What are you listening to at the moment?

photekq
Cherry Picker

17 Dec 2014, 14:15

Good stuff Daniel and fifted :D

ne0, haven't heard that song in a year or two. Such a nice song.

cookie

17 Dec 2014, 14:19

This one is awesome and just the right thing today!

ne0phyte
Toast.

17 Dec 2014, 15:19

I'll just post some of my most listened songs of the month according to last.fm :D

ne0phyte
Toast.

18 Dec 2014, 17:12

ماء

18 Dec 2014, 17:33

8-)

woody
Count Troller

18 Dec 2014, 20:36

Muirium
µ

26 Dec 2014, 22:47

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Dec 2014, 23:21

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Dec 2014, 22:41

ullr

29 Dec 2014, 06:24

Wow, I guess my youth is showing. I didn't see anything I recognized until page 17 saw Anaal Narkrath (which I don't like - too cheesy IMO) and Nails.

I listened to that band "Jungbluth" and liked it. I've been going back towards emo, screamo, and post-hardcore just a little lately.

For me the name of the game is noise (power electronics, industrial), ambient, and black metal.

I was listening to the album "Total Servitude" by Akitsa when I saw this thread.
I'm into black metal, noise, ambient, experimental and shoegaze, including:
I Am a Lake of Burning Orchids, Prurient, Have a Nice Life, Vegas Martyrs, Wounder, Sun Devoured Earth, hana sumai, Kristallnacht, The Antlers, Ash Pool, goreshit, Laurel Noose, My Bloody Valentine, Raspberry Bulbs, I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism in Your Yearbook, DATING, Morose, Avellie, Joy Division, Akitsa, Dolores, Vatican Shadow, Giles Corey, Hate Forest, Deafheaven, clipping., Flourishing, Nahvalr, Liturgy, Circle of Ouroborus, Kanye West, Herukrat, Peste Noire, Drudkh, Red House Painters, Ben Frost, Yellow Swans, Fuck Buttons, Roman Cross, Lonesummer, American Football, Bone Awl, Suffocate for Fuck Sake, Prurient & Kevin Drumm, JK Flesh, Clouds Collide, Ghost Bath, Ruined Towers & Broken Bridges, Chambering, Contrepoison.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/hal-ullr

Muirium
µ

29 Dec 2014, 14:57

When I was a kid, I was into old jazz. When I grew up, I was into new jazz. Much easier to find it nowadays, too.

Khers

29 Dec 2014, 15:06

Not really what I usually listen to, but I do enjoy a bit of chiptunes every now and then:

fifted

29 Dec 2014, 21:14

Chiptunes, too, but more tempo, more glitches, more manic. (Less cool cover, sorry.)

Eszett

31 Dec 2014, 18:59

A grotesque crossover:

the - as people say - most brillant musician ever (i. e. Mozart)

meets

the - as people say - most dumb music genre (i. e. Techno)

photekq
Cherry Picker

03 Jan 2015, 15:04

Just got my favourite song on vinyl.

ne0phyte
Toast.

03 Jan 2015, 15:44

Eszett wrote: the - as people say - most dumb music genre (i. e. Techno)
I'd argue that only dumb peple say that - considering that music is 100% subjectively :mrgreen:

fifted

05 Jan 2015, 18:07

Organist doing double duty on bass, and the happiest drummer ever.

Stabilized

05 Jan 2015, 18:44

Eszett wrote: the - as people say - most brillant musician ever (i. e. Mozart)
I thought the most brilliant musician is considered to be Beethoven or Bach.
Tbh the music of the Classical era is probably best defined by Haydn, who was Mozart's teacher and father of both the symphony and the string quartet.
I know Mozart is more of a name synonymous with the genre of 'classical music', but I think it's a very bold claim to say anyone was the 'most brilliant'.

mr_a500

05 Jan 2015, 23:35

(Oh good - a classical discussion...)

