Keyboard storage/ display ideas?

ShivaYash

04 Jan 2015, 16:46

Hello,

I have several KBs now, as I am sure many of you do as well.

How does one store/ display their boards, when not in use?

I am a slave to keeping boxes, but am running out of storage space for these.

I think a trip to MUJI may be useful but hope to get a feel for the solutions of others here.

With best,
SY

Hypersphere

04 Jan 2015, 17:06

My new keyboards are stored in their original boxes. Old keyboards awaiting restoration are in storage boxes that are roughly 24 x 12 x 3 inches; these are large enough for my biggest keyboards, such as the IBM F122. I have shelves in my study and in an adjacent walk-in closet for the boxes. I keep up to three keyboards in my active rotation on my workstation near the computer. To keep the dust off the keyboards in my active rotation, I use the plexiglass keyboard roofs sold by EK. After I complete more restorations, I would like to sell most of the collection, but I would like to keep a few of the classics and put them in a display cabinet. I do not yet own a display cabinet -- it is on my longer-term shopping list.

IvanIvanovich

05 Jan 2015, 21:38

I've been meaning to get some shelves like these...

With angle I think it is perfect to really show off some keyboards. I suppose they are meant for magazines and such, so the trick will be to find one that is sturdy enough for heavier boards so it doesn't tip over.

ShivaYash

05 Jan 2015, 21:57

Nice. But dust covers would be required. I dislike the 'roofs' available online. The muji clear plastic trays are lovely but just a tad too short for tkl. They fit the poker II and HHKB.

Nuum

05 Jan 2015, 22:19

Also the sun! It'll yellow your precious keyboards, at least in my room it hits just about every spot throughout the day almost the whole year.

ShivaYash

05 Jan 2015, 22:21

Uv filter required.

CeeSA

05 Jan 2015, 22:36

nothing new here:
lack keyboard stand 1.jpg
lack keyboard stand 1.jpg (143.16 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
It's an old picture. Replaced many boards.

Muirium
µ

05 Jan 2015, 23:10

IKEA Lack shelves, eh? Very elegant. I've thrown everything onto my Billy shelves for now, but yours looks much snappier. I'd only need about 3 of them for my boards… there's definitely some that won't fit.

Looking at IKEA's wesbiste just now, behold ripoff Britain in action. We pay £50 ($76.24) vs. America's $49.99 (More than 50% less) and we don't even get the red option! Pay way more for less, as always. Gack.

Hypersphere

05 Jan 2015, 23:59

@CeeSA: Elegant! Now if we could just get the keyboards to levitate and float in mid-air without the need for shelves....

hoggy

06 Jan 2015, 07:30

Plate stands?

Most of my boards are in boxes, stacked in a cupboard that's a pain to get into. :(

I've made a few cloth bags to cover the the keyboards I keep at work.

Ceesa, I'm sure I've said it before, but those shelves are amazing.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Jan 2015, 09:40

nice CeeSA! Very elegant. Of course my "larger" kb's will not fit on that:
IMGP7892.JPG
IMGP7892.JPG (968.83 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

Return to “Off-topic”