Tipro MID questions

fyonn

22 Feb 2015, 23:17

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so I hope you'll bear with my naive questions :)

I'm currently playing a computer game (the new elite game) with lots of bound keys I can't always remember. To help with this I wanted to pick up a programmable matrix layout keyboard where I could label the keys and I was initially put off my the, ahh, significant price of entry. after some digging, I found out that I could potentially use an old PoS keyboard to achieve the same effect for significantly less and I took a risk and bought an old, but apparently unused digipios keyboard off ebay for £30. my research leads me to conclude that underneath it's a Tipro mid keyboard with cherry mx black switches underneath (I assume this is a good thing).

Googling for information led me here and that's why I'm asking questions :)

Here is a picture of the keyboard in question, not the best quality but I can take better one if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5sgmy7egk3je ... s.JPG?dl=0

The model number is MID-AM-RM128A-UK-RA-02, part number is 25490 and the serial number begins with 2005 which leads me to think that is was made that year?

Anyway questions.

1) I have a staggered qwerty layout on top which is nice, but 80 blank keys underneath. I think those keys should have clear tops on them allowing a label to be visible, but I don't have them. If that's right, where can I get the clear tops from, preferably relatively cheaply?

2) I'm guessing that I could potentially get double and quad keys also with clear caps? how much are they?

3) the keyboard currently has a PS2 interface so I've built up a windows xp box to program it for now but obviously that's not ideal. reading some of the threads here leads me to think that I might be able to get a USB controller card for the keyboard and use it to replace the PS2 card? is that right? that would then enable me to program it with a 64bit version of windows? if this is true, how much and how available are USB controller cards? is it a difficult job? I'm handy enough on the inside of a PC.

4) Can I get rid of that card reader on the side easily? I don't need it but I'm not that bothered either way I suppose.

Many thanks for any help you may be.

Cheers
David

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Feb 2015, 07:31

fyonn wrote: Hello everyone
Welcome on DT!
[…] my research leads me to conclude that underneath it's a Tipro mid keyboard with cherry mx black switches underneath (I assume this is a good thing)
[…]
and the serial number begins with 2005 which leads me to think that is was made that year
All this is right.
I think those keys should have clear tops on them allowing a label to be visible, but I don't have them. If that's right, where can I get the clear tops from, preferably relatively cheaply?
I think I can help, give me some time to check.
I'm guessing that I could potentially get double and quad keys also with clear caps? how much are they?
Here also I think I can help, but not with black caps, I only have beige ones.
reading some of the threads here leads me to think that I might be able to get a USB controller card for the keyboard and use it to replace the PS2 card? is that right? that would then enable me to program it with a 64bit version of windows? if this is true, how much and how available are USB controller cards? is it a difficult job? I'm handy enough on the inside of a PC.
Replacing the PS/2 controller with a USB controller is a matter of a few seconds. But getting a USB controller will be a problem. I'll ask Tipro today if they happen to have some left (the MID keyboard range having been discontinued) and if so, would start a group buy.
Can I get rid of that card reader on the side easily? I don't need it but I'm not that bothered either way I suppose.
All you need is a cruciform screwdriver (it's the only tool you need at all with Tipro keyboards, by the way). Turn the keyboard with its face on the table, remove the screws from both units. Remove both metal back plates. Now pull from its socket the small ribbon cable electronically connecting both units, pull the plastic "shoe" physically connecting them. Remove the same way the side cover from the card reader unit and insert it on the keyboard unit (exactly where the "shoe" was). Back plate back, screws, you're done.

Now I have a question myself:
the keyboard currently has a PS2 interface so I've built up a windows xp box to program it for now but obviously that's not ideal
Can you explain that in simple terms? Is that a software solution which allows programming of a PS/2 Tipro keyboard under a 64-bit system? As you may have read here, PS/2 Tipro keyboards can be programmed only with 32-bit systems, USB Tipro keyboards only with 64-bit systems.

CeeSA

23 Feb 2015, 11:30

USB Tipro w/ 32-bit system should also work ;)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Feb 2015, 11:36

CeeSA wrote: USB Tipro w/ 32-bit system should also work ;)
Are you sure? I'm not even certain I ever tried it :lol:

fyonn

23 Feb 2015, 21:43

kbdfr wrote: Welcome on DT!
I think I can help, give me some time to check.
cheers
Here also I think I can help, but not with black caps, I only have beige ones.
I'm not over-fussy :)
Replacing the PS/2 controller with a USB controller is a matter of a few seconds. But getting a USB controller will be a problem. I'll ask Tipro today if they happen to have some left (the MID keyboard range having been discontinued) and if so, would start a group buy.
would appreciate knowing, are they expensive?
All you need is a cruciform screwdriver (it's the only tool you need at all with Tipro keyboards, by the way).
ahh excellent, screwdrivers I have
Now I have a question myself:
the keyboard currently has a PS2 interface so I've built up a windows xp box to program it for now but obviously that's not ideal
Can you explain that in simple terms? Is that a software solution which allows programming of a PS/2 Tipro keyboard under a 64-bit system? As you may have read here, PS/2 Tipro keyboards can be programmed only with 32-bit systems, USB Tipro keyboards only with 64-bit systems.
nono, what I meant was that the computer I intend to use this with is 64bit windows 7 which I know can't be used to program a PS2 tipro keyboard, so I used a spare computer, stuck windows XP 32bit on it so I can program the keyboard. keeping a computer around just to program a keyboard is only really a short-term solution hence wondering if I can stick a USB controller board into it.

You've been very helpful, thanks

David

Thanks for all your help

Mal-2

23 Feb 2015, 23:02

fyonn wrote: nono, what I meant was that the computer I intend to use this with is 64bit windows 7 which I know can't be used to program a PS2 tipro keyboard, so I used a spare computer, stuck windows XP 32bit on it so I can program the keyboard. keeping a computer around just to program a keyboard is only really a short-term solution hence wondering if I can stick a USB controller board into it.
I figured that's what you meant, but you could keep around a USB drive with 32-bit anything (could be 7) and boot from that when necessary, instead of keeping a whole machine around. It's still not ideal, but it beats keeping an entire computer for no other purpose than to run 32-bit-only software.

fyonn

05 Mar 2015, 23:13

kbdfr wrote: I think I can help, give me some time to check.
hiya,

I was wondering if you'd checked?

cheers
david

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Mar 2015, 09:47

fyonn wrote: I was wondering if you'd checked?
I did now :lol:
PM'd

By the way,
http://deskthority.net/help-f53/please- ... t1386.html

fyonn

07 Mar 2015, 00:48

kbdfr wrote:
fyonn wrote: I was wondering if you'd checked?
I did now :lol:
PM'd
you make a good argument, done!

David

Return to “Keyboards”