Pink Vs. Orange ALPS

Wibox

07 Sep 2011, 04:39

I have an M0115 and an M0116 with orange and pink ALPS respectfully. I have had several friends try both of these keyboards and they always like the oranges better. I agree, the oranges feel better. But I've read numerous times that Pinks are sought after (along with blues), and I don't get it.

To anyone who has tried both pink and orange ALPS: What do you think?

These are the orange ALPS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-E ... 0810427280

(I realize now I probably won't get many responses since not many people use ALPS)
Last edited by Wibox on 08 Sep 2011, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Sep 2011, 11:45

I was under the impression that orange and pink alps are identical and they only come out differently due to different saturation on photos and differences in translation from Asian languages. I have a friend who is somewhat into ALPS, I'll ask him.

woody
Count Troller

07 Sep 2011, 12:21

I would like some more info on pink and orange ALPS, too.

I got a NIB M0116 from Jim66 which has somewhat pinky switches. They are not clicky and very lightly tactile.

Isn't orange ALPS supposed to be clicky? The taxi-yellow ALPS are very clicky and tactile, I was under the impression that they're what is called orange.

Lenny_Nero

07 Sep 2011, 20:27

My orange ALPS are are clicky and tactile, not in any way strong, but quite light,
IIRC, been a while since I looked at them.
But they dont look as bright as the ones in that link, I thought they were called salmon ??? ALPS fun.

I have not long got another Viglen board (great big thing) that with the quick look could have been pink, or lemon ??
It was quite dark and very dusty and I wanted out of the room where they had sat for 10 plus years.

IMO good Blue ALPS still rule.

itlnstln

07 Sep 2011, 20:42

Questions about ALPS only leads to more confusion.

One thing that does seem pretty consistent is that ALPS do not age well, especially when heavily used or stored improperly (i.e. in a dirty location). It could be that one set may have been used more or improperly stored, but are otherwise identical. You may want to really clean out a couple of switches on the pink 'board and see if it feels any better. Taking apart the switches will also show how similar or different they are in construction.

I'm concur with sixty that I thought they were the same switch with maybe some color variation in the stem due to age, different dyes, etc.

Wibox

08 Sep 2011, 00:14

Orange and Pink ALPS are different. I own a board with Pinks and a board with Oranges. They feel like they have the same amount of resistance however the pinks feel 'mushier' and seem almost like they have a shorter key travel. They are definitely different switches.

The oranges I have are not clicky, but they are tactile. They feel similar to the pinks, but better. They are.. I like to describe them as bouncy. They pop back up at you in a surprising way.

Also, notice the gray plate in the Orange ALPS pictures here: http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=760&p=14160
I don't think Pink ALPS have the extended gray plate. This means the difference between Pinks and Oranges may be nearly the same as the difference between Blue ALPS and White ALPS. ! http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?atta ... 1311430688

When I get home I'm going to open two up and figure this out.

ripster

08 Sep 2011, 01:42

Nice Pic!!!

That Ripster guy sure was smart figuring out that Blue Vs White Clicky ALPS thing....

Good luck figuring it out. Warning, remember what happens to people when they study ALPS too long. They start developing a Nickel Fetish.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Sep 2011, 02:24

You're entering the realms of insanity now buddy, speaking about yourself in 3rd person, asking yourself questions which you answer yourself... Image I told you not to get too deep into the Alps!

Wibox

08 Sep 2011, 02:30

So I was right. Ripster, there's something I noticed in person that I didn't notice in your picture before (but I do now). The spring for orange is differently colored than the spring for pinks- one is a bronze color and one is a silver color. Any idea why that is?

Here are the pictures I took tonight.

So here's what I was right on: Orange ALPS do have a larger back plate. It isn't gray like with white/blue, though.

Pinks have the ALPS logo on the top, while the oranges do not.

The bottom has one difference. Pink on the left.

The orange and pink sliders are the same, but, they do come from different molds! The sprue mark is on the front of the orange slider but on the back of the pink slider.

Springs. They are different color. Like I said, I don't know exactly what this means, I don't know much about metals.

