MX Clear with 62g korean springs...

Cherry1990

15 Dec 2014, 02:10

Some months ago I bought two sets of 100 (to be precise 102 and 96 pieces) korean spring (the "gold" one) rated 62g.
I swapped the springs to my Cherry G80-3000LQC keyboard. It has PCB mounted switches and it was easy to keep both springs at the same time for some tests. For me these 62g korean gold spring are not too different from the original one.

I am the only one in the world who do not feel a big difference between these two cases. :?

To replace 104 keys I spent more than 50% of the cost of a new Cherry G80-3000 keyboard. I think it was not a big deal for me...

I summarize what various users have written:
scottc wrote: My 50g springs cause some "sticking" with MX clears.
macmakkara wrote: My 62g Also cause "sticking" but it was fixed with lube.
Nuum wrote: My springs have arrived and are already installed. Now I have 60g MX Clears ... At first glance they feel really nice and they seem to be exactly the right weight for me
scottc wrote: My 62g springs feel nothing like my MX clear springs. The 62g are noticeably lighter.
BlueBär wrote: MX Red, Blue and Brown springs are in the area of of 58-60g.
I have new MX Brown and they are A LOT lighter than my 62g k. springs...

I think that my originals MX Clear springs, 10 or more years old, where much more lighter than NEW Clear springs.
Laser wrote: Did you read the wiki, maybe you simply have vintage clears (with light springs). Or just big hands.
I checked the DeskThority Wiki here but not found anything about old Clear springs. I clearly remember that, when I bought my keyboard, the MX Clear were rated at 65 cN, like today.
If Cherry has changed something, I don't know. ;)

I am writing now these rows with my Cherry G80-3000 with gold korean 62g springs. The feel I get is a LOT different from new (2014) MX Brown: more rubber-like and less "clicky" than Browns. And the actuation force is bigger.
In the next days I hope to get a new G80-3000 MX Blue from Germany and I want to try also these Blue springs to see what changes... I will update this topic. Sorry for bore you... :cry:

P.S.: I just changed main keyboard from IBM Model M to this Cherry G80-3000. Feeling is less fatiguing but also less satisfactory. I think it is impossible to compare these two keyboards. Too different. IBM Model M is better for my ego, MX Ergo Clears are better for my fingers...

My original first message is here.

Nuum

15 Dec 2014, 08:41

Springs from a MX Brown do feel lighter than 62g springs, as do the ones from MX Reds and MX Blues. As far as I can tell MX Brown/Red/Blue springs are the same weight as the 60g springs, maybe a tiny little bit lighter. Keep in mind that Cherry rates the actuation force and the Korean springs are rated for the bottom out force.
I think sprit has said somewhere that the force curve on his 62g springs is a bit steeper than on MX Brown/Red/Blue/60g springs. MX Clear springs have the same effect, maybe that's why you can't feel a difference.
Are you really sure that you have got 62g springs and that you didn't accidentally get 65g or 68g springs?

BlueBär

15 Dec 2014, 09:50

Nuum wrote: Keep in mind that Cherry rates the actuation force and the Korean springs are rated for the bottom out force.
This! You can't compare 65cn actuation force and 62g bottom out force.

andrewjoy

15 Dec 2014, 10:51

on a similar topic but same area

the lightest of the custom springs are lighter ( but only slightly ) than new-ish MX red/brown/blue springs

i do think that as springs age they get lighter as i have some old blacks ( but i don't think they are vintage with the lighter springs) and they feel closer to MX red than the new blacks i have

Cherry1990

15 Dec 2014, 13:00

Nuum wrote: Are you really sure that you have got 62g springs and that you didn't accidentally get 65g or 68g springs?
I was thinking the same thing this morning... I will collect some EURO coins to do the "money test", the only one I can do...
I have also old & new Black and I am waiting for new Blue and Brown... I am just curious...
sprit1 wrote: My 60g is noticeably lighter than 62g.
I don't know, I have 62g only. :cry:
sprit1 wrote: I have assembled 50g, 55g, 60g, 62g boards, many people know the differences, IMO
People can feel the difference between 60g vs. 62g? Or 50g vs. 55g? Mixing springs in the same keyboard, people can recognise one spring from another? Are they human or robot? Mmm... Sounds strange...

