Cherry RK - Realkey analog technology

davkol

09 Jan 2015, 00:00

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2015, 01:12

Gamers love Steno…

I remember the old single keyboard multiplayer days, but I guess most gamers do not. Anyway, they "need" mechs the same way we do: they're nicer to use. It's a legitimate demand. Cherry's specific claims and inferences are what smell iffy.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jan 2015, 08:17

Muirium wrote: Cherry's specific claims and inferences are what smell iffy.
yeah I'd like to see some in depth reviews when those products launch. Possibly we will have one here at DT. Anyway the gaming crowd is THE market for mechs today. The whole RK marketing is tooled toward them. You need somting new, something cutting edge in reaction time as a hardcore gamer. So RK along with the RGB switches is a smart move on Cherry's part. Coolermaster and the rest of the competition are not sleeping. Just think about how huge China as a market is for all this. Makes the EU look like a province.

bhtooefr

09 Jan 2015, 13:59

It's worth noting, though, that the MX Board 6.0 doesn't appear to actually use the MX RGB switches.

chzel

09 Jan 2015, 15:32

Muirium wrote: I remember the old single keyboard multiplayer days, but I guess most gamers do not.
Golden Axe FTW!!!

Nuum

09 Jan 2015, 18:14

I remember having played Bomber Man (or some clone) with my father and my brother, when I was a little kid, on one keyboard. It was a rubberdome, but somehow it recognized the keypresses of three people, at least I didn't notice any problem back then.

bhtooefr

10 Jan 2015, 02:20

Typically if a game was designed for single-keyboard multiplayer, it didn't hit the bad parts of a Model M matrix. And, seeing as everything else for a PC copied the Model M...

JBert

03 Mar 2015, 22:00

Nuum wrote: Here's one in German with some technical info on "Realkey": http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/ ... &hgf=false
It says, that every key and every key combination has a designated resistance which gets measured by a Cortex M3 processor within 0.4 milliseconds after the key press.
Wait, what?

Did they just reinvent the Microsoft SideWinder X4? That keyboard also use analog signals, in that case coupled to an ADC to measure the voltage drop and calculate what keys are pressed.

EDIT: Also, where's their MX TKL 1.0?

shreebles
Finally 60%

03 Mar 2015, 22:46

JBert wrote: Did they just reinvent the Microsoft SideWinder X4?
[...]
EDIT: Also, where's their MX TKL 1.0?
They should copy the Sidewinder X6, complete with detachable Numpad, and kill two birds with one stone :lol:

Off topic, I was THIS close to spending a good sum on the Sidewinder x6, but during my research I found out about mechanical keyboards... Bought my first G80 1800 and said goodbye to membrane boards forever.

davkol

03 Mar 2015, 23:14

JBert wrote:
Nuum wrote: Here's one in German with some technical info on "Realkey": http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/ ... &hgf=false
It says, that every key and every key combination has a designated resistance which gets measured by a Cortex M3 processor within 0.4 milliseconds after the key press.
Wait, what?

Did they just reinvent the Microsoft SideWinder X4? That keyboard also use analog signals, in that case coupled to an ADC to measure the voltage drop and calculate what keys are pressed.
They're supposedly making use of that Microsoft's patent.

wheybags

04 Mar 2015, 00:31

All the people in the comments saying they wish it had rgb leds...
faith in humanity lost

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Mar 2015, 00:51

wheybags wrote: faith in humanity lost
You had some to begin with?

davkol

04 Mar 2015, 09:52

someone in /r/INTP wrote: [pulls out phone]
[pretends to dial]
"Hello, humanity? Yeah, it's me. Turns out wheybags just lost faith in you.
[pause to listen]
"Uh huh. So tragic. I wonder what you'll do. I mean, you are comprised of 7 billion live beings and 100 billion more dead ones, whose lives span over hundreds of thousands of years, but still...
[another pause]
Oh, really? Ah, that's actually a relief. Good to hear. I'll tell them. Enjoy the rest of the day. Bye now. [hangs up]
[to wheybags] Yeah, so it turns out humanity doesn't give a shit.

seebart

04 Mar 2015, 09:57

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
wheybags wrote: faith in humanity lost
You had some to begin with?
I still have some but it´s fading... :lol:

shreebles
Finally 60%

04 Mar 2015, 11:42

wheybags wrote: All the people in the comments saying they wish it had rgb leds...
faith in humanity lost
At this price point I'd rather demand proper doubleshot thick backlit PBTs... But this kind of board, aluminum and everything with the usual thin ABS is just a sad joke.

andrewjoy

04 Mar 2015, 12:08

Unfortunately they never think about cap quality, as long as it looks good in photos and lasts well enough for a reviewer to drool over it they don't care. People don't want quality anymore they want it to look cool and last until the next shiny comes out.

