 2014, 12:23

I am waiting for Round 5 keycaps from 7bit (alpha white, tkl grey) and I think they need a better keyboard than my keycool k-5 (brown mx). I am happy with the keycool but the leds for scroll and caps are below the keys and I need a Christmas present for me ;)

Searching a good keyboard for writing (not gaming, I programing), for long years of use , ANSI layout, plated-mounted blue switchess with colstar stabs. I don't need backlight. I live in Spain and sometimes shipping costs are a problem, so keyboard with a Europe retailer is a win. Also I prefer a case with a light color (but I cant paint if necessary).

Options I found:
* Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro $99 in banggood. Cheap. Good quality keyboard? Better than my keycool?
* WASD V2 87-Key Barebone. Brown switches. $100 + $50.10 (send) + $40? (duty taxes).
* CODE 87-Key MX Green $165.00 + $50.10 (send in wasd) + $40? (duty taxes). Expensive: $255. I don't know green switches.
* FlashGet G600 87. MX Blue Switch. Pretty case with metal chassis! Very Cheap $85 in banggood.
* CM Storm Quickfire Rapid $160 in ebay

Can you suggest something please?

andrewjoy

11 Dec 2014, 12:46

How about a filco ?

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Dec 2014, 13:04

I suggest to look for one of the keyboards that support a replacement controller:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_repl ... ontrollers

Why? Because you can level up very easily to a completely programmable keyboard which makes the total price / quality ratio unbeatable.

Perhaps buy the cheapest CM Storm QFR that you can find, regardless of the switch type, then unsolder-resolder blue/brown/clear switches and (recommended) buy-replace the controller too (as shown in the link above). If you do that, you even have a GUI-based firmware & keymapper here.

pcaro

11 Dec 2014, 13:24

andrewjoy wrote: How about a filco ?
Filco Majestouch-2? Why better than me Keycool? Excuse me but I am not a keyboard expert. I see I can find it in beige

pcaro

11 Dec 2014, 13:34

Guau! Opensource controller? I am a linux user and opensource supporter but have no experience with solders..

Anycase, this give more points to QFR + custom comtroller. You need to unsolder to plugin the new controller?

Laser wrote: I suggest to look for one of the keyboards that support a replacement controller:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_repl ... ontrollers

Why? Because you can level up very easily to a completely programmable keyboard which makes the total price / quality ratio unbeatable.

Perhaps buy the cheapest CM Storm QFR that you can find, regardless of the switch type, then unsolder-resolder blue/brown/clear switches and (recommended) buy-replace the controller too (as shown in the link above). If you do that, you even have a GUI-based firmware & keymapper here.

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Dec 2014, 13:36

:)

No, no need to unsolder the stock controller to replace it: the PCB has a socket mount from which it can be taken out easily
(you just need to remove the top case)

pcaro

11 Dec 2014, 13:42

Laser wrote: :)

No, no need to unsolder the stock controller to replace it: the PCB has a socket mount from which it can be taken out easily
(you just need to remove the top case)
More points... More points. And code in github to fork... A list of compatible keyboards? Only the ones mentioned in the wiki (a lot of ellipsis there ...)?

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Dec 2014, 13:45

You'll have to search further on your own - but from my understanding, those listed are the only compatible keyboards, and the ellipsis are for the newer variants that were launched afterwards, and which weren't tested yet - as manufacturers could have altered something - or not). Or, there may be some not so popular, or limited edition keyboards that use the same PCB as the listed ones.

BTW, Filco has a better tradition and reputation than Keycool, people use(d) to compare other keyboards quality to that of Filco's. Not to say Keycool is not good quality or something (mine works very well) - it probably just didn't earn its reputation yet.
Last edited by Laser on 11 Dec 2014, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

pcaro

11 Dec 2014, 13:59

Thanks @Laser searching I am ...

Return to “Keyboards”