Model M, PS2 Vs USB

pjmelon

10 Mar 2015, 02:39

Ordered myself an old school model M and wanted to make sure I had the right adapter for when it arrives.

Plan on using it at work with a desktop that has a PS2 keyboard plug. I know the model M has pretty high power draw and was wondering whether modern PS2 plugs can handle it.

The other question is that if I went the USB path would this one do (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Ziotek-PS2-K ... 541005c100)
Id prefer something cheaper but if I have to get it I will.

Eventually ill probably refurbish it and put in USB converter but want to get running as quick as possible.
Attachments
ModelM.JPG
ModelM.JPG (137.56 KiB) Viewed 4811 times

Touch_It

10 Mar 2015, 02:45

Blue cube should work fine

Edit something cheaper should work as well but I can't elaborate without doing some research.

macmakkara

10 Mar 2015, 12:45

Also modern ps/2 port is good. Im running my SSK from asus p9x79 ps/2 port. Also other Ms work but using mainly ssk

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Mar 2015, 13:10

macmakkara wrote: Also modern ps/2 port is good. Im running my SSK from asus p9x79 ps/2 port. Also other Ms work but using mainly ssk
Absolutely. I doubt you are going to notice a response difference to USB pjmelon.

scottc

10 Mar 2015, 13:38

That's a crazy price for a blue cube, they can be had for probably about half of that.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Mar 2015, 13:41

scottc wrote: That's a crazy price for a blue cube, they can be had for probably about half of that.
I remember I paid under € 10 for mine with shipping.

scottc

10 Mar 2015, 13:47

Yeah, same here!

pjmelon

11 Mar 2015, 01:23

So I got the keyboard and it is in good shape.
Need to fix the spacebar stabilizer but no big deal.

I plugged into PS2 port on my Linux Mint 17.1 Box and it does not work with linux. :(

I dont think it is broken because it works in the bios and in the DOS prompt (yes I have bootable DOS CD)

Any ideas?

LLRnR
\m/

12 Mar 2015, 09:46

pjmelon wrote: I plugged into PS2 port on my Linux Mint 17.1 Box and it does not work with linux. :(

I dont think it is broken because it works in the bios and in the DOS prompt (yes I have bootable DOS CD)

Any ideas?
I've been trying out Linux Mint 17.1 (64bit) for the past couple of days. I have no problem with my PS/2 Model M. I'm not on that machine at the moment, but off the top of my head I'd say check out output related to PS/2 in dmesg and check whether the keyboard is listed in /proc/bus/input/devices.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

12 Mar 2015, 09:50

And don't plug in and out while computer is on. PS2 is not supposed to be plug and play, even if some mother cards handle it. You could destroy your PS2 port like this. It happened on mine when I was not aware of this limitation, and the PS2 port of my Sabertooth never worked again.

LLRnR
\m/

12 Mar 2015, 09:57

ramnes wrote: And don't plug in and out while computer is on. PS2 is not supposed to be plug and play, even if some mother cards handle it. You could destroy your PS2 port like this. It happened on mine when I was not aware of this limitation, and the PS2 port of my Sabertooth never worked again.
I wasn't aware one could destroy the PS/2 port like this! I'm sorry to hear about your Sabertooth. Oh, the irony! when you think Asus were marketing this board as a sturdy monster with thermal armor, TUF and the like, designed to last a long time... just to have its PS/2 port go kaboom when hotplugging. Glad I got the Hero VII in this case.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

12 Mar 2015, 10:27

LLRnR wrote:
ramnes wrote: And don't plug in and out while computer is on. PS2 is not supposed to be plug and play, even if some mother cards handle it. You could destroy your PS2 port like this. It happened on mine when I was not aware of this limitation, and the PS2 port of my Sabertooth never worked again.
I wasn't aware one could destroy the PS/2 port like this! I'm sorry to hear about your Sabertooth. Oh, the irony! when you think Asus were marketing this board as a sturdy monster with thermal armor, TUF and the like, designed to last a long time... just to have its PS/2 port go kaboom when hotplugging. Glad I got the Hero VII in this case.
Yep. The back panel of my Sabertooth is kind of a battlefield. The PS2 is dead, some USB are dead, and the stereo never worked on the front speakers' jack.

pjmelon

14 Mar 2015, 05:47

It worked on my Windows computer at work which is where I want to use it in the end.
Just finished washing the keycaps and cleaning out some dust. Will put it back together tomorrow. One of the joys of the Model M is that the keys are angle the same way, meaning to change to Dvorak I just have to move the keys around.

pjmelon

15 Mar 2015, 01:41

Well finished cleaning up my Model M and of course the dental floss mod to soften it a tad. I know there is debate between using Ultra and Super floss.
I find that Ultra Floss gets rid of the ping without affecting the tactile feel while the Super Floss dulls the sound more but really dulls the tactile feel.

The only problem I had is that the .Del key on the keypad is missing :(
Does anyone know a good source for the key?

I tried clicky keyboards and found their price reasonable ($1) but they wanted $25US to ship it to Canada which is a little rediculous since I get stuff shipped from the US all the time and find it is never more than $4-$5 for something that size. I contacted them just in case it is an error but am doubtful.
Attachments
IBM ModelMComplete.jpeg
IBM ModelMComplete.jpeg (308.19 KiB) Viewed 4633 times

pjmelon

17 Mar 2015, 00:26

Just a bump,

Does anyone know where to get the keycap for the IBM Model M?

Just looking for the .Del key on the Num Pad.

Found one on ebay but again the shipping charge to Canada is excessive ($15US)

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2015, 00:31

pjmelon wrote: Just a bump,

Does anyone know where to get the keycap for the IBM Model M?

Just looking for the .Del key on the Num Pad.

Found one on ebay but again the shipping charge to Canada is excessive ($15US)
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/ has original model M caps ( best option)

http://www.pckeyboard.com/ for reproductions ( nice but not a patch on originals)

Looks like you already checked clickykeyboards, try unicomp. if not , once i get my silver label M i am going to part out the other , if i don't need the cap for the silver label i can send it to you for the cost of a bubble mailer over the pond . However it may be a while , you would be better trying to find someone with a board to part out in the us.

pjmelon

18 Mar 2015, 03:27

My preference is to go with originals if possible.

I am in no hurry as the keyboard works great without the missing key. If you end up sparing parting it I will grab it off you.

All of my keyboards so far have been custom jobs and this was the first IBM model M. It is noisy as hell but there is something satisfying about the feel and sound that it makes. Damn as addictive as crack.

I am tempted to try a more ambitious model M project but will wait and see after my thinkpad project is complete.

Return to “Workshop”