Keyboards in movies/TV series!

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Feb 2015, 23:55

Muirium
µ

12 Feb 2015, 23:57

@Mr_A500: Quite what ever led you to a Retina MacBook Pro in the first place, I don't know. Says the other guy with one, who likes most of things about it you don't! Wherever did they put the VHS slot?

I'm with you on the 5K iMac though. (I think it was you who said he'd have gone for one of those instead, if both retina Macs came out at the same time.) The iMac would be a more graceful match for all my keyboards.

mr_a500

13 Feb 2015, 03:27

Well, actually I've always hated optical drives, so I'm not so upset that the new Macbook Pro doesn't have one. But at the price they sell it for, they should have included an external superdrive for free. I was more upset that the OWC "universal drive adapter" was so stupidly designed so that it is impossible to connect a DVD drive.

A VHS slot sure would be convenient.

andrewjoy

13 Feb 2015, 10:54

I fail to see whats so "pro"about a unupgradeable laptop

its just a big macbook air with a nice screen

mr_a500

13 Feb 2015, 12:45

Wow, what a crap transfer - bad aspect ratio, slowed down speed, and the biggest, most annoying banner I've ever seen. However, it allowed me to take some screenshots.

Here's the lovely keyboard in question - nice spherical doubleshots in blue, black, red and white:
1.jpg
2.jpg
Strangely, the closeup shows a completely different keyboard:
3.jpg
David Banner makes the classic mistake of doing drugs while at the computer:
4.jpg
...and then this happens:
5.jpg
6.jpg
"What are you doing with that panel of blinky lights! Oh no! Don't throw that!!"
8.jpg
Lovely keycaps go flying as the keyboard is smashed. Oh the tragedy.
9.jpg

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Feb 2015, 13:17

yeah Lou Ferrigno busted that one up good!

mr_a500

13 Feb 2015, 13:19

I thought I already posted this here, but it looks like I forgot... some computer/keyboard clips from Alien in 1080p. Watch it full screen.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2015, 02:27

*** HULK OUT ***

Which episode of the Incredible Hulk was it? This is an interesting series. Loved it as a child, but now it's obviously cheesy and cheap, and didn't survive the passage of time well. But still it's much more interesting than the cartoon character and the movies which never interested me. Beardsmore will hate me for this, but it's because of its premise. The cartoon is nothing more than a monster of great power. But the 80ties tv series is another Frankenstein clone, one where Frankenstein and the creature are one person. On one level - Hulk is created. Hulk runs from men and inevitable death (which cannot happen because of marketing), after being wrongfully accused of murder. Sounds familiar? But Frankenstein is really about human nature, and that is why it connects even if you didn't consciously think about it. It's about solitude, unfairness, refuge, why we are here, your place in the universe, a fundamental fear of not being accepted for what you are, etc. And for the same reason we feel for the Frankenstein monster, we feel for Banner, and want him to succeed in his quest. It's an archetypal story. It's still cheap crap of course (even as a child I used to laugh about the predictability of the number of hulk outs - always the same) but Bill Bixby and Joe Harnell (music) recognized what made the premise strong and delivered. You know, Banner walking along the road into the distance, looking for a ride out of here, the Lonely Man playing. The Marvel variant has nothing of that.
Spoiler:

mr_a500

14 Feb 2015, 04:00

It's season 2, episode 20:
Yeah, unfortunately most of the Incredible Hulk is simplistic crap. Amongst the crap are some great bits though. My favourite episodes are the ones that don't follow the usual pattern. I like the original pilot, the Earthquake episode, The Psychic (which is sadly prophetic about his real life wife committing suicide)... and a few others.

Grond

05 Mar 2015, 21:32

Automata (2014), a spanish sci-fi flick.

Don't shoot my pile of old keyboards!

E TwentyNine

05 Mar 2015, 23:29

Not sure if that rust brown typewriter on the bottom right is a selectric or not...

But oh god what a horrible movie. So much potential for a good story and it just never gets there.

