TEX Yoda Keyboard release

bhtooefr

29 May 2014, 15:06

Out of curiosity, what happens if you flick the pointer against the edge of the screen?

Does it just stay against the edge, or bounce back?

That'll be one clue as far as where the TrackPoint modules came from.

mr_peck

29 May 2014, 15:13

It stay against the border. Same on my thinkpad.

bhtooefr

29 May 2014, 15:22

If your ThinkPad is newer than a 750 from about 1995, it should bounce back if you do it right.

mr_peck

29 May 2014, 15:26

Thinkpad X201 => no bounce back.
Maybe it's more a software functionality.

bhtooefr

29 May 2014, 15:30

Basically, what you should be doing is "throwing" the pointer against the edge of the screen, rather than pressing it against. And the negative inertia functionality is present in all TrackPoint III and IV microcontrollers, and works even when no TrackPoint driver is running.

scottc

29 May 2014, 15:38

X201 here too, can't seem to reproduce that on my built-in trackpoint either.

eloi

29 May 2014, 17:34

I have an external USB thinkpad keyboard laying around (a future a trackpoint "donor" for my main driver) and I think that I can reproduce the behaviour described by bhtooefr, but it took me several tries.

The trick is not to press hard the trackpoint, but instead tap hit it lightly in a sideways motion. The methapor here will be to use a similar motion as if you were throwing a ball.

If you use the trackpoint like this you could see the pointer bouncing back at the end of the movement, when the negative inertia "kicks in". I confirmed also that this behaviour is not present in an ancient laptop that I have also laying around that its not an IBM/Lenovo one.

bhtooefr

29 May 2014, 18:06

Remember, though, the TrackPoint II also lacks this functionality, and I believe some Toshiba laptops as well as a few Unix workstation laptops used that version of the TrackPoint.

(And the TrackPoint I isn't a pointing stick, it's a horrendous mouse/trackball hybrid thing, so it doesn't count.)

scottc

29 May 2014, 18:12

eloi wrote:The trick is not to press hard the trackpoint, but instead tap hit it lightly in a sideways motion. The methapor here will be to use a similar motion as if you were throwing a ball.
Ah yes, thank you! That's a good description for how to reproduce it. That works here.

rindorbrot

29 May 2014, 18:24

With my X220 internal Trackpoint it bounces, too.
On my current gen USB Thinkpad keyboard it does not.

mr_peck

05 Jun 2014, 21:15

My Yoda gets a new dress for his second week :

Medowy

25 Jun 2014, 10:24

mr_peck wrote: My Yoda gets a new dress for his second week :

I really like that color scheme!

Grond

25 Jun 2014, 10:43

Any review for this keyboard?

maxrunner

02 Jul 2014, 20:40

this looks really neat where can you buy it?

maxrunner

10 Jul 2014, 13:05

This is on massdrop now? but as usual we have to assemble it.

Grond

10 Jul 2014, 13:12

No Iso plate included in massdrop... and still expensive for something you keed to solder yourself.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-yoda?mode=guest_open

maxrunner

10 Jul 2014, 15:05

Grond wrote: No Iso plate included in massdrop... and still expensive for something you keed to solder yourself.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-yoda?mode=guest_open
Yeah, and where would you get the ISO plate btw?

scottc

10 Jul 2014, 15:06

Wow, that's almost the same price as the fully assembled one. What a rip-off.

maxrunner

10 Jul 2014, 15:16

Where can you buy a fully assembled one?

scottc

10 Jul 2014, 15:18

There was a pre-release thread somewhere around the forums but it's over now. Search for "TEX Yoda".

Grond

10 Jul 2014, 15:26

I understand with such numbers as 50 units they don't get much volume discount. If they included the Iso plate and a universal blank keycaps set, or no keycaps at all, maybe they would be able to sell more units and make it cheaper. Or maybe it's just them being greedy. :(

Uncleleech

11 Jul 2014, 10:55

If I wasn't spending all of my money on my ErgoDox I would really want this for a travel keyboard. I really love the aluminium body.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Jul 2014, 16:05

If I understand things correctly, the unassembled keyboard does not include switches in that $200 price?

The aluminum case is probably the main thing jacking up the price. If they offered a plastic option, it probably would be a lot cheaper.

Thion

31 Jul 2014, 14:27

Hi, is it still possible to order from the website? (EU-Version)

zmurf

09 Sep 2014, 10:18

I would also like to know if there is somewhere to buy this? Or if it will be sold again some time soon?

justin

06 Mar 2015, 07:01

mr_peck wrote: My Yoda gets a new dress for his second week :

WOW !! YODA + DSA profile keycap , that's super !!

Return to “News”