I cannot remember where I read it but, for sure, KEYCAPS made a big difference. I have very thin and light PBT Cherry keycaps on my G80-3000... Probably, with thick keycaps, the ergo clear feel can be better... I will try with Ducky CCnG thick PBT keycaps...

Nuum

15 Dec 2014, 13:13

As I said, you can feel the difference in the force curve steepness between 62g and 60g. I'm not sure if I could indentify a single 60g or 62g, but I think I can in direct comparison.

Laser
emacs -nw

15 Dec 2014, 13:27

Cherry1990 wrote: People can feel the difference between 60g vs. 62g? Or 50g vs. 55g? Mixing springs in the same keyboard, people can recognise one spring from another? Are they human or robot? Mmm... Sounds strange...
Yes, people can feel the difference between such springs. Maybe not directly, not pushing one spring than another, but you can feel it very well when you put a certain spring weight on the whole keyboard, and you type for some time. It's a 'feeling' that grows after some time, different each time, if around your desired spring weight interval. For example, when typing with MX clear springs, or with MX black springs, i feel that fingers become tired much faster. When typing with 62g vs. 65g, i clearly feel that 62g is still a little 'too light' for what i want, while 65g is 'almost there'. Which is why i will go in the future with 68g/72g. I suspect that people with 'lighter' hands feel the same differences for 50-55-60-62g springs, simply because they compare them with their 'perfect, yet not there' weight spot.

Example: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44749.15

BlueBär

15 Dec 2014, 13:44

Laser wrote: When typing with 62g vs. 65g, i clearly feel that 62g is still a little 'too light' for what i want, while 65g is 'almost there'. Which is why i will go in the future with 68g/72g.
Same for me. Vintage blacks were too heavy for me, stock blue/red/brown springs too light. Tried 62g, found them too light and used 65g which were nice but after using them for a bit too light as well. Future boards will get 68g (I built a 67g board for a friend and it's perfect in my opinion).

Khers

15 Dec 2014, 14:21

I have both 62g and 68g switches and there is really no mistaking which switches are the heavier ones. A 6g difference is surprisingly easy to feel.

Prelim

31 May 2015, 18:47

BlueBär wrote: Same for me. Vintage blacks were too heavy for me, stock blue/red/brown springs too light. Tried 62g, found them too light and used 65g which were nice but after using them for a bit too light as well. Future boards will get 68g (I built a 67g board for a friend and it's perfect in my opinion).
soz for the thread revival... I'm planing to get some vintage MX blacks but I'm afraid they would end up being too heavy as well. So far I'm a fan of SPRiT 65g (standard springs) on my 1800 MX black and I find them to be just perfect (I've also considered 62g, but they are way lighter than 65g and come down pretty close to reds, which I hate)

My problem/doubt is that SPRiT refers to vintages blacks as being 68-72g... so @BlueBär, how can one find vintages "too light" and then choose 68g springs (which can be the same)? :/

BlueBär

31 May 2015, 20:13

The weight of old switches simply depends on use. I have had vintage blacks that were as heavy as new ones and a lot lighter ones on the very same board. I'd recommend getting the 67/68g ones if you want them just a tad heavier than the 65g.

davkol

02 Jun 2015, 15:02

I use vintage blacks with sprit's 78g v1.2 springs. Something along the lines of the "ghost black" mod. It highlights the "typing on a cloud of boobs" effect, while feeling reasonably light even at actuation.

Prelim

02 Jun 2015, 15:26

davkol wrote: I use vintage blacks with sprit's 78g v1.2 springs. Something along the lines of the "ghost black" mod. It highlights the "typing on a cloud of boobs" effect, while feeling reasonably light even at actuation.
humm 78g isn't heavier than stock vintages?

BlueBär

02 Jun 2015, 15:42

Stock blacks are around 80g.

davkol

02 Jun 2015, 15:54

Prelim wrote:
davkol wrote: I use vintage blacks with sprit's 78g v1.2 springs. Something along the lines of the "ghost black" mod. It highlights the "typing on a cloud of boobs" effect, while feeling reasonably light even at actuation.
humm 78g isn't heavier than stock vintages?
Doesn't matter. These springs are lighter at the beginning of the keystroke and at actuation.

Prelim

03 Jun 2015, 12:30

that makes sense, I always felt the same about SPRiT 65g v1.2... much lighter at the beginning and only harder near the bottom out, which I love ;)

Return to “Keyboards”