Here are the back plates inside of the switches.

I feel a lot better now. I had read somewhere that Pinks were more saught after than Oranges, and, that they felt better. Yet every person I had try both boards said they liked the Oranges more, including myself. So I'm not crazy. Oranges are to pinks what blues are to whites.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Sep 2011, 03:13

I have a WANG with orange Alps and they have the ALPS logo on top.

Wibox

08 Sep 2011, 03:49

webwit wrote:I have a WANG with orange Alps and they have the ALPS logo on top.
Are they non-clicky like mine? Can you pop the top off and see if the slider's sprue mark is on the front or back? Is the backplate gray or white?
I don't think it's possible to see if it uses the larger backplate without desoldering it, but the rest is viewable by popping the top off.

These differences might reflect the country of origin. The different sprue mark locations at least hint at perhaps different factories.

woody
Count Troller

08 Sep 2011, 13:00

Still confused - what are the taxi-yellow ALPS called? Yellow or orange?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Sep 2011, 13:06

I'd call the Yellow Alps Yellow Alps. However, the "pink" ones I call Salmon Alps.
alps1.JPG
alps1.JPG (117.36 KiB) Viewed 21823 times
alps2.jpg
alps2.jpg (145.76 KiB) Viewed 21823 times

ripster

08 Sep 2011, 15:41

Now THAT'S a nice watermark.

The logo thing is quite random AFAIK.

I'm not a big fan of the "Hanzo Steel" school of springs being ALL that much different. I tend to simply count coils and measure thickness. Or better yet just stick a RipOmeter on the whole switch and fuggedaboutit.

The longer plates DEFINITELY makes a difference in smoothness after the activation point.

Thanks for the Info!

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Sep 2011, 20:27

Wibox wrote:
Are they non-clicky like mine? Can you pop the top off and see if the slider's sprue mark is on the front or back? Is the backplate gray or white?
I don't think it's possible to see if it uses the larger backplate without desoldering it, but the rest is viewable by popping the top off.

These differences might reflect the country of origin. The different sprue mark locations at least hint at perhaps different factories.
Non-clicky, sprue mark on the other side. Backplate is black. I'll post some pictures later.

Jim66

08 Sep 2011, 22:13

I have owned both brand new pink and orange ALPS and I can safely say that orange were my fav by a long way.

As you have said, they are very light and not very tactile. Oddly enough, most ALPS (certain the orange that I used to type on) actuate before the tactile bump so their tactility is really a moot point.

ALPS = Headache.

Wibox

08 Sep 2011, 22:36

webwit wrote:
Wibox wrote:

Non-clicky, sprue mark on the other side. Backplate is black. I'll post some pictures later.
Seems their construction is completely different then, as far as the plastics and molds go. I think it's either because they were produced at different times or they were produced at different factories (ALPS in Japan VS. ALPS in Taiwan); or both. If you ever desolder those switches check the back plate... maybe there are orange alps with the smaller modern back plates (with logo on top) and orange alps with the older larger back plages (without logo).

ALPS ALPS ALPS ALPS
Jim66 wrote:As you have said, they are very light and not very tactile. Oddly enough, most ALPS (certain the orange that I used to type on) actuate before the tactile bump so their tactility is really a moot point.
I haven't used it with a computer yet, just typing on it without it plugged in.. I have a FIlco zero on the way that I plan on replacing the switches with the oranges. I'm not sure if I mind the actuation being before the bump or not since they feel nicer bottoming out anyway.

Oranges might not be the end all be all of ALPS for me, I still have green, yellow, and blue to try...

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Sep 2011, 22:50

Wibox wrote:Seems their construction is completely different then, as far as the plastics and molds go. I think it's either because they were produced at different times or they were produced at different factories (ALPS in Japan VS. ALPS in Taiwan); or both. If you ever desolder those switches check the back plate... maybe there are orange alps with the smaller modern back plates (with logo on top) and orange alps with the older larger back plages (without logo)
I don't know when the modern back plates came into play, but it's an old WANG with Word Perfect (I think) color stickers on some of the modifiers. I didn't really dig this keyboard when I got it and never cleaned it, but now I play with it I'm starting to appreciate the feel.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Sep 2011, 21:32

wang.jpg
wang.jpg (193.56 KiB) Viewed 21671 times

ripster

18 Sep 2011, 19:01

If you look REAL closely you can see if the white switch is the longer one or not by seeing if it rests on these two bumps or directly on the bottom of the lower switch case.

