Can you change your mouse hand?

Can you use both hands for the mouse?

Yes
54%
No [right only]
39%
No [left only]
2%
I don't use a mouse (trackball/touchpad/rollermouse/etc)
5%

Total votes: 85

andrewjoy

11 Aug 2014, 16:21

I can, i am a little slower but my mouse is shaped for right hand use so it can be a bit of a pain to use it with the left hand.

Also any left handed people out there do you change the mouse buttons ? When i do use my left hand i don't bother i can just switch on the fly no problems. in fact that would confuse my more than using my left hand ( switching the buttons.

Muirium
µ

11 Aug 2014, 18:59

I'm right handed, but for what it's worth I'm like you and don't switch buttons when I mouse with my left hand. Usually symmetry is a big deal for me, but the Magic Mouse assumes left click unless you press a good bit over on the right hand side of the top, so it's easier just to leave it on right handed settings and not confuse myself silly when I swap back.

acolombo

11 Aug 2014, 19:24

Why someone should change the mouse buttons? If I'm using the mouse with the right hand or with the left hand, right click is still right click and left click is still left click...

I'm right handed but I use the mouse with my left hand very often, and even if I prefer using my right hand, I have no real difficulties with my left hand, the only thing is the shape of most mouses as you said. At the moment I use it on the left when my index finger is stressed after some hours of work.

When I have some spare time I'm gonna mod one old 3 buttons mouse with modern internals, then I'm gonna use it as a second mouse on the left hand, I have to try wycx idea!
Last edited by acolombo on 11 Aug 2014, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

davkol

11 Aug 2014, 19:49

Perhaps because index finger is stronger and moves independently, unlike ring finger.

Muirium
µ

11 Aug 2014, 19:52

Yup. Because symmetry. If we had two right hands, then it wouldn't be a question!

If I used asymmetric sculpted (gamer style?) mice — one right handed and one left handed — then I probably would swap the buttons so each hand uses its index finger for the main click. But a symmetric mouse lets me cheat instead.

acolombo

11 Aug 2014, 21:23

davkol wrote: Perhaps because index finger is stronger and moves independently, unlike ring finger.
that makes sense. I didn't think of that because I personally use my index finger for the left button and the scroll, and I use the middle finger for the right button. That's another ergonomic dilemma. Do you guys use 2 fingers or 3 fingers for the mouse?

davkol

11 Aug 2014, 21:39

I guess it depends on particular combination of hand/mouse size and shape… and grip. I definitely prefer three fingers on top, because my hands are rather small, I even have something almost like a interdigital webbing between some of my fingers, and I've strained my index finger from overuse before (blame the wheel and especially Logitech's stiff switches under it).

Muirium
µ

11 Aug 2014, 22:39

Meanwhile I have broad hands (and sausage fingers, Scott!) so I use one or two fingers on the top at a time, never three. The middle of my mouse is typically under my knuckles, not my palm.

wycx

23 Aug 2014, 14:02

When my index finger gets sore from too much mouse work, I move it off the mouse and use my middle finger for the left button and my ring finger for the right.

To avoid using the scroll wheel I made some usb foot pedals for page up and page down using pedals from aliexpress and an arduino pro micro.

Muirium
µ

23 Aug 2014, 14:07

On trackpads, I habitually do the same: longest finger takes main duty including tap to click, and forefinger assists for multitouch actions like scroll and zoom. Feels more ergonomic to me in general.

I used tap to click even in the 90s as I never liked the front button(s) on laptops. Just left it for dragging instead, and even less so now that I use three finger gestures for that.

xman

23 Aug 2014, 20:42

deskTH wrote: I can't change my mouse hand, I can only use my right hand to control it but my right hand feels ok cause I got a mouse pad like this Image

wahahhahahha :oops:

BTW, how can I post a pic immediately from my PC and no need an image url ?? I'm new here, I'd like to show my own mousepad, I think it more beautiful than this one.

I like that mousepad, would like to see your own more beautiful one.

I switch the mouse/touchpad hand a lot.
The mice & touchpads that I use are mostly symmetrical.
I do not change the buttons when I use a different hand.
(I think changing the buttons would confuse me.)

Max

30 Aug 2014, 00:40

I only switch to my left hand on my mouse when my left arm gets sore from being leaned on all day. I've tried going completely over to using my left hand. But I can't really justify it sense my accuracy where it really matters (in FPS games :lol: ) never quite gets as good as my right hand, and I'd suppose that it eventually would get as good once I've practiced just as long as I've been using my right hand for my mouse. I'm ambidextrous but with things that I want to be good at I only [practice]/use [with] one hand.

J888www

02 Nov 2014, 22:32

Can you use both hands for the mouse?

The options to select one answer seems prejudiced, I mean............there's no input option for those people who have no hands.

Hak Foo

03 Nov 2014, 06:35

I write left-handed, but use a mouse right-handed. I want to use it left-handed at times, but most of the nice (and even many of the crappy) mice are assymetric favouring a right hand.

OTOH, I trackball with my left hand, and have my thumb buttons mounted accordingly.

JackMills

13 Nov 2014, 14:43

I switch between my left and right hand regularly because my right wrist hurts a lot, but I don't switch buttons (symmetrical mouse). I have switched my pointers to left-handed pointers. It server as a reminder to switch regularly.

ماء

13 Nov 2014, 15:03

dual pointing device seems interesting 8-)

Touch_It

05 Dec 2014, 23:20

Yes, but I very rarely need to do it so I'm a bit clumsy. Guess I should say I'm left handed but use a mouse with my right hand. Can't remember if that is how I was taught, or if I just wanted to fit in. I'm about 60/40 on left vs. right-handed tasks. I have a lachesis sitting at my work desk. Maybe I will try it for a whole day and see how I feel.

Mal-2

02 Feb 2015, 06:57

If you're running Windows, there is a free program called OtherMouse that will allow you to attach multiple mice and give them different settings (like reversing the buttons on one but not both, or having separate resolutions). If you want, it will also give you two mouse pointers, the second one being red. This is nice if you have a console you're monitoring for a server, or an RDP connection to someone else's desktop on one of your monitors - you can grab the second mouse and click to focus on the second screen without the pointer of the first mouse being taken off the application you were focused on. You can even use it if you're doing CAD or something. Leave one hovering over the toolbar and use the other to actually draw.

You might not even be inclined to use both hands, you might just have two mice in the vicinity of the same hand with their own pointers.
J888www wrote: Can you use both hands for the mouse?

The options to select one answer seems prejudiced, I mean............there's no input option for those people who have no hands.
Yes there is, trackball.I modified a couple many years ago for a one-handed gamer girl. All she wanted was to have the buttons moved to her feet. The first trackball died when her brother "accidentally" spilled a drink on it, but her father (who was my hockey coach) was so pleased by the way it had worked for her that he bought a BETTER one and let me hack it too. The pedals themselves survived, they were just (musical) keyboard sustain pedals.

Considering he (the father) was an electronics repairman by trade, he could have done it just as easily as I did. He just never thought of it. Regarding the one-handed girl and her dyslexic brother (who I played hockey with), the family had the same attitude: "Tell us what you think might help you, and we'll get it. Don't expect us to guess, though."

MAJOR EDIT: Boy did I screw the pooch on this one. It's called EitherMouse.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”