[WIP] OneHand - 20% Keyboard

PJE

06 Oct 2014, 23:41

Tyvar1 wrote:
PJE wrote: This is so freaking cool!
Would do anything to own this awesome keyboard!

So you could build a complete working TwoHand with MX Brown without key caps and USB cable for 80$+shipping?
I'll work out a more accurate price once I figure out where I can get 100 MX Browns with PCB mount. The switches are approx $0.50 each in volume (if I can find them), plus $5 for the PCBs, and $15ish for the Teensy. Comes out around $45… Add in a few connectors, link cables and diodes, and you're around $60 for the TwoHand. It all depends on the price and availability of the MX switches.

I'm working on a TwoHand base which holds the Two PCBs with a $3 touchpad in the middle, but I don't know when it will be available.

Tyvar1

06 Oct 2014, 23:46

PJE wrote:
Tyvar1 wrote:
PJE wrote: This is so freaking cool!
Would do anything to own this awesome keyboard!

So you could build a complete working TwoHand with MX Brown without key caps and USB cable for 80$+shipping?
I'll work out a more accurate price once I figure out where I can get 100 MX Browns with PCB mount. The switches are approx $0.50 each in volume (if I can find them), plus $5 for the PCBs, and $15ish for the Teensy. Comes out around $45… Add in a few connectors, link cables and diodes, and you're around $60 for the TwoHand. It all depends on the price and availability of the MX switches.

I'm working on a TwoHand base which holds the Two PCBs with a $3 touchpad in the middle, but I don't know when it will be available.
Great news! :D no rush! Take your time! :)

Halvar

06 Oct 2014, 23:54

PJE wrote: I'll work out a more accurate price once I figure out where I can get 100 MX Browns with PCB mount.
7bit has them on stock.

Or buy a 11800 here: http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/old ... ilit=11800

Or here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-MX-11800 ... 20ecbb0574

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2014, 02:57

Desoldering them from old keyboards is no fun at all. I'm usually a cheapskate, but I gladly pay to avoid that. And ransacking a NIB keyboard seems a bit ungentlemanly too!

7bit really made you wait for those PCB mount reds last time, Peter. The key to him, I've found, is never believe his ETAs and only order things that are already in stock. Although even that is quite opaque. Anyway, I got vintage MX blacks for a bargain price a good old while ago that I've been using for these projects. And a big bag of PCB mount clears that should be well suited, if my fingers are up to it…

Tyvar1

07 Oct 2014, 06:20

So the keycaps you need for this keyboard is they once ergo dox uses, right? :)

PJE

07 Oct 2014, 12:28

Tyvar1 wrote:So the keycaps you need for this keyboard is they once ergo dox uses, right? :)
I found a source of new MX Brown PCB mount at MechanicalKeyboards.com. $49 for 100.. They also have other styles, so I might also try clears...

For keycaps, DSA profile is going to be the best if you want key labels as QWERTY is not the best layout for the keyboard. You can also use any blank MX compatible set if you prefer a sculpted style.

The Ergodox kits would work, I'm not sure what 1.5x keys are available in the kit. The OneHand uses 1/2 2x keys and 0/1/2/3 1.5x depending on switch placement on the PCB.

I hope to place some orders this week.

Tyvar1

07 Oct 2014, 13:54

PJE wrote:
Tyvar1 wrote:So the keycaps you need for this keyboard is they once ergo dox uses, right? :)
I found a source of new MX Brown PCB mount at MechanicalKeyboards.com. $49 for 100.. They also have other styles, so I might also try clears...

For keycaps, DSA profile is going to be the best if you want key labels as QWERTY is not the best layout for the keyboard. You can also use any blank MX compatible set if you prefer a sculpted style.

The Ergodox kits would work, I'm not sure what 1.5x keys are available in the kit. The OneHand uses 1/2 2x keys and 0/1/2/3 1.5x depending on switch placement on the PCB.

I hope to place some orders this week.
great news! Well actually MX Clears sounds more interesting ;)

Then I skip the Ergodox keys.
sculpted style? Sorry for stupid question but what do you mean with that? :)

Thank you!