No bumps on the lower case of these Vintage Vintage ALPS.

I betcha this explains why the "older is better" maxim may actually apply here, not the sliders. Firmer contact. Less vibration. Solid feel.

Wibox

21 Sep 2011, 16:12

webwit wrote:wang.jpg
Looks like you got the short end of the stick.

EDIT: nvm I noticed that wasn't the backplate you pulled out. Disregard ..

I wonder if all oranges without the ALPS logo ontop have the longer plate and all of the ones with the ALPS log ontop have the shorter plate..

btw I received a filco zero and have replaced the switches with my oranges. The result is nice however now I am in need of better key caps .. It's too bad round 4 doesn't have many ALPS options.

awry

26 Sep 2011, 01:27

Hmm... Wonder where you got that Filco Zero from.. Haha..

Glad you like it man... =]

I dunno why you would think that there are so little Alps lovers out there. it's Topre for me follow by Alps, The MX Blue on the Dolch (it just feels damn different to me, i normally hate blues.), a very far behind Cherry MX and even further buckling springs which erm.. are used more for exercise than anything else.. heh..

I've never tried orange alps, could someone recommend a board to me? Currently I have a Focus 5001, Dell, Omnikey, Ortek, Siig mini(Can someone tell me which is the "good" Siig? There's a better version or something like that right? Sorry, Alps were the last switches I learnt about and quite recent.) and I dunno, maybe one or two other...

I've heard alot about orange Alps but are they reeeeally that different? i have too many keyboards as it is. it's not even even funny.

ripster

26 Sep 2011, 08:17

Pink.

Salmon

Orange=Salmon (different cameras bring out different colors) Longer switch plate....
Last edited by ripster on 26 Sep 2011, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Sep 2011, 16:55

You mean pink salmon or orange salmon? And orange with the sprue mark in front, or on the backside? With or without ALPS logo?

ripster

26 Sep 2011, 19:42

I only pay attention to force diagrams. Otherwise nickels.

Is it me or does the typical ALPS lover simply have a hard time communicating?

awry

29 Sep 2011, 02:35

Cool. Thanks. Now you got me wondering what they feel like. Alps are crazy.

Clickey

05 Oct 2011, 13:48

Hey, I am new to deskthority, but know most of you from geekhack. The orange ALPS can develop something that seems like clickiness but is actually not. The tactile metal gets pulled on the upstroke of the switch and pops back and forth to make a click that is unique (not like white alps). It is not what I would call true click, as it only happens on the upstroke and is due to damage/misformation of the switch and not meant to exist in that state.

My oranges have ALPS logo on the top, I will take one apart and compare photos with those posted here to see if there is actually multiple types of orange ALPS.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Oct 2011, 14:01

I noticed the same thing, you described it well. But only if you press the keys slowly, if I remember correctly. When I tapped the keys forcefully, there were less non-clicky clicks on the upstroke.

Clickey

08 Oct 2011, 22:22

Ok, I took a pic of pink vs blue alps, highlighting the differences. Pretty much the same differences as the orange vs pink (I thought my pinks were orange, because it really is not a true pink color, I think salmon is a better word too).

So if pinks are the worse version of orange, how do blacks fit in? They seem to be exactly the same as pinks, but I got rid of my AT101 so I can't compare. Anyone want to explain?

Blue on the left, pink on the right.
Attachments
differences between Pink ALPS and Blue ALPS gif.gif
differences between Pink ALPS and Blue ALPS gif.gif (763.92 KiB) Viewed 21271 times

ripster

09 Oct 2011, 00:39

Blacks versus Pinks? Not sure if there IS any difference. I have a hard time getting ALPS users to compare key feel.

Return to “Keyboards”