"Most brilliant" would also depend on the era. Composers learned based on what had come before them and they were constrained by the "fashion" of their times. Mozart was certainly brilliant, but I don't like most of his works because of the style of his era - the "Classical" era - mostly major keys, speed/volume/mood changes, linear. I consider the previous Baroque period to be superior because it was more complex, multi-layered and keeping mood/speed/volume consistent throughout the piece.

If Mozart were born 75 years earlier, then we could better compare Mozart with Bach (imagine the awesome Baroque Mozart could have done). It's also a bit of a "popularity contest". There are amazing works by lesser known composers. Also, there are many lost compositions, destroyed by war or lost over the centuries. Possibly the real "most brilliant musician ever" was some unknown, lost to history. It's fascinating to think about.

I always think that modern musicians could certainly learn from classical music - especially multi-layered Baroque. I think that's why I can tolerate some European "modern" music - because they, unlike American "artists" (I hate that word applied to music), are more often classically trained.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jan 2015, 23:46

Baroque huh? I guess we won't be music friends, because obviously its killer Beethoven stands lonely at the top. :twisted:

mr_a500

05 Jan 2015, 23:55

I like to think of Beethoven music as diamonds glittering in a pile of shit.

Actually, it's not that bad, but Beethoven is soooo inconsistent. He believed that you should convey every emotion in a piece of music. To me, that's psychotic. I think each piece should have its own emotion.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jan 2015, 00:07

Nice, Beethoven the Psychotic. :lol: A much better rant than the usual classical music fan snobbery that Beethoven is basic stuff for beginners. Needs more layers!!

Muirium
µ

06 Jan 2015, 00:09

I like the work he did for A Clockwork Orange. Electric suits him.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jan 2015, 00:38

You can bend most music to a style. Like La Folia.

Baroque copycat:
Today:

ne0phyte
Toast.

06 Jan 2015, 02:16

It's a shame. Looking at his latest releases it seems like Tiestos time is over.

mr_a500

06 Jan 2015, 02:18

webwit wrote: You can bend most music to a style. Like La Folia.

Baroque copycat:
Ha! That's the piece I liked from Barry Lyndon. I sampled it on my Amiga and reversed it. I like it better backwards.

cookie

07 Jan 2015, 10:28

I love classical music, I really do but I hate the sound of harpsichords... what a terrible invention! But without them, we probably wouldn't have pianos now, which are one of my favorite instruments!

Hypersphere

07 Jan 2015, 15:22

cookie wrote: I love classical music, I really do but I hate the sound of harpsichords... what a terrible invention! But without them, we probably wouldn't have pianos now, which are one of my favorite instruments!
I enjoy the harpsichord, forte piano, and piano. I'm surprised that I like the pianos, because I tend to think that strings were meant to be plucked or bowed, not struck with hammers. If I had to pick just one instrument, I think it would be the cello, but my favorite musical instrument changes at least as often as my favorite computer keyboard.

mr_a500

07 Jan 2015, 16:27

cookie wrote: I love classical music, I really do but I hate the sound of harpsichords... what a terrible invention!
I'm not too thrilled with harpsichords either - especially solo pieces or concertos with long solos. Actually, I don't like any type of concerto with solo sections. That's why I like "concerti grossi". ("man, that concerto is gross!")
Hypersphere wrote: If I had to pick just one instrument, I think it would be the cello, but my favorite musical instrument changes at least as often as my favorite computer keyboard.
I'd pick the cello too - or even better, its ancestor the viola da gamba.

Stabilized

07 Jan 2015, 17:30

mr_a500 wrote:
cookie wrote: I love classical music, I really do but I hate the sound of harpsichords... what a terrible invention!
I'm not too thrilled with harpsichords either - especially solo pieces or concertos with long solos. Actually, I don't like any type of concerto with solo sections. That's why I like "concerti grossi". ("man, that concerto is gross!")
I think harpsichords are great in period reproductions in an orchestra, but I couldn't put up with one playing a solo piece.
mr_a500 wrote: I'd pick the cello too - or even better, its ancestor the viola da gamba.
I personally love the Viola with sympathetic strings, the Viola D'amore.

Return to “Off-topic”