IBM 107 4707 - my solution to a handicap keyboard (no legs)

idollar
i$

20 Mar 2015, 13:21

Hi,

I cannot type with handicap (= no legs) keyboards.
So when I received my brand old 107 I had to find a solution. Here it is: a rubber pencil, cut in the middle (or at the height that you like) with a hole in the middle to hold the screw. The head of the screw is forced into the hole.

The rubber will not let you keyboard move in the desk.
In my opinion, a nice and simple solution.

Note: I have to remove some metal inserts in the board also. If you follow this process, keep them save. You may like to install the original feet in the future.

i$
Attachments
IMG_20150320_130810.jpg
IMG_20150320_130810.jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
IMG_20150320_130640.jpg
IMG_20150320_130640.jpg (306.26 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Last edited by idollar on 20 Mar 2015, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

20 Mar 2015, 13:53

lol thats amazing

snoopy

20 Mar 2015, 13:54

nice solution. doesn't it feel a bit 'wobbly'?

But for me, the real problem with this board is the position of the mouse if you're right handed...

so... next mod: cut the numpad?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Mar 2015, 14:00

very creative idollar! I wonder if this would work on my 3104?

idollar
i$

20 Mar 2015, 14:13

snoopy wrote: nice solution. doesn't it feel a bit 'wobbly'?
No, it does not. Perhaps because I have chosen a big rubber.
But for me, the real problem with this board is the position of the mouse if you're right handed...
so... next mod: cut the numpad?
I love it as it is ...

idollar
i$

20 Mar 2015, 14:26

seebart wrote: very creative idollar! I wonder if this would work on my 3104?
I do not know the 3104 (unfortunately).
If it has holes in through the case, I suppose it will also work.

As I said before, get a "solid" and big rubber. Cut it with a normal sharp cutter. Make a hole with an long screw driver, but check that it is perpendicular in both, x and y axis. This initial hole will guide the screw when you insert it. At the end, force the head of the screw inside.

The complete process took me 15min max. I did it before leaving to work after my daily morning coffee and I arrived on time :-) I could not stand the flat typing anymore !

Cheers

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2015, 17:49

4704 is such a nice board. I am going to get one after I find an Unsaver. Has anyone else beside 0100010 put a solenoid inside their 4704?

Touch_It

20 Mar 2015, 18:57

Redmaus wrote: 4704 is such a nice board. I am going to get one after I find an Unsaver. Has anyone else beside 0100010 put a solenoid inside their 4704?
Not yet. I bought a solenoid. Now I need to man up and buy a driver board for it from Tom before he runs out of parts to make one.

Edit. I should say none that I know of, but I plan to.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2015, 19:03

Touch_It wrote:
Redmaus wrote: 4704 is such a nice board. I am going to get one after I find an Unsaver. Has anyone else beside 0100010 put a solenoid inside their 4704?
Not yet. I bought a solenoid. Now I need to man up and buy a driver board for it from Tom before he runs out of parts to make one.

I need both. :oops: So I need a driver board and a solenoid? Where could I find these? I don't have a 4704 yet, but when I get one I want to add a solenoid.

Touch_It

20 Mar 2015, 19:12

Redmaus wrote:
Touch_It wrote:

I need both. :oops: So I need a driver board and a solenoid? Where could I find these? I don't have a 4704 yet, but when I get one I want to add a solenoid.
Thread referencing everything xwhatsit replacement controllers.

Seperately you would need to find someone to sell a solenoid by itself or alternatively buy a Model F 3718 donor board. (I bought mine from Cindy for $25 + shipping)

idollar
i$

20 Mar 2015, 19:30

Back to the original topic, before I feel the need to buy a solenoid ...
This is the rubber that I used, for those who may need a reference.
Attachments
IMG_20150320_175539.jpg
IMG_20150320_175539.jpg (564.69 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2015, 21:04

idollar wrote: Back to the original topic, before I feel the need to buy a solenoid ...
This is the rubber that I used, for those who may need a reference.
I feel like that will erase away as I use it...

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Mar 2015, 21:09

I have found that plastic wine corks can be cut to size for a variety of uses like this, and they are very tough.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2015, 21:17

fohat wrote: I have found that plastic wine corks can be cut to size for a variety of uses like this, and they are very tough.
I believe some of the model F XT's have cork dimelike supports by default correct?

