IKEA HYLLIS HYPE

plasticchair

26 Feb 2015, 14:38

This is the solution to all the problems you might be facing as a keyboard collector!
It's called HYLLIS, it's dirt-cheap and it's awesome.
Space for four keyboards (to put on display) but easily extendable with some tools.
If you're just looking for a storage solution in your basement, you can probably stack up to six Cherry boxes on each level!
I've got four of those bad boys (only one for displaying) and so far I'm more than happy with them!

How to expand HYLLIS:
So far I've come up with two ideas.

1) Pretty straight forward and probably the cleanest solution: Buy a second (or even third) HYLLIS, drill some holes and screw the floors into one of them.

2) This one is more artistic and just for displaying: Get some wires/cords or whatever and tie them with enough space around the floors. This way you can mount three more keyboards.
Here's a visualisation:
So, yeah. Now you know what to do next weekend. Just don't bring your wife/girlfriend or it might get expensive after all.

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 14:40

I did something quite similar recently! This was my original plan, but I ultimately didn't go for HYLLIS but a more expensive system whose name escapes me. It perfectly fits 3 of the HYFS boot boxes (thank you andrewjoy!) in each shelf, making for a total of 12 keyboards + whatever you can fit on the top shelf.

plasticchair

26 Feb 2015, 14:42

Damn, that's two more keyboards than a HYLLIS with 2 extra floors each. Could you post a picture? :)

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 14:44

Sure, let me er... clean up my room first. :D.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Feb 2015, 14:51

I want to see that too!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Feb 2015, 14:55

that second HYLLIS expansion is your own idea? I still use my billy bookshelf:
IMG_20150226_145831.jpg
IMG_20150226_145831.jpg (964.73 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
Last edited by seebart on 26 Feb 2015, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 14:55

Sorry plasticchair, I really didn't mean to steal your thunder. :oops:

Sorry for the mess and poor-quality picture! :oops:

As you might be able to see, I've got two HYFS boxes on each shelf, with space for a third on top (but with bare keyboards there instead because those boxes are expensive - 7 euro for a box, really?!). The bottom shelf is currently filled with crap but I'm going to throw that old Dell box out soon and get some more HYFS boxes.

On the top shelf, I have the smaller HYFS shoe boxes (5 euro iirc) for my 60%s and the queen SSK resting on top of them.

Total cost is a lot more than for a HYLLIS, though. Here, I think HYLLIS is 15 euro.

I'm using MULIG. That's 40 euro + 7 per big box for a total of 82 euro (+ 10 for the smaller shoe boxes but I wouldn't recommend them as they don't fit two in the space of one boot box).

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 15:01

you got some magic light in that shot scottc! :D

plasticchair

26 Feb 2015, 15:04

seebart wrote: that second HYLLIS expansion is your own idea?
I saw something similar somewhere I think. It was used to hold flower-boxes :lol:
scottc wrote: Sorry plasticchair, I really didn't mean to steal your thunder. :oops:
Don't worry! We're all gonna profit from some IKEA talk 8-)
Forgot about HYFS boxes until you mentioned them. They look much cleaner and protect the keyboards from dust (:

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 15:04

seebart wrote: you got some magic light in that shot scottc! :D
Yeah, the sunlight was shining right into my eyes as I took it. :lol: That's the problem with having such a huge window on the ground floor!

I did apologise for the quality already, and for a good reason... :lol:
plasticchair wrote: Forgot about HYFS boxes until you mentioned them. They look much cleaner and protect the keyboards from dust (:
I think this is a double-edged sword: they fit really well, look pretty clean, but I can't see the keyboards. :( There's a little peephole on the left face of the box that I can look into from my desk, but it's not much.

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 15:14

no need to apologize, look at my crappy android shot. I can´t be bothered to get the DSLR out for something like that.

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 15:16

Ah, but see, you added the crappy android shot after I had seen your post and written most of mine! :lol:

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 15:18

scottc wrote: Ah, but see, you added the crappy android shot after I had seen your post and written most of mine! :lol:
that´s the magic of good seebart posting and editing, and that´s why our scottish secretary gave me that glorious "rank". :lol:

jacobolus

26 Feb 2015, 16:10

Only problem is, with keyboards open to the air, after a few years they’ll get all dusty inside. If you intend to use these keyboards later, they’d be better off in a box, or in a display case with glass sides.

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 16:40

jacobolus wrote:Only problem is, with keyboards open to the air, after a few years they’ll get all dusty inside. If you intend to use these keyboards later, they’d be better off in a box, or in a display case with glass sides.
Good point, another factor is the weight. I can't tell from the picture how sturdy it is but we all know how much some older keyboard's can weigh.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Feb 2015, 16:55

My favorite shelf is still CeeSA one: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35 ... #msg702924

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 17:01

Yeah, that's definitely the classiest! Mm, I might have to try to chop one of mine...

