[HYPE-BUILDER] GMK Classic Beige

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2015, 16:53

Findecanor wrote: Myself, I think that the Windows keys should have "GUI" and "Menu" printed on them instead. Then have "Function" as an alternative legend, as almost every modern keyboard has a Function key instead of the right Windows or Menu key.
"GUI" would be OS-agnostic, and it would be more consistent with all text-legends.
GUI looks ugly to me, especially compared to Meta or Super. And there needs to be two of them! Two that are the same

Re: blanks. They add a lot of complexity of their own, but dyesub is made from blanks anyway so they could be a good idea. I wouldn't want to use one blank key here or there, but a fully blank set might be nicer than the inescapable butt ugly Windows logos!

imbattable

28 Jan 2015, 17:43

I thought this being GMK would make it ABS DS and not dyesub?

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2015, 18:54

Hmm. Maybe I pulled a Seebart?

The colour scheme certainly looks dyesub PBT to me. But maybe I'm wrong. I know dick about GMK really.

gogusrl

28 Jan 2015, 19:00

From what I know you have imsto as the best PBT dyesubs on the market and GMK as the best ABS doubleshots.

Nuum

28 Jan 2015, 19:08

GMK has not the ability to do dyesub keycaps, BSP has bought the equipment for that when Cherry sold it.

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jan 2015, 19:12

Nuum wrote: BSP has bought the equipment for that when Cherry sold it.
We're not quite sure on that one.

We know GMK bought Cherry's moulds. Their keycaps really are identical to the originals. BSP's, however, are a little bit different. They're very, very similar, but not quite.

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2015, 19:14

Ah right. Thanks for the clarification. I'd better stay off these, then. Got more than enough ABS caps on their way!

pmh1410

29 Jan 2015, 05:55

pmh1410 wrote: RGB
You don't think that RGB has been done do death already?[/quote]

A profile sir, B profile is many but A profile is rare.

tlt

30 Jan 2015, 09:04

kbdfr wrote: What I need is a 1.25 AltGr.
As you well know :lol:
I would also be much more interested if there where alt gr caps in the set :)

chaosstep

31 Jan 2015, 00:59

How about textless modifiers,
like this

from Ivan's GB.

I really love that capslock xD

photekq
Cherry Picker

31 Jan 2015, 01:10

chaosstep wrote: How about textless modifiers,
Most people really don't like that stuff, and prefer the original text/text+icon legends of Cherry ANSI sets.

That's also why I used 2x alts instead of alt gr. Most people don't use gr, and prefer the symmetry of two alts.

Really, I'm trying to please the majority here, to help reach MOQ more easily. A set's no good if it doesn't hit MOQ!

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2015, 01:16

Very true. I think you'd have more luck by bundling in 2x Command and (potentially) 2x Option keys for the Mac guys, or even just doing a 7bit and going Meta to mostly please the lot of us. Alt and Ctrl are fine on other platforms, but WIndows keys and mismatching blanks… nah.

photekq
Cherry Picker

31 Jan 2015, 01:31

Command/Option won't happen, but I have been thinking about the blanks. I may put them in. If they were to go in, they would replace the doubleshot win8 logo caps.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Jan 2015, 08:02

photekq wrote: […] That's also why I used 2x alts instead of alt gr. Most people don't use gr, and prefer the symmetry of two alts. […]
I cannot confirm that ;)
A solution would be a set containing 2xControl, 2xAlt, 1xAltGr.
And if you want to satisfy the (huge) German market, also 2xStrg.

Anyway, for me it has ceased to be a problem :mrgreen:

Prelim

31 Jan 2015, 13:28

@photekq, no mini mods pack or moogle kits? :/

scottc

31 Jan 2015, 14:15

From the previous page:
photekq wrote:
ramnes wrote: Could you divide this in more sets, like it's often done on PMK? 60% set, TKL set, numpad set, tsangan set, etc.

I'm in desperate need of a retro-Cherry set for my KBT Pure, and it would be ideal so I wouldn''t spend 170$ on a keyset where I'm going to use at most half of it. :)
It's really not viable with GMK. You will end up having certain kits not hitting MOQ, which is not what we want.

Also, if you were to split up the full set into 60%, TKL, fullsize, and then you bought all three for a fullsize board, it would end up costing more. That's how GMKs pricing works. The more keys in a 'set', the lower the price per key.

So, no, sorry.

Prelim

31 Jan 2015, 14:25

@scottc, that's completely different.

I was asking for a mini mod pack, like the one in Ivan's GB. I bet we will have more people interested in a mini mod pack or moogle kit, than in the set itself... even if the MOQ for it was 300.

SL89

07 Feb 2015, 16:21

i am now very interested in this set

CommonCurt

10 Feb 2015, 06:56

photekq wrote: Command/Option won't happen, but I have been thinking about the blanks. I may put them in. If they were to go in, they would replace the doubleshot win8 logo caps.
This is a excellent idea.

I vote for this :)

luckyryan333

10 Feb 2015, 07:33

Yes... It's about time!

I vote for your original mockups, and they're perfect ones for me.
I hope "NO" Win 8 logo caps would disappear and your superb mockups would be kept intact as possible as you can.

definitely in!

tlt

10 Feb 2015, 08:52

I'm would be interested in a moogle kit. Spacebars?

cookie

10 Feb 2015, 11:11

Just 1 essential question
1. Is it PBT?

luckyryan333

10 Feb 2015, 11:25

cookie wrote: Just 1 essential question
1. Is it PBT?
>> No, ABS.

cookie

10 Feb 2015, 11:27

Ewww... Okay I am out :(

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2015, 12:05

PBT snob! (Okay, I admit it. That was my excuse too. These will be a great set, though. The manufacturer just doesn't do PBT.)

photekq
Cherry Picker

10 Feb 2015, 12:37

You guys are too harsh on GMK ABS. I didn't like ABS either until I tried original Cherry and GMK.

In my opinion, they're the second best keycaps available for MX. They beat any readily available PBT keycaps. The only keycaps are that are better are original Cherry PBT dyesubs, which aren't exactly easy to find :lol:

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2015, 12:39

The thing I fear with any light coloured ABS is yellowing. I'm happier with blacks and reds than with pale greys and beige.

photekq
Cherry Picker

10 Feb 2015, 12:41

Muirium wrote: The thing I fear with any light coloured ABS is yellowing. I'm happier with blacks and reds than with pale greys and beige.
That's fair. That's one of the reasons I prefer Cherry dyesubs to their doubleshots.

Although, I wouldn't worry about yellowing for some years to come.

HzFaq

10 Feb 2015, 12:42

Cap materials are like switch choices, everyone likes something different.

Personally, I prefer Cherry ABS and POM over their PBT but I'm fairly sure I'm in a minority...

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2015, 12:46

I've a thing for Topre and NMB space invader dyesubs. (Which are quite similar.) The shape is super comfortable:

The case yellows. The caps do not! The shape is more scooped than IBM, with a noticeably smaller top surface. In a word: they're toothy! Good texture on these too.

But sphericals are still my favourite. Someday I have to get a HiPro.

Return to “Group buys”