webwit
Wild Duck

30 Nov 2011, 19:23

The self-proclaimed number one keyboard expert seems to be trailing. :twisted:
http://webwit.nl/input/misc/otd/
Note the dates.

RiGS

01 Dec 2011, 18:17

ripster wrote:This might solve the Cherry MX ping problem.

Actually I found this while searching for that weird KBDmania/OTD mod where they put red cutout pieces in between the top and bottom half of a Cherry MX switch.

Anybody have a link?
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mi ... rl=3210356

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Dec 2011, 19:19

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Dec 2011, 19:20

sixty wrote:Image
Note that as far as I know the main reason for these is to stop dust from entering the case after applying oil to the spring and stem.

RiGS

01 Dec 2011, 19:27

What's the point of applying oil to the spring?

ripster

01 Dec 2011, 20:09

Thanks! Dust control makes sense (although a TAD on the overkill side). Somebody else posted it was to make the upper/lower case less "wobbly" and I was about to call "McRip Effect" on that one.

That is funny. Oiling a spring. Ping Control?

Heat dissipation for ultrafast typists?

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2011, 20:51

First you don't know what it is, next, after some guidance, you want to throw some childish effect at one of our knowledgeable Korean members, because you know better. What is it?

ripster

01 Dec 2011, 21:55

Jeez. I just asked for a link.

sordna

02 Dec 2011, 05:40

Taeyoung

05 Dec 2011, 04:07

As far as I know, the main reason of using the sticker is for more tighter fit of the upper and lower Cherry MX switch housings to prevent the side effect, loose fit as a result of opening the upper housing to oil and replace the spring.
Consequentially, this will help to decrease the noise.

Personally, I love the original Cherry non-click(brown) switch without the sticker. ;-)
However, I think the sticker will help the noise reduction and dust protection, if you open up the housing of switch for any reason.

Ixana

06 Dec 2011, 02:09

So far I had mainly heard of O-rings to control noise. What is the difference/advantage of using a foam type sticker, like you are mentioning here, instead?

ripster

06 Dec 2011, 02:36

I'm a little skeptical of this cherry mx tighter fit theory. Every switch I've taken apart fits together tightly afterwards.

It could be noise reduction just because the spring gets seated differently. The McRip Effect.

Dust protection makes SOME sense. Although Cherry MX isn't NEARLY as bad as ALPS in this regard.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2011, 02:42

It prevents *Ping* :twisted:

ripster

07 Dec 2011, 03:20

That's what I assumed "The Noise" was.

I think dampening the points Hamblet/amleth pointed at would do a better job.

Maybe.

Boy, now the OP really made mod posts interesting.

RiGS

28 Dec 2011, 02:36

I wonder how plasti dip would work on those areas.

mecano

16 Feb 2015, 22:13

amleth wrote:
nanu wrote:Has the following been done?
Douse a PCB-mounted board with something (like glue) that when cured becomes like rubber. Well, only fill the spaces in between switches up to where a plate would be so that you can still dissemble each switch, and you might have to make some perimeter fence to contain it...
Above mentioned tip was regarding between the switch lower housing and PCB. Not between PCB and steel-plating.

Yes, Once I drilled PCB several holes (if you drill steel-plate, residues cause short-circuit problem) and injected plenty of glue-guns. It worked fine. Much of unpleasant noise has gone.
And caused little bit of problem too. Glue gun is not a real-glue. But, if you have to change the switch, it acts just like a real glue. It is very hard to seperate the lower switch housing from glue gun gummy. Would not recommend.

Instead of glue-gun (or something), My boards, now, have regular sponge between PCB and steel-plate. It is just fine. (Caution: Try not to be stuffed, just arrang it. That is good enough).
Silicone used in electronic (like to help with near transformer resonance ou to secure capacitors) is really easy to peel off once dry and it has good elasticity.
Aren't you worried that regular sponge could stock humidity?

orcinus

15 Apr 2015, 15:53

Sorry for the necro, was searching for something, found this thread and it occurred to me that no one (to my knowledge at least) tried this as a possible noise suppresant:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-28850-L ... B001JJT6QA

It's essentially liquid latex, nothing complicated (should be quite familiar to the model/miniature people). It's completely liquid and dries into a rubber latexy surface.

Advantages over other solutions:
- easy to apply (just slather)
- easy to remove (just peels off)
- you can't put too much of it (it's liquid, any excess will ooze out)

All of this is untested, though (as it just occurred to me while sitting on the toilet).

HzFaq

15 Apr 2015, 15:56

orcinus wrote:
All of this is untested, though (as it just occurred to me while sitting on the toilet).
:shock:

I think I remember a guy on GH did something with latex to dampen the upstroke on Cherry switches, I'll have a dig and see if I can find it again.

orcinus

15 Apr 2015, 16:04

I get my best ideas on the bog.
Don't judge.

HzFaq

15 Apr 2015, 16:10

No judgement here, only horrific mental images :D.

This is what I was looking for, the guy starts out "trampoline" modding to dampen the bottom out and adds liquid latex to the top housing to stop the upstroke noise.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50632.0

orcinus

15 Apr 2015, 16:29

Hmmm. Interesting.

I was thinking more along the lines of applying latex to the bottom of the switch, between the bottom and the plate, and between the cover and the body (where the sticker's are usually put). The former should dampen the vibration transferred to the plate (as per OP's idea), while the latter should technically eat any extra clatter and just *maybe* dampen the ping a bit.

Return to “Gallery”