Space-cadet keyboard

7bit

29 Oct 2011, 20:59

webwit wrote:
cadetcap.jpg
Got it from someone who was working at MIT's AI lab when these were being built. He had this one in storage ever since.
I wasn't using Lisp machines in the 80ties, a was just a small innocent little duck back then.
Looks pretty much the section mark to me. Paragraph is in the same row on front of 9. dag, ddag, circ, bullet, all in the same row. Very logically arranged. If it is not the section mark I eat a broom!

You must ask him to tell some stories from the good old times!

Does he remember when this keyboard has been made?

ps: I really must stop looking at these pictures. They make me wonder which of the top lables are in the repertoire of Signature Plastics and how much the front printing will cost ...

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Oct 2011, 23:10

I plan to experiment with a controller like the Aikon, but first I need to experiment with another keyboard before trying it on the Precious. Haven't asked yet for the year it was made. When 3D printing becomes a bit more mainstream and cheaper I'll make a case for it.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

30 Oct 2011, 20:32

The keycaps whose lettering are yellowed up top, but on the front faces reminds me of my Beam Spring board. I wonder, if like the Beam Spring boards, the front face has been printed using a different technique... Of course, it could just be the case that they haven't been as exposed to sunlight due to their placement.

7bit

30 Oct 2011, 21:11

daedalus wrote:The keycaps whose lettering are yellowed up top, but on the front faces reminds me of my Beam Spring board. I wonder, if like the Beam Spring boards, the front face has been printed using a different technique... Of course, it could just be the case that they haven't been as exposed to sunlight due to their placement.
I'm quite sure nothing has yellowed.

The front is printed and the tops are doubleshot.

You can see it at the inside of the keys.

woody
Count Troller

31 Oct 2011, 10:32

Yellow on blue, like my SYS key.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Nov 2011, 03:29

If not yellowed, why white on the inside?

xahlee's adventures took me quite deep into the world of Lisp machines, all the way back to the SAIL keyboard and Lisp machine manuals.

This space-cadet has a black case it seems:

Anyway, check out this source:
http://www.quadibloc.com/comp/kyb01.htm

Seems indeed to be a section sign.

7bit

01 Nov 2011, 13:05

webwit wrote:If not yellowed, why white on the inside? ...
I thought you flashed out the inside. Also, I could not imagine how an unused keyboard can yellow if it is not the AEK.

BTW: there is somewhere a photo of a beige case.

Here it is

Nice to see a date and time:
08/24/79 12:21:19

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Nov 2011, 13:13

The beige case is how I know it.

Here's another pic of the keycap inside with less flash.
13.jpg
13.jpg (167.35 KiB) Viewed 7393 times

7bit

01 Nov 2011, 13:53

Seems to be some off-white.

ripster

01 Nov 2011, 17:59

Fucking Greek key!

My AAPL has dipped below $400!!!!!
I'm quite sure nothing has yellowed.
Seems to be some off-white.
Lol.

7bit

01 Nov 2011, 18:21

ripster wrote:..
mv -f ripster@localhost /dev/ignore

ripster

01 Nov 2011, 18:57

This is much simpler: Hit the RUB OUT key!

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Nov 2011, 16:53

Seller doesn't know exactly when it was made, probably 1982-1983.

ripster

27 Apr 2012, 07:51

I think I found it's West Coast cousin.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3076 ... post583611

From Stanfords SAIL labs.
o725638.jpg
o725638.jpg (464.6 KiB) Viewed 7026 times
On the west coast we find 7 modifiers a tad excessive. A little ALT. A bit of Control. Shift. Over the TOP? You Meta believe it!
ripster wrote: My AAPL has dipped below $400!!!!!
False alarm. Closed at 607.7.

Maarten

27 Apr 2012, 10:54

webwit wrote:Image
That's the universal 'activate wormhole' symbol... everybody knows that.

Icarium

27 Apr 2012, 10:57

7bit wrote: Image
Hey, look it even comes with Facebook keys! Those guys really were ahead of their time.

ripster

27 Apr 2012, 16:38

OK, NOW I'm impressed by a DT wiki entry...

I'm SO glad I'm not a programmer. My attempts at beards are sooooo scraggly.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/tk/

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Apr 2012, 16:43

The Knight keyboard and the SAIL keyboard. Still need those. Tom Knight didn't answer my email. Bastard ;) I know he has them. Group buy!

bhtooefr

27 Apr 2012, 17:33

Based on this photo:
Spoiler:
webwit wrote:Image
I'd say it was made in 1982, week 42.

When dating electronics, look for four digit numbers in that format - they tell you the whole story. And, when you can't find one on the board itself or a sticker, look at the chips.

ripster

28 Apr 2012, 15:59

webwit wrote:The Knight keyboard and the SAIL keyboard. Still need those. Tom Knight didn't answer my email. Bastard ;) I know he has them. Group buy!

Obviously discriminates against people without beards!

MMcM

15 Feb 2015, 15:28

If you would like to get your Space Cadet "guts" working again, even without the 8748, see https://github.com/MMcM/lmkbd2#space-cadet-direct.
MCU handles scanning and USB
MCU handles scanning and USB
SpaceCadetDirect.JPG (905.17 KiB) Viewed 6145 times
Every one of the graphic symbols will enter the proper Unicode character, either in Emacs or a properly configured XKB.

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2015, 16:00

mr_a500

15 Feb 2015, 19:21

Still hoping to use that Honeywell keyboard? I thought you said it wasn't yours.

I hope you eventually find out though - because then I'd be able to connect mine. My 1978 blue Micro Switch keyboard looks like it has the same connector.

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2015, 19:22

It's not mine. But that doesn't mean I can't fix it. It's just stuck in limbo, like anyone who tries to use it right now!

Return to “Gallery”