PJE

07 Oct 2014, 18:32

Tyvar1 wrote:great news! Well actually MX Clears sounds more interesting ;)

Thank you!
Standard keys have a different shape based on the row, which limits you to mounting a letter on its specific row to keep the curvature consistent. DSA uses the same key shape for all keys, allowing custom arrangements to be produced more easily.

I'm going to use blank DSA on my prototype.

Tyvar1

07 Oct 2014, 18:34

PJE wrote:
Tyvar1 wrote:great news! Well actually MX Clears sounds more interesting ;)

Thank you!
Standard keys have a different shape based on the row, which limits you to mounting a letter on its specific row to keep the curvature consistent. DSA uses the same key shape for all keys, allowing custom arrangements to be produced more easily.

I'm going to use blank DSA on my prototype.
cool! thanks!
Well then DSA is the way to go! 8-)

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2014, 18:59

Flat caps are okay, but I really prefer a nicely contoured keyboard.

These caps are the appropriately matched rows, in SA profile, for my OneHand:

See how it scoops up at the front and back? That's the way! As you can see, these are spare caps I happened to have lying around (from a French language pack I picked up just for the ISO Shift for cheap from 7bit). With a keyboard as small as the OneHand, there's no way to have meaningful legends on it unless you printed them yourself.

Meanwhile, here's the same PCB but fitted out with flat row 3 caps from the same set:

These are still SA caps, but all DSA caps are flat like that. And much shorter, of course.

Tyvar1

07 Oct 2014, 19:17

Muirium wrote: Flat caps are okay, but I really prefer a nicely contoured keyboard.

These caps are the appropriately matched rows, in SA profile, for my OneHand:

See how it scoops up at the front and back? That's the way! As you can see, these are spare caps I happened to have lying around (from a French language pack I picked up just for the ISO Shift for cheap from 7bit). With a keyboard as small as the OneHand, there's no way to have meaningful legends on it unless you printed them yourself.

Meanwhile, here's the same PCB but fitted out with flat row 3 caps from the same set:

These are still SA caps, but all DSA caps are flat like that. And much shorter, of course.
thank you so much for those pictures! :)
Well i think the second one looked way better! so Flat keys for me ;)

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2014, 21:27

Beauty and the eye of the beholder! Glad they helped you out.

Tyvar1

07 Oct 2014, 22:27

About those pictures, does v2 include a case?

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2014, 23:38

My v1 OneHand (along with Peter's I think) did eventually get a case, thanks to Mohitgarg.

Layered acrylic, came as a nice wee kit actually with perfectly fitting bolts and feet. But it was designed specifically for the original non-square PCB, so v2 needs something different.

Tyvar1

08 Oct 2014, 05:46

Muirium wrote:My v1 OneHand (along with Peter's I think) did eventually get a case, thanks to Mohitgarg.

Layered acrylic, came as a nice wee kit actually with perfectly fitting bolts and feet. But it was designed specifically for the original non-square PCB, so v2 needs something different.
Wow! Cool case!
I see. Thank you for your help!

DaGameFace

14 Oct 2014, 02:03

What software did you use to design those PCB's? And where did you order from?

I plan on making a mini keypad with a 3 by 4 of cherry keys as close together as possible (only 1mm between) and using my schools 3d printer for custom key caps and frame. Going to be using a ProMicro that I have laying around for it.

PJE

14 Oct 2014, 02:07

DaGameFace wrote:What software did you use to design those PCB's? And where did you order from?

I plan on making a mini keypad with a 3 by 4 of cherry keys as close together as possible (only 1mm between) and using my schools 3d printer for custom key caps and frame. Going to be using a ProMicro that I have laying around for it.
I use Easy-PC which is a commercial PCB package. There are numerous free packages which are more than good enough, but I've used Easy-PC since it was a DOS app!

DaGameFace

14 Oct 2014, 12:56

PJE wrote:
DaGameFace wrote:What software did you use to design those PCB's? And where did you order from?

I use Easy-PC which is a commercial PCB package. There are numerous free packages which are more than good enough, but I've used Easy-PC since it was a DOS app!
hmm...
well i have found a couple pieces of software that i could use but i'm having some trouble with the mx switches.
Is there a way to import a footprint of a cherry mx switch?...
...or do you just have to make one yourself using dimensions from cherrys website
Also ive been looking into getting a PCB printed and have found a few websites, im curious where did you get yours?

