Post your keyboard/keycaps!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

21 Jan 2015, 14:50

Thanks :) I'm really proud of this board, it took me some time to get the money for all the parts but I'm really happy with how it feels and looks.
And on Esc I have a Nixie Black couldn't afford a full board 8-)
Spoiler:
NerD60_Black_Nixie.JPG
NerD60_Black_Nixie.JPG (314.82 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
I have to thank Alin and his colleague for the nice case, it was a Christmas present :roll:

andrewjoy

21 Jan 2015, 16:29

So basically vintage back with a spring about the same as a red ? Nice , planning on the same thing myself. Did you find you had to lub the black ? Did you replace the whole switch or just the slider ?

DanielT

21 Jan 2015, 16:58

At least for me SPRiT 55g feel much better than the standard MX Red, the compression curve of the spring (I think I used the correct term) is different, so the feeling is different, for me is better.
I used vintage blacks where I replaced only the spring, the rest is stock MX Vintage Black.

I tested with lubing, in my opinion it was just time lost. For me there was no improvement, at least not something that would make it worth the trouble. I let my wife test the board with some of the switches lubed and other not, without telling her which where which, her conclusion was that all felt the same...

What I did lube where the cherry stabs, and it made a huuuuuuge difference together with the clipping of the plastic thingy's, that was a real improvement, it made the stabs feel smoother and reduced the noise, I can recommend doing that.

aaron

22 Jan 2015, 22:04

My first selfmade keyboard

* jackhumbert's planck plate (http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/plan ... lit=planck)
* jop3j0e's TinyMega (hand soldered, http://shackspace.de/wiki/doku.php?id=project:tinymega)
* MX-Black switches recycled from an old Cherry G80-1851LPMDE (ebay)
* DSA Keycaps from 7bit's grab boxes (http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/rou ... t9122.html)
* tmk's Firmware with custom layout/actions

I love this community :)
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (106.17 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (71.73 KiB) Viewed 7281 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Jan 2015, 22:55

wow aaron, great job! Very stylish with those cap colors. Awesome for your first project. ;)

Medowy

23 Jan 2015, 12:23

Very nice work aaron! Love the color scheme too!!

aaron

24 Jan 2015, 01:20

Thanks!

ullr

25 Jan 2015, 01:35

DanielT wrote: I just have to post this - Galaxy Class on a Nerd60 with heavy silver aluminum case:
What case is this, exactly?

DanielT

25 Jan 2015, 10:08

It's a case from Qtan, something from Taobao. It's powdercoated not anodized but it's really nice. He still has some on his web shop.

Prelim

28 Jan 2015, 22:55

my poker ;)

Last edited by Prelim on 01 Feb 2015, 02:02, edited 4 times in total.

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jan 2015, 22:56

x-post. g81-3081saf + g81-3077sau

few more here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/115722906 ... 535547575/

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Feb 2015, 17:55

Old pic of a 2100hdf + 2000had caps. Thanks for both kbdfr ;)

andrewjoy

04 Feb 2015, 18:10

That caps lock cap is .... sensational, i do like me a good lock symbol been thinking of nabbing the one off of my 122 F for my SSK.

Caps, Tab ,Shift, Enter and backspace should all be symbol only IMO. Have you also noticed that US mac keyboards have command and option on them but EU ones just have the symbol ? Interesting !

EDIT
wrong thread for pic
Attachments
IMG_20150202_101648.jpg
IMG_20150202_101648.jpg (880.08 KiB) Viewed 6999 times

Muirium
µ

04 Feb 2015, 18:50

IBM was the same way. My ISO IBMs have symbol mods, while the ANSIs are all wordy. Apparently Americans like their chatty signs. Like WALK instead of a green man!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

04 Feb 2015, 19:44

Hey guys! I been lurking on this site for a week or so off and on and just made my account a few minutes ago. I have been to Reddit, Geekhack, and now here and I like the community here the most. I definitely like the website layout too and all of the model F content. Pic related, I was going to get a Corsair K70, but then I found the mk subreddit and I decided to get a model F terminal keyboard off ebay. So glad I did, capacitative buckling spring hands down better than my brothers cherry mx blues. Pic Related, my model F.

My Model F 122 key
My Model F 122 key
IMG_20150126_224603.jpg (938.85 KiB) Viewed 6981 times

andrewjoy

04 Feb 2015, 20:25

ahh the model F 122 key, as much as i love my beamspring and SSK i think the 122 f is my favourite board, it was the first true vintage board ( none PC ) that i ever got working, she still needs a bit of tlc( my one that it ) but they are amazing aint they ! The case on your one looks in amazing condition.

Bet your brother is jealous of your lovely model F, and in 30 years when his cherry mx has failed him your then 60 year old model F will still be working !

Where did you get the side printed green and yellow caps ? Unicomp don't do side printing as far as i know .

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Feb 2015, 02:01

andrewjoy wrote: ahh the model F 122 key, as much as i love my beamspring and SSK i think the 122 f is my favourite board, it was the first true vintage board ( none PC ) that i ever got working, she still needs a bit of tlc( my one that it ) but they are amazing aint they ! The case on your one looks in amazing condition.

Bet your brother is jealous of your lovely model F, and in 30 years when his cherry mx has failed him your then 60 year old model F will still be working !

