I was thinking of these but I am not sure

snoopy

29 Mar 2015, 20:09

go blank :D

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 20:24

snoopy wrote: go blank :D
This is my other option. I have already ordered them.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Mar 2015, 20:47

I think it would be a good idea to dye the keys a light silver maybe. Not the dull Unicomp grey but a more of a cross between the brilliant white and the gray.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Mar 2015, 20:48

Yes blank would look great with all that metal. But why compromise when you can do both?

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 20:52

Redmaus wrote: I think it would be a good idea to dye the keys a light silver maybe. Not the dull Unicomp grey but a more of a cross between the brilliant white and the gray.
I have no experience with dye. I have to think about it.
Lets see those blanks when they arrive. It will take time. They were shipped to the States.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Mar 2015, 21:31

idollar wrote:
Redmaus wrote: I think it would be a good idea to dye the keys a light silver maybe. Not the dull Unicomp grey but a more of a cross between the brilliant white and the gray.
I have no experience with dye. I have to think about it.
Lets see those blanks when they arrive. It will take time. They were shipped to the States.
How does the metal feel when bare stripped? Does it feel cool to the touch? Is it smooth with the polish? Might seem like a very specific and picky question, but I am very curious. :geek:

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 22:37

Redmaus wrote: How does the metal feel when bare stripped?
Does it feel cool to the touch?
It does not feel cold to me. Actually, I did not think at all that this could be a problem.
But I have not typed with it. I can swap the cases with my office 107 and give it a try tomorrow during the day.
Is it smooth with the polish?
It is very smooth. :mrgreen:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Mar 2015, 23:35

I actually wanted it to be cool to the touch, would give it a true metal feel. I can only dream of the metallic smoothness I am missing out on.

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 23:49

Redmaus wrote: I actually wanted it to be cool to the touch, would give it a true metal feel. I can only dream of the metallic smoothness I am missing out on.
Well, I am typing with the keyboard this post. I have swapped the inner parts.
It feels cold the very first seconds. It is metal, indeed. Then, I have not noticed any more the frame.
I will test it for a longer time tomorrow and report. But the answer will be subjective.

idollar
i$

29 Mar 2015, 23:53

One important remark, if the frame is not perfect after the polishing it will be very obvious. The reflections will make it very obvious. I would not recommend to do this sanding and polishing with a damaged case.

In a completely different subject: I had to reduced 10 points that current threshold in the controller. Some keys were not registering with the new case (N, for instance)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

30 Mar 2015, 00:16

idollar wrote: One important remark, if the frame is not perfect after the polishing it will be very obvious. The reflections will make it very obvious. I would not recommend to do this sanding and polishing with a damaged case.

In a completely different subject: I had to reduced 10 points that current threshold in the controller. Some keys were not registering with the new case (N, for instance)
So no sanding at all? How to remove the paint then? :?

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 00:24

Redmaus wrote:
idollar wrote: One important remark, if the frame is not perfect after the polishing it will be very obvious. The reflections will make it very obvious. I would not recommend to do this sanding and polishing with a damaged case.

So no sanding at all? How to remove the paint then? :?
I guess that I did not express myself correctly. I meant that if the metal if polished and visible (no paint is applied), any imperfection will be obvious. If the case is damaged it will not look nice. The paint will remove the reflections and therefore, the imperfections are less visible.

BTW: there i no need to sand to get the paint out. The chemicals will remove all the paint if applied at a reasonable temperature (20/30 deg Celsius)

wheybags

30 Mar 2015, 00:44

related, but anyone got any recommendations on what paint to use to colour / texture match a beamspring (looks like these 4704 boards have the same paint basically)

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 00:50

Podwer-coating seems to be the ultimate solution. snoopy recommended it to me.
It will be more expensive. He can add more information on this one. I have never done it nor ordered it.
I have found this link in my research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01zIKxP0Ms (first answer in google :-))

Regarding the colour: select the one that you like the most at the metal workshop.

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 11:25

Reflections:
IMG_20150330_111950.jpg
IMG_20150330_111950.jpg (681.04 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
(telephone picture sorry)

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 11:26

Overview
IMG_20150330_112121.jpg
IMG_20150330_112121.jpg (425.53 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
I could not live with the little bar on top of the keyboard to hold my pens :-)

(telephone picture sorry)

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 11:57

For comparison:

andrewjoy

30 Mar 2015, 12:16

idollar wrote:
Who wants to bet thats exactly what they are there for ?

seebart

30 Mar 2015, 12:48

andrewjoy wrote:
idollar wrote:
no need to bet on that andrew! You don't see those on keyboards today anymore. ;)

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 12:55

seebart wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:
idollar wrote:
no need to bet on that andrew! You don't see those on keyboards today anymore. ;)
Which is a big mistake, Seebart.
I have not send officially my bet as you already have my answer.

snoopy

30 Mar 2015, 14:46

what do your collegues say about your polished keyboard?

Isn't a Model F too noisy for work? my collegues would kill me, if I would bring my Kishsaver to work....

seebart

30 Mar 2015, 14:51

Good question. I bet idollar has his own office. Boss.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

30 Mar 2015, 14:58

I bet he's like: ¿Que? ¡No te entiendo, este teclado es muy ruidoso!

snoopy

30 Mar 2015, 15:22

'What you say? I can't hear yoooouuuu, my keyboards so loooouuud!' :lol:

seebart

30 Mar 2015, 15:26

snoopy wrote: 'What you say? I can't hear yoooouuuu, my keyboards so loooouuud!' :lol:
yeah really guk!?! WTF? Speak ANSI please. :mrgreen:

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 16:06

snoopy wrote: what do your collegues say about your polished keyboard?

Isn't a Model F too noisy for work? my collegues would kill me, if I would bring my Kishsaver to work....
My colleagues only enter MY office when I let them in :-) It is at the edge of a corridor. Only one colleague near by and the printer.

They keep commenting that each week they see a different keyboard which is increasing in noise. Then I turned on the bipping on the F to show them that it was the non-noisy mode. ;)

The real problem is when I am in a teleconference. They have already commented that they could crack the frequency of the keys to know what am I typing. Thanks good modern telephones have a mute button.

They also said that they like my keyboards, but you know, perhaps I am a boss and they only want to keep me happy. :mrgreen:

Sorry ... I need to get in my next teleconference ... :?

idollar
i$

30 Mar 2015, 23:36

A question to the community ....

I painted yesterday the barrels plate in black after some sanding (pictures to be posted still). The black paint that I use is treated to avoid corrosion also. I am thinking on painting RED on top. What do you think ?

Imagine the board shinny with black keys and red under ... will it be too extreme ?

I know nothing about matching colours. Sometimes I wish I would be color-blind to have an excuse. Unfortunately (fortunately) I see all colors that seem to match perfectly in whatever combination to my brain. I need some help and my wife left today during the rest of the weel ;)

scottc

30 Mar 2015, 23:37

I would opt to be more cautious and keep the plate its original black colour. Red and black is a bit too "ricer" for me.

LLRnR
\m/

30 Mar 2015, 23:44

idollar wrote: Imagine the board shinny with black keys and red under ... will it be too extreme ?
It really depends on what you like. The red-on-black combo is oftentimes associated with gamer hardware or anything extreme involving wheels, while light green-on-black is considered hack-ish. They are both eye-catching and somewhat aggressive combos, but the eye-catching combo I prefer the most is orange-on-black (legible, too, if we're talking about text). This is my PC tower, for instance. I find orange-on-gray to be as interesting, but less obtrusive. So, you see, it's completely up to your taste in colors :)

Return to “Workshop”