Chinese Razer... Real of Fake?

the1onewolf

28 Jan 2015, 01:52

Some of these could be the "OEM" PC BANG/CAFE models.

Mal-2

02 Feb 2015, 06:41

I personally have no fear of getting a counterfeit Razer mouse. I've had a real Deathadder, and the scroll wheel quit working. The hexagonal tip on the shaft going into the rotary encoder was too small. I had to open it several times in my attempt to fix this, and eventually the ribbon cable between the two boards broke off at the bottom board. I haven't gotten around to patching in a replacement. I don't think a knockoff would actually suck any worse in build quality.

Despite that, I'm considering a Razer mechanical keyboard, featuring their own version of Cherry MX Blues.

cookie

04 Feb 2015, 11:22

I wouldn't throw any cent at this malicious company! You could save that money and buy a product with original MX switches that won't fail you. What razer did with their mx clones is the biggest asshole douchebag move among all of their competitors! The Romer-G is at least something new, but they entirely faked a switch...

I do give them Kudos for their DA, but only for the for its shape, the internals are garbage (I won't get tired saying that :D )

Mal-2

04 Feb 2015, 12:54

cookie wrote: I wouldn't throw any cent at this malicious company! You could save that money and buy a product with original MX switches that won't fail you. What razer did with their mx clones is the biggest asshole douchebag move among all of their competitors! The Romer-G is at least something new, but they entirely faked a switch...

I do give them Kudos for their DA, but only for the for its shape, the internals are garbage (I won't get tired saying that :D )
Apparently there's nothing fake about the switches, they're Kailh MX greens. They just like to pretend they're not.

I did defer the purchase. Because Razer.

cookie

04 Feb 2015, 13:10

The Kailh MX are as counterfeit as a product can be, yes I am aware that the MX pantent has expired. Therefore you can't call them illegal. Razer just proved their complete lack of taste!

chzel

04 Feb 2015, 16:38

cookie wrote: The Kailh MX are as counterfeit as a product can be, yes I am aware that the MX pantent has expired. Therefore you can't call them illegal. Razer just proved their complete lack of taste!
Kailh are just clones, they are not branding them as Cherry so no counterfeit there, and since the patent expired they took the opportunity to copy it. It's not really different than any other industry (take a look at pharmaceuticals).
Razer on the other hand with their shitty marketing is at fault.
"Lookey lookey, a brand new switch, designed from the ground up from Santa's elves to give you an advantage of 0,5mm at the actuation point!".
Crap.

Muirium
µ

04 Feb 2015, 16:45

Yup. And just the kind of crap that games "journalism" will parrot for them until it becomes fact.

(Note: all journalism is corrupt. Either by direct ties to its content providers — early access to manufacturer's wares, or exclusive access to politicians, etc. — or the simple need to attract pageviews which always steers them towards clickbait. You simply notice how piss poor it is when it wanders into the stuff you know. But rest assured the stories about ISIS, Putin, etc. etc are just as poorly done. It's a critically flawed industry that we've let be authoritative for no justifiable reason. Journalism is payola, copypasta and opinion. No more.)

Meanwhile: Kaihua are just clones. They'd need the Cherry logo to be counterfeit. I'm neither rooting for them nor against them. It's an inevitable result of Cherry's standstill for THIRTY YEARS.

bhtooefr

04 Feb 2015, 16:52

Yet people will howl about games journalists saying something positive about women, saying that it's corruption in video game journalism, and say not a damn thing about "journalists" parroting Razer press releases or selling themselves in "dew and doritos" promotions.

andrewjoy

04 Feb 2015, 17:52

To be fair games journalism is pretty corrupt despite what they say about anyone.

cookie

04 Feb 2015, 18:58

You are right guys, I shouldn't call them counterfeit. Clone is definately more accurate!
Anyway, I am still pissed beyond imagination for one simple sentence in their commercial:
"We pioneered the verry first mechanical gaming keyboard"
If it were a bit inaccurate or a embellished, okay I woul'd put it under "Marketing Wankery" but this is is straightforward a lie! I mean the term "Gaming" is bullshit by itself but, gosh... what they are doing is so malicious to younger customer who have no clue about the matter.

Well maybe I am a bit sensitive, exuse me for that. But it is a shame that the most conspicuous company earns the money and reputation instead of the one who really produce high quality products.

Realforce 88U = 213€
Blackwidow = 80€

I bet that the Realforce could easily outlive 3 Blackwidows and more!
I bet that any vintage 20 years old g80-3000 for 10 bugs could do that!