For example, i got my senhiser PC360s in 2010 they have been dropped stood on stretched and general abused for 5 years and they are still in working condition and have not missed a 'beat'. Compare that to them Dr Dre things that are made of shiny plastic to look good with your baseball cap, i don't see them taking that kind of abuse and still working after 5 months let along 5 years.

But witch one is more popular with the kids. The shiny things promoted by the talentless pop artist .

CherryKeyboards

04 Jun 2015, 16:54

As I know you're all aware, the new Cherry MX Board 6.0 (G80-3930LYBGB-2) is soon to become available on UK shores, as well as around the globe. Here in the UK, I'm now in receipt of a number of 'Press Samples' that we're looking to get reviewed - personally, I can't think of anywhere better to review a mechanical keyboard than on Deskthority, so I'm looking for ONE volunteer......

Anyone from the UK interested in receiving one of these keyboards to take a look at and write a report (hopefully a good one!) on the Deskthority site?

The samples we have are fully operational, but do have 'Engineering Sample' written across them. They will be equipped with Version 4.0.250 firmware, which can be 'upgraded' to the Version 6.0 firmware once available, though this is purely a name-change rather than any technological difference.

Samples are in our building and ready to send out and the relase date of the keyboard is nearly upon us - currently quoted as Jne 16th - so it's something I'd like to get moving as soon as possible.

So, anyone interested, please message me and I'll put you up for consideration.... :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Jun 2015, 17:00

CherryKeyboards wrote: […] personally, I can't think of anywhere better to review a mechanical keyboard than on Deskthority, so I'm looking for ONE volunteer...... […]
Welcome to DT, as this appears to be your first post after having joined more than three years ago :lol:

HzFaq

04 Jun 2015, 17:07

Volunteering Mu, I always enjoy reading his reviews.

Also welcome, nice to have another Cherry guy on the forum (I wonder what happened to Robin...).

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Jun 2015, 17:09

HzFaq wrote: Volunteering Mu, I always enjoy reading his reviews. […]
Yes,
it would be an excellent occasion for him to finally have a Cherry board :lol:

HzFaq

04 Jun 2015, 17:19

Also that :D.

As a...I wouldn't say hater but not the biggest Cherry fan ever, it would be interesting to get his viewpoint.

Don't suppose you fancy it then, kbdfr?

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 18:27

Thanks guys. He contacted me by email and I hopped aboard!

(Still Robin, by the way.)

Now, where are all those MX caps of mine…

CherryKeyboards

05 Jun 2015, 09:29

Welcome to DT, as this appears to be your first post after having joined more than three years ago :lol:[/quote]

Actually, no - it's my first post in a quite a while admittedly (yes, it is still Robin by the way!), but as I'm sure other members will testify, I've contributed a little to some of the topics where I can. Plus we've sold a few Cherry bits and pieces on here that have been of interest to the members - promo items, old catalogues, keycaps, keymodules etc, etc....If there's anything else to dig out, I'll put it on here!

My contributions on the site are sporadic, but if anyone has a Cherry related question, shout, as if I can answer, i will happiliy do so. Don't expect a quick answer though!!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Jun 2015, 09:59

Hi Robin,
No doubt you posted here before (as Robin13867), but obviously this was your first post with this account registered in February 2012 :mrgreen: .
CherryKeyboards wrote: Don't expect a quick answer though!!
see above :lol: :lol: :lol:

seebart

05 Jun 2015, 10:01

My contributions on the site are sporadic
well there is some truth to that. ;)

HzFaq

05 Jun 2015, 11:49

Ah cool, welcome back then Robin. Looking forward to seeing what new Cherry secrets you can let us in on....plus all the swag you find kicking around the office. I'm still using the bag I got from you as a work bag; perfect for my keyboard and sarnies :D.

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2015, 15:34

Return to “News”