9%
IBM 107 FMK
26%
Hulk
No votes

Total votes: 23

Nuum

28 Mar 2015, 09:25

Aren't 30 placeholder post a bit extreme?
Could you please put the images in spoiler so the page doesn't load forever with 30 post of pics?
If you are so dedicated to show your restoration process and conclusions (which I like) how about posting it to the wiki instead of the forum?
Last edited by Nuum on 28 Mar 2015, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

28 Mar 2015, 10:45

I like how detailed i$'s photo posts are, and I think they'd be lost in the wiki.
But I'd have to agree with you Nuum on the spoiler thing! I hate to have to "hunt" the page while it loads!
BTW the link
idollar wrote: [*] 1.- Sticker
should point to http://deskthority.net/post220159.html#p220159, as it is it points to your profile!

Nuum

28 Mar 2015, 11:15

You could make a thread with just a few selected photos and point to wiki for more details.
I think that the wiki should be the place to collect information about keyboards, instead of the knowledge being scattered on the forum, where you can't really search for it. And yes, I myself still have to post a few things to the wiki that are currently only on the forum.

snoopy

28 Mar 2015, 12:27

looking forward to more pics and progress

idollar
i$

28 Mar 2015, 15:47

Nuum wrote: Aren't 30 placeholder post a bit extreme?
Who knows ... I prefer to keep all them together.
Could you please put the images in spoiler so the page doesn't load forever with 30 post of pics?
will do
If you are so dedicated to show your restoration process and conclusions (which I like) how about posting it to the wiki instead of the forum?
I have never posted in the wiki. We have the same question last time.
If someone tells me how and where, I will. :-)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Mar 2015, 17:16

Nuum wrote:Aren't 30 placeholder post a bit extreme?
No for idollar 30 placeholders are just right! I'm convinced he will use them all well.8-)

idollar
i$

28 Mar 2015, 17:30

seebart wrote:
Nuum wrote:Aren't 30 placeholder post a bit extreme?
No for idollar 30 placeholders are just right! I'm convinced he will use them all well.8-)
Thanks Seebart. I will do my best

i$

snoopy

28 Mar 2015, 18:16

seebart

28 Mar 2015, 18:18

Aww come on snoopy, give it time. No need to get grumpy like a super trooper! :D

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 10:08

snoopy wrote: Image
29, Snoopy, 29 :-) I have added some progress to the series :mrgreen:

snoopy

29 Mar 2015, 10:17

If you dont have success with the "Abbeizer", put it while it is covered on the heating. That really helps a lot.

And if this also doesnt help, take a wirebrush and scratch the original paint a bit with it, so the paint remover can get better under/into the paint.

If you do it right, the paint should fall of in big pieces.

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 10:23

snoopy wrote: If you dont have success with the "Abbeizer", put it while it is covered on the heating. That really helps a lot.

And if this also doesnt help, take a wirebrush and scratch the original paint a bit with it, so the paint remover can get better under/into the paint.

If you do it right, the paint should fall of in big pieces.
Thanks snoopy,

Impacient as I am, I just tested how a corner is going. The paint will eventually disolve. I cannot take the piece inside. The smell is impressive, so the heat is not an option :-(

Lets be patient, as said, It will eventually disolve. If not, the sand paper is our best friend ;)

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 10:48

idollar wrote: Lets be patient, as said, It will eventually disolve. If not, the sand paper is our best friend ;)
The metal is now visible in some areas. Applied Molto again.
It is raining :-(

snoopy

29 Mar 2015, 11:18

Yeah, the smell is really impressive. Lol. But heat really helps. Maybe heat up your bathroom, put in on the heating for half an hour and when its done open the window. Just dont do it in the living room like I did. Lol

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 13:17

updated section 2 with a clean top part of the case.
I still need to sand it

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 13:38

Great work keep it up. That metal case is awesome. I would not paint it either!

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 13:43

seebart wrote: Great work keep it up. That metal case is awesome. I would not paint it either!
The problem with the sanding are the vertical edges. The sand paper scratches the metal. All parts shall be sanded in the same direction !

I am thinking that I could leave it unpainted. Does anyone have any experience ? Will it change color with time ?

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 13:49

The only sanding I have done was the plate and barrel of my 3104. But on a case I would be more careful.

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 14:26

Here how it progresses.
The right hand vertical border is not sanded at all. I took this image to show the difference.
The light was not even ... this is why the keyboard seems to have two colors.

I have to decide if I want to make it mat with very fine stainless steel wool.
DSC_9710.jpg
DSC_9710.jpg (335.18 KiB) Viewed 4513 times

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 14:28

Ahh that metal case is great. Be careful with that steel wool.

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 15:19

seebart wrote: Ahh that metal case is great. Be careful with that steel wool.
I decided to go the oposite way - Polishing
DSC_9712.jpg
DSC_9712.jpg (323.85 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
DSC_9711.jpg
DSC_9711.jpg (314.43 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
I will update the reference post now ... done

snoopy

29 Mar 2015, 16:13

which sandingpaper did you use?

can you post some close-ups?

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 16:17

Blanco! :D

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 17:27

snoopy wrote: which sandingpaper did you use?
Yes, I can :-)
Any fine grain (start with 400 then move to 600 and finally the blanco) will do. I bought this in Spain for 0,69 eur
Spoiler:
DSC_9720.jpg
DSC_9720.jpg (982.73 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
DSC_9721.jpg
DSC_9721.jpg (957.99 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
DSC_9722.jpg
DSC_9722.jpg (914.59 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Last edited by idollar on 29 Mar 2015, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 17:48

snoopy wrote: can you post some close-ups?
Here

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Mar 2015, 18:03

Oh god... Now I NEED one of these boards... I was going to do this with gray keys and I didn't know it would look so good with polish. I love that shine. Looking forward to the rest of the pics i$!

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 18:07

Redmaus wrote: Oh god... Now I NEED one of these boards... I was going to do this with gray keys and I didn't know it would look so good with polish. I love that shine. Looking forward to the rest of the pics i$!
I even have the paint at home, but when I saw this metal, I could not cover it again. :roll:

pyrelink

29 Mar 2015, 18:43

That is beautiful idollar. This is the step I am still at with my 107. I have all the layout in order, XWhatsit installed, and foam and all that, but the trickiest part is trying to remove the paint. My goal is the same, to strip the paint and polish the metal, but for some reason I have not been successful in removing the paint. I have tried 2 chemical paint strippers to no avail. While the products are going to be a good bit different as I am in the states, and you are in France, do you happen to know the "type" of paint stripper that you used? As in the kind of chemical?

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 18:47

pyrelink wrote: That is beautiful idollar.
Thanks
... I am in the states, and you are in France,
I am in Germany :-)
do you happen to know the "type" of paint stripper that you used? As in the kind of chemical?
Check the first picture on THIS. I made a picture to the paint removal product. snoopy recommended it.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Mar 2015, 19:17

idollar wrote:
Redmaus wrote: Oh god... Now I NEED one of these boards... I was going to do this with gray keys and I didn't know it would look so good with polish. I love that shine. Looking forward to the rest of the pics i$!
I even have the paint at home, but when I saw this metal, I could not cover it again. :roll:
Yeah... What caps are you thinking of using with it? :P

Return to “Workshop”