Post your desktop.

HAL

17 Feb 2015, 17:22

@work. Everything except the desk and the monitor belongs to me.
2015-02-17_HAL_work_1280x720.jpg
2015-02-17_HAL_work_1280x720.jpg (199.03 KiB) Viewed 5059 times

exp0sure

25 Feb 2015, 06:49

yakill wrote: Just reconquered my desk, so i could take a pic.

Nothing fancy, some years old crap in fact.
does a pool ball actually fit in there, or is that a trackball made to look like one?

chzel

25 Feb 2015, 07:54

I can't see yakill's post (tapatalk handicap!), but if it is a CST trackball, the ball is exactly the same size as a pool ball (2¹/⁴" IIRC)

Compgeke

28 Feb 2015, 04:40

I was taking a picture of a laptop but figured what the hell I could take a desk picture.

Still rockin the Type Heaven 104 but added a 30" monitor. I will say the 30" took a bit of getting used to and I still feel it's a big large but 2560x1600 yo!

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 Mar 2015, 18:04

I think I did not posted my standing desk upgrade, which is in use now for about two months.
Recently I got a used "Stitz" seat. I love this setup!

I can highly recommend it also when you are carrying a baby :)

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 Mar 2015, 18:08

HAL wrote: @work. Everything except the desk and the monitor belongs to me.
Great to have all your stuff there. Not that you can go to the IT guys and ask if they would buy an old IBM keyboard and trackball for you!

andrewjoy

04 Mar 2015, 18:22

I will just leave my updated work desk here ( IT GUY)

HzFaq

04 Mar 2015, 20:27

Nice sit/stand set up Madhias, I think I need to have a word with the folks at work and see if they can hook me up with something like that. Minus the dog and babby of course...

Madhias
BS TORPE

09 Mar 2015, 20:13

I started a thread over GH a while ago about posting your oldest workstation or desktop pictures, but I think the response was not that big. I thought of people searching for old pictures, slides or scans.

That is what I found recently. I am not ashamed of it - it was just a teenies room. I had no PC for myself, and had to use the one my father bought (a 386, and later a 486 DX/2 with 66MHz). But I had a small big laptop. Interesting is that even back then I made pictures of my desktop.

This is the unkown laptop:

Some games, or the only originals I had:

Two things I also find in this pic, which imply the confused mind of a young teen: a picture of Kurt Cobain and below a big ton of 'The Land before Time':

Image Image

Halvar

09 Mar 2015, 23:34

Yup, Thinkpads looked as boxy as that back then, I had one in 1999 that looked similar, I think it was a Thinkpad 380. :-)

You had quite lot of original games for the time and for your hardware ...

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2015, 23:43

That photo right there is the workstation I'm most envious of all here. And you didn't even have a mechanical keyboard! Awesome room though, and intense blast from the 1990s past. I was sharing with my brothers back then, and things were never pretty!

Eventually got my own laptop and did indeed run a lot of Civilization II on it! A low end Pentium 133 in 1997 with passive matrix display and a crappy dome keyboard that felt a lot worse than my PowerBook's, when I got that in 2003. Looked just as chunky as yours above.

andrewjoy

09 Mar 2015, 23:49

i started out on an acorn A3010 then a Pentium 2 era celeron .

hammelgammler
Vintage

10 Mar 2015, 00:30

Here is my humble setup with three debezeled QNIX QX2710 and a G80-1851. :)
I see forward to get my Novatouch soon, so i can mod it silent like i want to do with my Model M. Hope that works.
Setup.jpg
Setup.jpg (976.03 KiB) Viewed 4645 times

Halvar

10 Mar 2015, 00:46

Hah, I like it. A wall of monitors and the best keyboard 50 cents can buy.

Muirium
µ

10 Mar 2015, 01:14

Where's the joystick? That's a flight sim pilot's view!

Muirium
µ

10 Mar 2015, 01:17

andrewjoy wrote: i started out on an acorn A3010 then a Pentium 2 era celeron .
Old man reminiscence contest engage!

My first PC was an Amstrad 80286 with CGA graphics… on a monochrome screen! And my first computer of the lot was an (already ancient) TRS-80, which sucked donkey balls… from cassette tape. The Vic=20 we had after that was much better, except we couldn't use it and watch TV at the same time, the horror!