7bit

26 Feb 2015, 17:02

My favorite is webwit's one, complete with boxes and content!
:ugeek:

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Feb 2015, 17:03

Sure, it's fine for just a few boards. I don't see it working for me though :lol:

I'll need a room dedicated to my keyboards like webwit soon.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Feb 2015, 17:07

This is not a way to treat keyboards photekq! :evil:

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 17:07

Yes you need your own cherry vault photekq!

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Feb 2015, 17:13

ramnes wrote: This is not a way to treat keyboards photekq! :evil:
Hey, they're all looked after very well! :x They're just not particuarly.. erm.. organised :lol:

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 17:16

From what I've seen photekq takes good care of his kb's but that's not very tidy, true.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Feb 2015, 18:48

photekq's place reminds me of my office :lol:
but most of my keyboards are in boxes vertically stored themselves in bigger boxes (resembling moving boxes),
which themselves are under tables or (I don't have that many tables) in quite every corner.
And of course almost every moving box has another moving box on top.
But at least most of my keyboard boxes are labelled :mrgreen:

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Feb 2015, 18:53

Mine are labelled very well too.. :mrgreen:

..in my head :ugeek:

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 19:02

I can see one label, it says 305̛̜̞̼̌̏͊̄̑͊͋Ẓ̛̟̼̼̘͉̯̈́̔͒ͧ͢ͅA̧̯͈̺͑͒̀L̶̶͔̙̰͉͈̹͛̎̓͛ͩ̈́G̖̰̠͇̦̤̮̱ͬ͋ͭ̃͊ͨ͟Ǫ̬̞͑͆̊͒͂ͩͪ̏̈,̢̞̦̪̫̙͈ͬ̃͑̄͢ ̟̳̺̪͇̻̖̻̉̆ͮ̍̿̾H̞̣̥̺͚̐͒̂̍̍ͮͥͅÉͩ͋̌҉̸̮̙̺ ͖̹̼̜̦̅ͣ̉ͫͅĊ͎̻͎̱̈̍ͦ͋͂̈ͅO̴̓̀̓̉̊҉̟͙̖̟͈̠̘M͓̩̤͉̳̟ͤͫ͒ͫ͋̽̽Ẹ̵̛͕͉̜ͫ̑Ș̖̒́̎ͦ̎͒̈́̀͠Q

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Feb 2015, 19:26

scottc wrote: I can see one label, it says 305̛̜̞̼̌̏͊̄̑͊͋Ẓ̛̟̼̼̘͉̯̈́̔͒ͧ͢ͅA̧̯͈̺͑͒̀L̶̶͔̙̰͉͈̹͛̎̓͛ͩ̈́G̖̰̠͇̦̤̮̱ͬ͋ͭ̃͊ͨ͟Ǫ̬̞͑͆̊͒͂ͩͪ̏̈,̢̞̦̪̫̙͈ͬ̃͑̄͢ ̟̳̺̪͇̻̖̻̉̆ͮ̍̿̾H̞̣̥̺͚̐͒̂̍̍ͮͥͅÉͩ͋̌҉̸̮̙̺ ͖̹̼̜̦̅ͣ̉ͫͅĊ͎̻͎̱̈̍ͦ͋͂̈ͅO̴̓̀̓̉̊҉̟͙̖̟͈̠̘M͓̩̤͉̳̟ͤͫ͒ͫ͋̽̽Ẹ̵̛͕͉̜ͫ̑Ș̖̒́̎ͦ̎͒̈́̀͠Q
:lol:

Muirium
µ

26 Feb 2015, 21:54

Quit the Black Speech you Unicode summoners, or we'll have ring wraiths showing up already!

My storage "system" is currently a few sets of IKEA Billy, like Seebart, which keyboards have taken over from DVDs and such that I've gotten shot of in recent years. I've got a load of glass shelves in there, which my IBMs are on, for the most part. They look pretty good, even close together thanks to the glass, and they're roomy at 80cm wide each. Trouble is I need more shelves, and those Swedish Swiss multinational bastards have put the price right up lately.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

02 Mar 2015, 07:50

You could take your concept of hanging them one step further and get some mono filament line and hang them like model airplanes. ;)

seebart

02 Mar 2015, 08:22

rsbseb wrote:You could take your concept of hanging them one step further and get some mono filament line and hang them like model airplanes. ;)
I hope your joking, I would not do that with my keyboard's![emoji6] It could look good though if done right.

Return to “Workshop”