Touch_It

20 Mar 2015, 21:22

I bought some stick on rubber bumpers from Menards. 6dollars and some change but included various sizes. I'll try to post pics if I'm not lazy

snoopy

20 Mar 2015, 21:28

And is it really a handicap? I like that the 4704 is so flat.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2015, 21:40

snoopy wrote: And is it really a handicap? I like that the 4704 is so flat.
I have my keyboard slightly raised myself, allows myself to type better in uncomfortable positions. But the sleek flat design of the keyboard is very appealing. :)

idollar
i$

20 Mar 2015, 21:50

snoopy wrote: And is it really a handicap? I like that the 4704 is so flat.
It is about the way that each of us type. In my case they are handicap.

Muirium
µ

20 Mar 2015, 23:19

Love a good, low profile keyboard. Bear in mind the Kishy family has a curved backplate, like all Model Fs, which I find very comfortable even when flat on the desk. But sure, everyone's different.

jacobolus

20 Mar 2015, 23:40

The proper tilt depends on the height of your desk and chair. If you have the keyboard on your lap or on a low desk, then very flat (or even a slight negative tilt) is best. If you have the keyboard on a high desk and use a low chair, then it’s very helpful to tilt the keyboard.

You want to adjust the keyboard such that when your wrists are as straight as possible, it’s easy and comfortable to reach all the keys.

Try to keep the keyboard close to your body so that your upper arms can hang loosely down at your sides (instead of needing to reach forward or out to the side), with your shoulders relaxed, not shrugging upward or forward. If your keyboard is too far out in front of you, that adds a bunch of stress on your upper arms/shoulders/back, encouraging you to rest your palms on the table or a palmrest instead of keeping them straight.

idollar
i$

21 Mar 2015, 00:20

jacobolus wrote: The proper tilt depends on the height of your desk and chair. If you have the keyboard on your lap or on a low desk, then very flat (or even a slight negative tilt) is best. If you have the keyboard on a high desk and use a low chair, then it’s very helpful to tilt the keyboard.

You want to adjust the keyboard such that when your wrists are as straight as possible, it’s easy and comfortable to reach all the keys.

Try to keep the keyboard close to your body so that your upper arms can hang loosely down at your sides (instead of needing to reach forward or out to the side), with your shoulders relaxed, not shrugging upward or forward. If your keyboard is too far out in front of you, that adds a bunch of stress on your upper arms/shoulders/back, encouraging you to rest your palms on the table or a palmrest instead of keeping them straight.
I guess that the latest apply if you type only. In my case, my notebook (paper) between me and the keyboard. You can see the pens in the keyboard in the first picture. This means that the keyboard is far in the table, which is high enough to allow hand-writing and reading.

What I mean is that I use a computer as a tool among others. Paper is good for many purposes. I always need some between me and the computer.

Touch_It

21 Mar 2015, 01:02

Touch_It wrote:I bought some stick on rubber bumpers from Menards. 6dollars and some change but included various sizes. I'll try to post pics if I'm not lazy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426896161.503571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426896161.503571.jpg (231.63 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426896133.632614.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426896133.632614.jpg (161.58 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426896101.918095.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426896101.918095.jpg (202.4 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
Maybe this will help someone

Mal-2

21 Mar 2015, 02:23

Touch_It wrote: I bought some stick on rubber bumpers from Menards.
These are also useful for keeping doorknobs from punching holes in walls (or just rattling the walls), stopping refrigerator door handles from hitting countertops, sticking underneath laptops that have heat problems, and all manner of other things.

jacobolus

21 Mar 2015, 03:32

idollar wrote: I guess that the latest apply if you type only. In my case, my notebook (paper) between me and the keyboard. You can see the pens in the keyboard in the first picture. This means that the keyboard is far in the table, which is high enough to allow hand-writing and reading.
If you are just pressing keyboard shortcuts here and there, and maybe typing an occasional forum post, that’s probably fine. If you plan to do any substantial amount of continuous typing, I recommend against it.

21 Mar 2015, 03:39

jacobolus wrote:
idollar wrote: I guess that the latest apply if you type only. In my case, my notebook (paper) between me and the keyboard. You can see the pens in the keyboard in the first picture. This means that the keyboard is far in the table, which is high enough to allow hand-writing and reading.
If you are just pressing keyboard shortcuts here and there, and maybe typing an occasional forum post, that’s probably fine. If you plan to do any substantial amount of continuous typing, I recommend against it.
100% this, for me anyway. My daily driver keyboard at work is about 2mm from the edge of the desk.

I also have rubber stick on bumpers under my F107 similar to Touch It's.

Return to “Workshop”