Just picked up this IBM model M, for free..

krpec

04 Mar 2015, 19:10

Hi all,

it's my first post here, as mechanical keyboards raised my interest recently. After seeing many restoration and other posts about old keyboards, I began searching local bazaar and auction websites and was asking all of my friends and family if they have any old keyboards laying unused.

Today, I remembered that a lot of those were at my local children and youth organisation, which runs hobby groups and where I've attended my first programming course years ago. So after e-mailing to the technical section manager of said organisation, I've picked up this beauty from him, for free! :) Few keycaps are missing and there's no cable, and the manager didn't know if it's working, but those are only minor setbacks, I have no reason to be disappointed given the price. :D

More photos:
Spoiler:

As I wrote, I'm new to this, but I'm looking forward to give this beauty a proper cleaning and restoration, maybe nut and bolt mod, and Teensy 2.0..

Anyway, I'll be thankful for any advice!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Mar 2015, 19:19

Welcome to DT krpec! You can't go wrong with a Model M, especially for free! You don't need a teensy to use this keyboard.

scottc

04 Mar 2015, 19:24

Welcome! Nice keyboard. What layout is that? It looks very interesting.

You should be able to get the cable from Unicomp, or from the the user "elecplus". A European member might have one closer, depending on where you're located.

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Mar 2015, 19:59

Orihalcon's cables are pricey, but take you straight to USB and look and work great. Available now in beige, too!

chzel

04 Mar 2015, 20:07

They seem to be out if stock right now, though.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

04 Mar 2015, 20:20

krpec

04 Mar 2015, 22:32

@scottc That is Czech layout :) We are the only one who's using accented r - ř ;) I'll definitely look for that cable, thanks..

scottc

04 Mar 2015, 22:35

Oh, cool! I should know, actually, since I just bought a load of Czech keyboards. :lol: Check out guk's link for a cable!

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2015, 22:36

They're expensive things. And not actually necessary if you want to convert to USB inside the keyboard. You could remove the socket at the back and route a USB cable out from the Teensy you mentioned. Or, for a more professional look, there's Phosphor's replacement controller which I'm keen to get my hands on when he's ready for production:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/univ ... ml#p214231

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Mar 2015, 00:06

chzel wrote: They seem to be out if stock right now, though.
Maybe? Shoot orihalcon a PM. You'll get better pricing that way anyway.

krpec

05 Mar 2015, 11:04

@Muirium yeah, that's what I was planning. I looked for replacement SDL to PS/2 cable at Unicomp website, eBay and few other places and I realized, that it'd be cheaper for me to just order Teensy 2.0 and convert it to USB inside the keyboard. The replacement cable at Unicomp costs I think $15 without shipping, while the Teensy would be for $16-$18 with free shipping.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Mar 2015, 17:21

There are a few SDL to PS/2 spares in my attic that I could let go.

Shoot me a PM.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Mar 2015, 17:22

Oh, and welcome to DT! :D

Return to “Keyboards”