deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

7bit

19 Feb 2015, 10:00

webwit wrote: Mediawiki and extensions (our wiki engine) were updated to the latest version.
Now it is the same shit as with wikipedia!
:o

If I entered some term, I was usually directed to the page where that term is described. But now, I get to the search result, as if the article about that term does not exist.
:mad:

Any chance this can be reveresed to the more ergonomic behavior?
:roll:

Or if people like that new behavior, just make a search field and a direct access field, so we can have both.
:-)

edit:
OK, I found a hack: I can enter that term in the URL and get directed to the page I want.
Didn't know it would work with spaces or lowercase etc.
:ugeek:

bhtooefr

19 Feb 2015, 12:08

I'm guessing it's JavaScript-related, because I just tried it on the Deskthority wiki and on English Wikipedia, and it sent me directly to the article.

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2015, 12:33

Same here. I type Futaba, and pressing Return sends me straight to:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Futaba

Update your browser!

andrewjoy

19 Feb 2015, 12:37

i get the same issue as 7bit when using text based browsers like links or elinks on deskthority and wikipeida

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Feb 2015, 01:40

7bit wrote:
webwit wrote: Mediawiki and extensions (our wiki engine) were updated to the latest version.
Now it is the same shit as with wikipedia!
The serif face headings are rather odd. What's really silly is that the wiki code/preview/changes tab panel is gone, which was tremendously useful. The only thing wrong with that is that it didn't show you the category bar: only the "full" preview mode would present that.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Feb 2015, 01:43

The tab panel is just a config option, which returned to default. I can return it to what it was if you like it that way.

7bit

21 Feb 2015, 10:33

This and get rid of the serif font in the title, please.
:-)

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2015, 11:17

Serifs are so… print. They stink of dying businesses, and whenever they show up I expect a flurry of incontinence ads somewhere on the page. (Or rather empty space where my adblocker trapped them.) They're a style that gives away a crusty mindset. And their use on Wikipedia screams for attention from a real designer someday. Boy, that place rides on the network effect.

Eventually the wheel of fashion will spin round and Serif will be in again, but I fear blackletter is due a turn first!

7bit

21 Feb 2015, 12:08

I don't have anything against serif fonts, except that I like Fraktur more.
:evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2015, 12:39

Can we / do we already have a way to get a list of all the threads a given user has created? I'm trying to find 002's Cherry TKL chop project in the Workshop. Haven't had any luck with "tkl" "tenkeyless" "mod" etc. and thought, bugger it, let's see all his Workshop threads! So, uh, how?

Halvar

24 Feb 2015, 12:51

Yes, that's possible In the advanced search:

"Search for author:"
"Search within: First post of topics only"
"Display results as: Topics"

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2015, 13:43

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Feb 2015, 01:31

There are two options to set an image for a topic. One is to use the first image on the page, which to avoid spoilers, may not be preferable. The other is to specify a URL. That latter option makes no sense: not only is the image downloaded and re-hosted, but it's also resampled even if it was the correct size originally. This means that you could waste time sorting out image hosting for the image, only to find that it was a complete waste of time since the hosting is only used to pull down the image once. Surely it should be a Browse button to select a local file?

Also, the feature way, way, way overdoes the sharpening after resampling; take the image for this topic, if you can get at it (page 2 of Keyboards):

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/mon ... t9557.html

It's sharpened to within an inch of its life. Originally the image was the correct size and it still looked like that. Years ago, when building a site for someone, I used a fast resample algorithm from somewhere like the PHP website that has a tunable sharpness level, and it seemed to work well when building thumbnails (supposedly faster than PHP's resample: it makes judicious use of PHP's resize to achieve resampling with lower CPU load than native resample, which was useful in my case as I was building a whole image gallery within a single live PHP page request).

There's also no Preview button, so your post gets its publicly-accessible edit count racked up as you trudge through failed attempt after failed attempt to get an image that comes out right, while everyone else wonders what on earth you've been doing to your topic to have to revise it that many times: you can't edit the image without having an edit marked against the content of the post, and I try to avoid editing posts as much as possible: what's written, is written, and editing is, for me, only acceptable if I can change things before anyone notices (and phpBB doesn't mark the post as edited). After that, it's too late — what's done is done.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Feb 2015, 01:50

It can be improved but it would take many hours to get it right. It's already a custom improvement, and this is not a web software development club, all extras in development are just a bonus, only stock phpBB is truly supported. If you or any others have a scratch, feel free to download phpBB or request the deskthority code base to insert your improvements. This is the point where you'll mention you wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Feb 2015, 02:27

Last time I looked at phpBB (must be eight years ago now!), "mods" were so far beyond a joke it wasn't funny. The instructions were literally "insert this line between these two lines, this line between these two lines …"

True plugins carry a lot more overhead, and the enthusiast-level Web has always tended to follow the pattern of interpreting/compiling on demand, using fresh database connections every time instead of connection pooling, instead of running applications as daemons with threading/forking, so there's a huge need to reduce the compilation and initialisation cost of scripts. (Enterprise-grade systems of course run daemonised, but even MacASP would cache compiled scripts.)

All I don't get is why you have to host an image only to have it re-hosted — unless you're using URL fopen() (which isn't sensible), it's more work than just reading files from CGI, as I recall. (I still work with PHP sometimes, but mostly it's Perl and a custom framework.)

I can certainly dig out my fast resample.

I'm still torn between the idea of having a keyboard and switch database website (regardless of the fact that it would go stale) vs the wiki, since the two would end up out of sync and wouldn't tie in with each other.

