Ebay, overseas delivery, USPS... panic!

LLRnR
\m/

25 Jan 2015, 10:05

I won my first ebay auction a few days ago for a blue-label IBM Model M 1391401. The seller is based in the US and the item's page on ebay says that shipping to France is assured by "International Priority Shipping".

For about a day or two, clicking the tracking number on ebay (a tracking number starting with UPA) didn't show anything interesting (apart from "Multiple Carriers"). I googled a bit and found out that, in order to get the real tracking number, you have to be on the page displaying the item you won, click on 'ask a question', then choose delivery and from there you can finally obtain a useful tracking number. I did so, and it's a USPS tracking number that I tracked directly through their website, with e-mail notifications. Cool.

The only problem is that my item transited via USPS from Wisconsin through Kentucky and it is now marked as 'delivered' in Kentucky! It needs to get to me in France! :shock:

I was wondering if you've had similar experiences for overseas transport from the US to the EU. If it's normal and my precious keyboard is relayed in Kentucky by USPS to another carrier, that's fine by me. (They should mark it somewhere in this case, I'm almost having a heart attack here!) However, I actually fear that someone in Kentucky got my package. What do you think?

intelli78

25 Jan 2015, 10:15

What's the format of the tracking number? I think it would be nearly impossible for an international package to be mistakenly delivered within the USA. My guess is that the seller uploaded the wrong tracking number for this auction.

It's also possible, but probably less likely that he actually misaddressed the package altogether and your Model M was sent to another one of his buyers. In that case I'm sure you will get your money back.

More likely the former, I think.

LLRnR
\m/

25 Jan 2015, 10:22

intelli78 wrote: What's the format of the tracking number? I think it would be nearly impossible for an international package to be mistakenly delivered within the USA. My guess is that the seller uploaded the wrong tracking number for this auction.
The tracking number displayed on ebay is UPAAA followed by 15 digits. The corresponding USPS one says that my item is on time and that its status is 'delivered'. On ebay (clicking the UPAAA link) it's not yet marked as delivered, as the status updates with a few hours' delay.
It's also possible, but probably less likely that he actually misaddressed the package altogether and your Model M was sent to another one of his buyers. In that case I'm sure you will get your money back.

More likely the former, I think.
Mhm, OK. So I should then contact the seller?

intelli78

25 Jan 2015, 10:24

UPAAA is the ebay international fulfillment program. The seller shipped the board to ebay's fulfillment center and they're going to forward it to you. No problem 8)

LLRnR
\m/

25 Jan 2015, 10:34

Hm, I'm not sure what to make of it.

The USPS tracking sevice shows my package is delivered.

Code: Select all

January 24, 2015 , 11:56 pm Delivered ERLANGER, KY 41025 
January 24, 2015 , 7:42 pm Arrived at USPS Facility CINCINNATI, OH 45235 
The ebay tracking number (UPAAA) still shows it as in transit:

Code: Select all

In Transit-Arrived at USPS Facility
Jan-24-15, 19:42 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45235
intelli78 wrote: UPAAA is the ebay international fulfillment program. The seller shipped the board to ebay's fulfillment center and they're going to forward it to you. No problem 8)
I hope you're right! I hope Erlanger, KY corresponds to the place where the package is relayed to another carrier. However, if the UPAAA number shows 'Delivered', I'll have to contact the seller.

Thanks, will update.

scottc

25 Jan 2015, 12:05

intelli78 wrote: UPAAA is the ebay international fulfillment program. The seller shipped the board to ebay's fulfillment center and they're going to forward it to you. No problem 8)
That's what it sounds like to me too.

LLRnR
\m/

25 Jan 2015, 12:14

scottc wrote:
That's what it sounds like to me too.
Great, I do hope you're right! Thanks. This is the first time I buy something off ebay. Did I mention I'm naturally paranoid? :P

The ebay tracking status still shows the package as being in transit. I hope it all goes well and that it's just this international fulfillment program you are mentioning. I'll update when there's something new.

IMHO, ebay should have made the whole tracking process more readable by either i) showing tracking numbers across carriers, not just the first one (USPS in my case) or ii) not providing any intermediary information (carrier-specific tracking) at all; this way, buyers wouldn't panic when seeing that the first carrier updated the status as 'delivered'.

LLRnR
\m/

27 Jan 2015, 13:40

Thank you both for replying and keeping my sanity in check. The ebay status finally got updated. All looks fine now. My prrrrecious is currently in the 'Customs Documentation and Labeling' stage.

Return to “Marketplace Help”