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OrNkzTho6w&t=006

Mal-2

04 Feb 2015, 20:14

andrewjoy wrote: To be fair games journalism is pretty corrupt despite what they say about anyone.
I take issue with all the extreme points. Journalists who use their influence for personal gain without disclosing the conflict of interest are a real problem. So are SJWs who make themselves into professional victims. So are the people who dox and harass.

Being right doesn't mean you should be a complete dick about it. You may have the right to do so, but it's still likely to be counterproductive. It's even worse when it can be demonstrated that you're pulling things out of thin air.

I don't expect Razer to be excessively honest in their ad copy if nobody is going to call bullshit on them. Most everyone else does the same thing, at least when they're allowed to get away with it.

Muirium
µ

04 Feb 2015, 20:31

Look beyond mere games journalism. The corruption never ends. It's much worse than you imagine. Games journalists are far, far from the worst of them. All they can do is skew the sales of a product. Other journalists assist in the mass murder of needless wars!

I should state I'm not a conspiracy theorist. There is no conspiracy. Conservative press supports conservative candidates and fully endorses their agendas. The same is true for every part of the political spectrum. It's all quite transparent, when you have media moguls like Rupert Murdoch treated like an emperor by every president and prime minister on the planet. There's nothing to hide because there is no ethics anywhere. Just mutual interest.

And I'll also point out that every moron who's doxed etc. in the "gamergate" clusterfuck deserves every last bit of shit the other side is slinging at them. Alas, I don't run the criminal justice system, because I know what these guys need, and it's not anyone's support unless you count support supplied from objects shoved deep, deep up their rectum.

DerpyDash_xAD

21 Feb 2015, 18:39

cookie wrote: You are right guys, I shouldn't call them counterfeit. Clone is definately more accurate!
Anyway, I am still pissed beyond imagination for one simple sentence in their commercial:
"We pioneered the verry first mechanical gaming keyboard"
If it were a bit inaccurate or a embellished, okay I woul'd put it under "Marketing Wankery" but this is is straightforward a lie! I mean the term "Gaming" is bullshit by itself but, gosh... what they are doing is so malicious to younger customer who have no clue about the matter.

Well maybe I am a bit sensitive, exuse me for that. But it is a shame that the most conspicuous company earns the money and reputation instead of the one who really produce high quality products.

Realforce 88U = 213€
Blackwidow = 80€

I bet that the Realforce could easily outlive 3 Blackwidows and more!
I bet that any vintage 20 years old g80-3000 for 10 bugs could do that!

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OrNkzTho6w&t=006
My razer blackwidow didn't last 6mos before it started having problems, and that was when they used cherry.....
Emmiya wrote: Pretty sure everyone knew them risks when purchasing something from China :P

Cheap price = expect a cheap item, then be pleasantly surprised if its good quality/works(like I was).
Still got 2 good quality "razer" mice out of it. Might try to mod some thumb-buttons on one of them, considering there's not a single mouse out there which is built to the specs I like.
(same size/shape/style of Abyssus with two thumb buttons on the right side of the mouse only).
Stupid me for learning with my left hand. Tapian makes a good replacement for now, but keep hitting the left-side thumb buttons with my ring/pinky.
How about something like this? http://ergo.contour-design.com/ergonomi ... tour-mouse
Muirium wrote: Look beyond mere games journalism. The corruption never ends. It's much worse than you imagine. Games journalists are far, far from the worst of them. All they can do is skew the sales of a product. Other journalists assist in the mass murder of needless wars!

I should state I'm not a conspiracy theorist. There is no conspiracy. Conservative press supports conservative candidates and fully endorses their agendas. The same is true for every part of the political spectrum. It's all quite transparent, when you have media moguls like Rupert Murdoch treated like an emperor by every president and prime minister on the planet. There's nothing to hide because there is no ethics anywhere. Just mutual interest.

And I'll also point out that every moron who's doxed etc. in the "gamergate" clusterfuck deserves every last bit of shit the other side is slinging at them. Alas, I don't run the criminal justice system, because I know what these guys need, and it's not anyone's support unless you count support supplied from objects shoved deep, deep up their rectum.
Reuters is considerably less corrupt, and the BBC is also fairly decent. Not all journalists are liars. Just 99%

Also, I just bought an A4 tech x7 optical mouse for £15 - it's sensor was in 2006 the best you could get without OC. IDK about now, but it's a safe choice and that price! It's not a knockoff, but it's a budget chinese brand, and BCBs are good at their job.

Heres a graph of it's performance: http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=20

THAT LINEARITY THO 0.o :D

Also, all the reviewed mice ranked by the mouses highest linear speed: http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=21

Return to “Mice & other input devices”