So I made a workbench

Parak

10 Dec 2014, 23:01

A bit different from my typical keyboard fare, but maybe this will serve as an inspiration for someone and stuff.

My semi-diy (apartment life..) options for a custom sized workbench were fairly limited, but I went for aluminum extrusions. Mostly. There's not really any guides out there that describe how to put one together, even though 8020 catalogs mention them as a possibility. So, I made a quick mockup of it in MayCad to get the sizes figured out, but mostly purchased via 8020 overstock and similar cheapo outlets. Feels kinda bad for the MayCad people, though I did sort of pay for it later when I realized that I needed some parts made differently, which wouldn't have been an issue if I ordered through MayCad.

Anyway, aluminum extrusions are these things, although they come in a vast amount of flavors:

Add some aluminum plates for surfaces:

And piles of related hardware:

Well, expensive, but I was very space constrained while also needing a place to work on various projects.. which typically means keyboards. It's actually cheaper and more custom than a Lista for example, and I suppose it will also last a couple of lifetimes. It currently looks something like this:

but it's still a work in progress as evidenced by a couple of last pictures in the full album. Album has some more notes for each picture, too. To be continued :shock:

Topre Enthusiast

10 Dec 2014, 23:06

That's really cool and looks so sturdy!
Nice lamp ;)

andrewjoy

10 Dec 2014, 23:31

I spy a datavc :)

very cool workspace! Is that rubber ESD matting ?

Parak

10 Dec 2014, 23:57

andrewjoy wrote: I spy a datavc :)

very cool workspace! Is that rubber ESD matting ?
Tis. A bit dirty already from being on my computer desk for a while, which had to double as a 'workbench' :(

I do need to properly ground it still, as I have the wrist strap and a dual connector as well..

andrewjoy

11 Dec 2014, 00:29

just remeber to connect the strap to mains earth and not the mains hot :P

Parak

12 Dec 2014, 23:18

Wheee

quantalume

23 Dec 2014, 07:38

OMG, where did you get that clock?!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 Dec 2014, 13:09

quantalume wrote: OMG, where did you get that clock?!
an impressive workbench with a very stylish clock! :shock:

Parak

25 Dec 2014, 01:22

quantalume wrote: OMG, where did you get that clock?!
Same place where I get most of my other stuff... ebay. These I got a while back, after being curious about IBM wall clocks.. most were round with a white face, but these were square with a silver face, so I grabbed them for being a bit unusual. No second hand, though.

Muirium
µ

25 Dec 2014, 01:29

Hmm…

http://ibmcollectables.com/gallery/IBM-Clocks

Must… resist… more… stuff!

Return to “Gallery”