Where did you get the side printed green and yellow caps ? Unicomp don't do side printing as far as i know .
Yup I sure love this board. I recently acquired two model M 122 key and the keypress feel is nothing compared to the F. The side printed keycaps say "start"(green) and "stop"(yellow) they are the second part of a two piece keycap and I think they were custom printed for use on the terminal that was used with this board. The green one that says stop is actually useful as a windows key/Start Button key. Not sure what you would use the stop for though.

Muirium
µ

05 Feb 2015, 02:09

Model Fs are superb. Your 122 will outlast all before it, as it really is a tank. Although I prefer its smaller sibling:
Spoiler:
The only Model M for me these days is the SSK. Yes there is a trend… I'm typing this on my HHKB!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Feb 2015, 02:32

Muirium wrote: Model Fs are superb. Your 122 will outlast all before it, as it really is a tank. Although I prefer its smaller sibling:
Spoiler:
The only Model M for me these days is the SSK. Yes there is a trend… I'm typing this on my HHKB!
A question, is it really forever? Do you know what the keypress life is on capacitative BS? Will this keyboard ever break? I know that these have metal tabs instead of plastic rivets, but does this mean it will never break?

And yeah that kishsaver looks really awesome. An ANSI layout 60% keyboard with capacitative buckling spring sounds like a bluetooth mod or removable cable deal like a Poker 2 so you can take it anywhere without having to worry about complicated cables.

Muirium
µ

05 Feb 2015, 02:37

You bet Bluetooth is right at the top of my wishlist for the Kishsaver and HHKB. 60% boards scream out for it!

Forever is a long time. Everything wears out eventually. I've yet to find a Model F that's really past its prime, though. They tend to just be caked with dirt and have exterior bruises from when a building collapsed around them, I imagine… The Model F is the ultimate post-apocalypse keyboard. You can concentrate on useful things like trying to power your computer instead!

The springs are likely the first thing to wear out. And everything inside a Model F is easier to get at than the guts of a Model M. They really are a superior design. That's why I'm only really into the SSK, on the Model M side of the family. Fantastic looks and layout! But the mechanism, the feel and the sound, well, Fs forever.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Feb 2015, 03:58

Muirium wrote: You bet Bluetooth is right at the top of my wishlist for the Kishsaver and HHKB. 60% boards scream out for it!

Forever is a long time. Everything wears out eventually. I've yet to find a Model F that's really past its prime, though. They tend to just be caked with dirt and have exterior bruises from when a building collapsed around them, I imagine… The Model F is the ultimate post-apocalypse keyboard. You can concentrate on useful things like trying to power your computer instead!

The springs are likely the first thing to wear out. And everything inside a Model F is easier to get at than the guts of a Model M. They really are a superior design. That's why I'm only really into the SSK, on the Model M side of the family. Fantastic looks and layout! But the mechanism, the feel and the sound, well, Fs forever.
How long do you expect my 122 key to last provided I don't abuse it? Its in really good condition. Just like an estimate maybe? I am very curious.

DanielT

10 Feb 2015, 10:11

My faceW 60% with Charred Orange set caps (thanks teckant ) and Skidata caps (thanks HzFaq ) :D
Spoiler:

HzFaq

10 Feb 2015, 10:18

Ah, I thought you were going to do the opposite (Skidata with charred bottom row). Still looks good though.

Halvar

10 Feb 2015, 10:22

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I thought Skidata and Charred Orange caps were basically the same? If you had a Charred Orange ANSI set, which keys are Skidata and why?

Looks very nice in any case, I wish there was a conversion kit for my Skidata caps so I could use them.

HzFaq

10 Feb 2015, 10:29

Textless mods and right shift are Skidata, everything else is charred orange more or less I think (the picture isn't showing properly for me anymore for some reason).

DanielT

10 Feb 2015, 10:32

I use ANSI :) An ISO DE board would be like learning to walk again :d But I'll play more with the caps, because I like more the ones from Skidata, the orange is more intense and some legends are way cooler.
I user the Backspace,Tab, Caps and 1.75SHIFT from Skidata, also the Q and M which are so cool :)
The 2 sets complement each other really nice, I can cover any board with these caps now :D

The Charred Orange was a set made by the Originativeco team inspired from the Skidata caps. The only way to use Skidata on "modern" boards is to buy a Charred Orange set for the 1.25u mods, 6.25u Space Bar, 2.75 Right Shift and full touch Caps.
Now for having both sets is great, because I can play with both ANSI and ISO layouts
Last edited by DanielT on 10 Feb 2015, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Halvar

10 Feb 2015, 10:41

Ah, now I see, thanks!

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Feb 2015, 22:53

DanielT wrote: The Charred Orange was a set made by the Originativeco team inspired from the Skidata caps. The only way to use Skidata on "modern" boards is to buy a Charred Orange set for the 1.25u mods, 6.25u Space Bar, 2.75 Right Shift and full touch Caps. Now for having both sets is great, because I can play with both ANSI and ISO layouts
I am searching for a charred orange set. There was one for sale not long ago here, but i did not buy the set. I have the ISO SkiData set on my 60% keyboard, but rarely use ISO anymore, so switching to ANSI with the SkiData set would be nice!

Topic change: got some colorful blank GMK windowed ESC caps today:

Halvar

13 Feb 2015, 23:44

Wait -- what? Why Where Who How?

Great picture by the way, definitely header material!

DanielT

14 Feb 2015, 09:39

These caps look so good, I still don't know why I didn't ordered some .... :(

Return to “Gallery”