PJE

15 Oct 2014, 00:55

DaGameFace wrote:Is there a way to import a footprint of a cherry mx switch?...
...or do you just have to make one yourself using dimensions from cherrys website
Also ive been looking into getting a PCB printed and have found a few websites, im curious where did you get yours?
I had to create my own PCB symbol as there isn't a large use base for Easy-PC (that I know of). Kicad and others have symbols available on the web.

As for getting the PCBs made, I've been using the service at Seeedstudio - $25 for 10-off 10x10cm PCBs. Quality was excellent for the price.

DaGameFace

15 Oct 2014, 13:03

PJE wrote:
DaGameFace wrote:Is there a way to import a footprint of a cherry mx switch?...
I had to create my own PCB symbol as there isn't a large use base for Easy-PC (that I know of). Kicad and others have symbols available on the web.

As for getting the PCBs made, I've been using the service at Seeedstudio - $25 for 10-off 10x10cm PCBs. Quality was excellent for the price.
Ah thanks i couldn't find anything for cherry mx footprints earlier but when i added kicad it came right up
and yeah $25 doesn't sound bad at all ill have to look into them

Thanks for your time
should be done bugging you for a while now

GuilleAcoustic

11 Feb 2015, 22:40

Wow, that is very interesting. Great job on this one. I'm desperately looking for a very small keyboard for writing and coding purpose. I just bought a Teensy++ 2.0 for a trackball hack and have many pins left unsused.

R^2

01 Mar 2015, 00:15

PJE,
Do you have any of the v2 boards left? I am just getting into the world of custom keyboards to improve my LabView programming speed and so far yous is the best I have seen. I am good with either the bare boards or what ever you have on hand. A v1 would actually be just fine too. I am planning on using it as a single hand anyway.

PM me and we can work out details.
Thanks,
Ryan

PJE

01 Mar 2015, 02:36

Hi all,

Things have been very very hectic for me for the last few months with my day job...

I'm just about to do a last look through the PCB before ordering them. I'll let you all know when they come in. I'm going to order some MX switches, and will hope to supply partially built units for people who are interested.

GuilleAcoustic

01 Mar 2015, 19:27

PJE wrote: Hi all,

Things have been very very hectic for me for the last few months with my day job...

I'm just about to do a last look through the PCB before ordering them. I'll let you all know when they come in. I'm going to order some MX switches, and will hope to supply partially built units for people who are interested.
That's very interesting. I'm after a very small keyboard I could use along my trackball.

potatowire

02 Mar 2015, 22:23

PJE, I'd love to get one or two of the v2 PCBs. I think this is such a cool project.

jeffkoch

24 Mar 2015, 19:26

Muirium wrote: <snip> With a keyboard as small as the OneHand, there's no way to have meaningful legends on it unless you printed them yourself. <snip>
Getting consensus on the legends might be the difficult step. SA and others seem able to churn out custom keycaps.

shaymdev

07 May 2015, 23:31

I'm interested in using this as a modular two handed setup. I'm in the process of making my own ergoboard and I'm considering some type of removable mounting plate for the two halves (for use on lap and such). Anyway, I'd be interested in maybe getting one of yours setup for at the office. Keep up the good stuff!

scottc

07 May 2015, 23:34

PJE wrote: Hi all,

I've found myself more and more interested in ergonomics recently, so I'd just like to declare my interest for a set. I'd probably get it partially assembled so that all I need is a controller and switches.

flabbergast

02 Jul 2015, 14:24

I am interested to participate (i.e. get a PCB + stuff) as well, in case it's still possible. I can do SMT soldering, and can help with a few PCBs if that would be desirable.

PJE

03 Jul 2015, 00:00

Sorry for the slow progress on the PCBs, I keep adding things, and the last change was the ability to add a Nextion LCD panel for help on layer information and other status displays....

I just received the 2.4" and 4.3" units today, and will be checking the interface and code requirements prior to pulling the trigger on the PCB order. Hopefully this should happen this weekend.

I've been considering switching to the Teensy 3.1, as you get a lot more performance for a few extra dollars. I'll probably hold off on that change until the next version.

Return to “Workshop”