I'm looking at it from two angles. It shouldn't take very long to build a switch and keyboard database site, focusing just on the functionality and not the looks. As such, it would be a totally ad-hoc system.

I've had an idea floating around my head for many years, for an object-orientated content management system. From the user's perspective, you'd do something like this (very simplified, as our data model is fairly complex):

Define class "Manufacturer" as having: name, description
Define class "Image" as having: image (image), summary, description
Define class "Switch" as having: manufacturer (Manufacturer), model, is_clicky, is_tactile, description, images (list:Image)
Define class "Keyboard" as having manufacturer (Manufacturer), model, part number, switch (Switch), description, images (list:Image)

The system would automatically provide object creation pages where you'd add entries. For each class you'd have views: essentially named templates that you'd call as methods. The default view would present a full page. You could list items by iterators, which themselves call either a default view, or a named view. For example, the default view for Keyboard might include:

<h2>Gallery</h2>

[iterate :images (thumbnail)]

"thumbnail" would be a view on class Image that shows the image property as a thumbnail with the summary below. (Granted, you'd need an extra level of abstraction to apply different summaries when re-using images across pages.)

There'd also be a need to have an enclosing template to wrap the gallery, which could even include the <h2> if you wanted the iterator to be dropped if the images list was empty. There would be an option to use views to present custom objection creation forms.

The down side is that you need an interesting object-relational mapper to build this with, presumably, dynamic table creation, but it would be a rather nifty site builder. I figured at the time that it would even cover building whole forums.

Whether something like this already exists, I don't know. The big down side to replacing the whole wiki with it, is that you'd lose the revision history and advanced MediaWiki templating and markup, as well as the freedom to lay out pages as flexibly as you can now, but at the same time, you'd be able to rationalise categorisation, infoboxes etc into a uniform system that's easy to edit and easy to query.

As I see it, the likely situation is one of:

a) No such software exists because nobody wants it (I've well used to writing programs that nobody wants)

b) Such software exists, but it never caught on as nobody wants it (the idea goes back to Allaire Spectra, that I think worked along these same lines, but was insanely complicated)

The advantage of such a CMS would be that it could be made use of by people outside Deskthority, but it would require far more work than simply building a quick ad hoc site.

That's enough mad ranting for one night.

Muirium
µ

01 Mar 2015, 16:35

Any chance we can flip the switch on Tapatalk emoji? The big ugly buggers are popping up all over the place lately, like dandelions. Unlike the forum's native smileys, I can't set these to simply display as text. :roll: Get off my lawn!

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Mar 2015, 19:37

Now disabled.

Muirium
µ

01 Mar 2015, 19:39

[emoji whoo hoo!]

mr_a500

01 Mar 2015, 19:45

Muirium
µ

01 Mar 2015, 19:46

chzel

01 Mar 2015, 19:49

I'm sure seebart will hate this!

Muirium
µ

01 Mar 2015, 19:57

Add emoji to the shirt:

Well, overuse of emoji. I'm sure they all have a place, every once in a while. There'll always be [img] tags for that.

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2015, 15:01

My guess is this would be nontrivial to implement. But it'd be a hell of a perk:
Muirium wrote:
guk wrote:
IvanIvanovich wrote: Wish I would have known about that G80-0312. First time seeing the ORIGINAL MX G80 model up for sale and it goes for really cheap no less.
Only means you have to check this thread more frequently, it was posted while the auction had several days left. :(
We need a club members feature: subscribe to forum updates. Where you can define your own queries. Notifications are great things.

(I made my own version of this with Freegle — Edinburgh's alt Freecycle because we're all about alt, damnit — where I subscribed to email notifications of *all* new stuff, and used Gmail's server side rules to filter out everything besides a few keywords I was into. Got a few nice vintage Macs that way. Could surely see something like it being very useful here, if we can integrate it somehow.)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Mar 2015, 15:09

(/-_·)/D····>

Halvar

04 Mar 2015, 15:31

Come on -- now it's asking too much to even follow the topic to profit from seebart's and other people's shared discoveries? Or find an ingenoius own solution?

Don't follow the forum ==> get out.

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2015, 15:39

I know. The great finds thread is still more controversial than I like to think!

Actually, where I'd really smart subscriptions is for group buys. It's hard to catch everyone's eye during the window of opportunity for a lot of small-batch stuff. A way to reach people would be most useful.

This sort of thing is why I'd like us to publish a DT blog. Something timely, quick and readable, with links into the forum, that we edit and keep updated. That would help for sure. Though a newsletter (or custom subscriptions) go the next level by heading out to people for themselves, without the need for a speculative visit.

Halvar

04 Mar 2015, 16:15

Sure, group buys, new reviews or interesting workshop threads are a good examples where it makes sense. If we find someone willing to write it I'm all in for that, and with an RRS feed and an email notification option no speculative visits are needed if someone doesn't want to.

There are other examples where I think that actively following or, even better where possible, participating in the forum should be rewarded.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Mar 2015, 16:26

What kind of rewards? ?_?

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2015, 16:38

The great finds thread awards the forum sharks very nicely!

If you remember, that's why Cindy came up with her list system, because me and Scott and a few others were constantly snatching everything up! Ah, the good old days…

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Mar 2015, 23:52

webwit wrote: The tab panel is just a config option, which returned to default. I can return it to what it was if you like it that way.
May as well, please.

Return to “Deskthority talk”