Expecting to hear about punchcards in 3…2…1…

Mal-2

10 Mar 2015, 02:36

Muirium wrote: My first PC was an Amstrad 80286 with CGA graphics… on a monochrome screen!
Mine was an 8088, but same graphics setup. It wasn't until I saw other people's CGA colors that I realized monochrome was actually easier on the eyes. I also could use that amber screen with the composite output of a VCR to watch television, which I only did a few times just because I could.

Muirium
µ

10 Mar 2015, 02:49

Yeah, I was startled when I saw quite how bad CGA and EGA looked on colour screens.

The killer app I had for that computer was a planetarium by the name of SkyGlobe that looked like this:

Only monochrome, of course! It wasn't too bad actually. More like the stars, to be honest.

On pre-hard drive systems like that, the main noise I could hear was the processor! Honestly, give those old things a bit of number crunching like the trig calculations SkyGlobe required, and you'd hear a second or more of weird muffled chirps, per frame. A little like the sound GSM cellphones would trigger from TVs if left too close by. Imagine my astonishment at the speed of later computers that could actually render several updates per second and make passable animations of the night sky! And my dismay at the bloody racket of their horrible hard drives.

Took a long time for computers to quiet down again. I'm so glad they did. I like my keyboards loud and my systems quiet!

Touch_It

10 Mar 2015, 03:15

Man everyone's setup looks so clean and mine looks like a tornado rolled through. I'll post pics once clean.

Compgeke

20 Mar 2015, 06:25

Did a desk cleaning today, got tired of having no room.

Still using the Type Heaven and Recon but now on a clean desk!

...and just because, the right stuffs.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Mar 2015, 08:00

hammelgammler wrote: Here is my humble setup with three debezeled QNIX QX2710 and a G80-1851. :)
I see forward to get my Novatouch soon, so i can mod it silent like i want to do with my Model M. Hope that works.
Impressive setup hammelgammler. I'm not sure I could get used to three screens.
Did a desk cleaning today, got tired of having no room.
BIG improvment Compgeke!

Mal-2

27 May 2015, 18:12

"Battleship" completed. It resembles the board game Battleship, rather than occupying the space of one like the F122.

The "XMIT" key is functional. It maps to Ctrl + Enter, for sending messages to Skype.
Last edited by Mal-2 on 27 May 2015, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

27 May 2015, 18:13

ha ha ! love the spacebars

Mal-2

27 May 2015, 18:57

andrewjoy wrote: ha ha ! love the spacebars
Yeah, they work pretty well. I call them "rabbit teeth" spacebars. The one down side is that I lose the six spaces around them because of the way my thumbs hit them at an angle. Alt/AltGr isn't a problem, but if I put something below that, it is. This is no longer a problem, since all macro keys (except XMIT) have been moved to the back panel.

158 keys total, with room for 28 more (or 32 if I were to eliminate all 2U keys), but the voids are good for finding my way around without looking down. I'm not in kbdfr territory yet, but I'm also still at TKL width.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 May 2015, 23:00

Mal-2 wrote: The "XMIT" key is functional.
Good. :ugeek:

davkol

02 Jun 2015, 21:39

#hipster

mr_a500

09 Jun 2015, 19:08

"New look" for my hall effect keypad (much nicer than the original grey textured keycaps):
keypad.JPG
The keypad sits beside my beam spring, of course:

I still can't properly capture my desk setup in a single photo. (need to find a fish-eye lens)

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 19:16

Fish eye's no good. You want something much fancier: an honest to god wide angle lens instead. They're just as costly as the fancy long glass, but more useful, I find… when I occasionally borrow them. Much too pricey for me to own! Damn nice stuff though. The only way I've seen to get pictures which reflect reality indoors.

mr_a500

09 Jun 2015, 19:22

Well yeah, I need a wide angle lens too. I think maybe I'll try a super-panorama photo... a photo so huge, it'll crash the Deskthority servers and leave a huge smoking hole where they once had been.

chzel

09 Jun 2015, 19:29

Return to “Gallery”