Grond

06 Mar 2015, 12:55

Pretty bad indeed. The plot is quite random, and some scenes are just embarassing. Some of the visuals are pretty good, although they're mostly derivative from Blade Runner. Anyway, here are some more pics from the movie:

Grond

07 Mar 2015, 20:32

The Blues Brothers (1980)

E TwentyNine

08 Mar 2015, 15:27

The Blue Brothers' SCMODS terminal is a Motorola Data Terminal D-1118:

Link

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2015, 15:28

No down arrow? What in the…

Grond

13 Mar 2015, 10:08

John Carpenter's "In the mouth of Madness" (1994).

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Mar 2015, 22:25

Kinesis Evolution at 0:16.

mr_a500

25 Mar 2015, 13:45

Oh... "this cloud turns data into excitement". Now it all makes sense to me.

What a load of fucking nonsense. I hate all this "cloud" stuff. What they mean is their servers. "Put all your data on our servers so that we own it and profit from it."

eldorange

26 Mar 2015, 05:34

Just curious...

Does anybody know the computer keyboard in 2001 Space Odyssey movie (Jupiter Mission)?

Hak Foo

26 Mar 2015, 06:33

On that "Automata" picture set, the device printing stuff out looks like they cobbled it together with a PET 2001 keyboard... although the other bank of keys looks a little wider, and a real 2001, I think, is 1u keycaps almost everywhere.

Touch_It

29 Mar 2015, 06:13

Can't find pics yet but a ibm terminal system with what appears to be a ibm xt f keyboard is featured in the movie Get Hard. Pointed it out to my wife and she shook her head, lol.

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2015, 17:59

mr_a500 wrote: Oh... "this cloud turns data into excitement". Now it all makes sense to me.

What a load of fucking nonsense. I hate all this "cloud" stuff. What they mean is their servers. "Put all your data on our servers so that we own it and profit from it."
Yet to see any of my data put to misuse use by Dropbox or Apple. And I'm yet to pay them a dime for their services. But that foil hat looks good on you.

Halvar

29 Mar 2015, 21:39

Seems like you're not a young hot female Hollywood celebrity. They already learned the hard way that Apple isn't able to protect private data.

Findecanor

29 Mar 2015, 23:25

eldorange wrote: Does anybody know the computer keyboard in 2001 Space Odyssey movie (Jupiter Mission)?
Where in the movie? I have never been able to spot a keyboard. Backlit buttons and simulated touch screens everywhere though.

I think they made mostly new sets and props for 2010. SAL 9000 did have a keyboard:
sal9000.jpg
sal9000.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 6660 times
Edit: HAL 9000 had a keyboard in the Logic Memory Center in 2010:
2010k.jpg
2010k.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
Last edited by Findecanor on 29 Mar 2015, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

29 Mar 2015, 23:28

Findecanor wrote: I think they made mostly new sets and props for that movie.
I have read that Kubrick had all of the original props destroyed to stop a sequel from being made.

eldorange

30 Mar 2015, 13:58

scottc wrote:
Findecanor wrote: I think they made mostly new sets and props for that movie.
I have read that Kubrick had all of the original props destroyed to stop a sequel from being made.
Good for Kubrick...

I hate to see HAL resurrects and kills again...

Hak Foo

30 Mar 2015, 17:32

And his resurrection powered by DT and GH members. "Yes, he's homicidal, but look at that layout, and have you seen how smooth the switches are now that they're lubricated by the blood of the first twenty characters he killed?!"

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Mar 2015, 17:36

Good he destroyed the props, or Christopher Nolan might have gotten his hands on it, and the last hour of Interstellar would have been even more insufferable.

eldorange

30 Mar 2015, 18:43

Hak Foo wrote: And his resurrection powered by DT and GH members. "Yes, he's homicidal, but look at that layout, and have you seen how smooth the switches are now that they're lubricated by the blood of the first twenty characters he killed?!"

I don't mind HAL resurrected as long as he's not into killing spree...

By the way, is HAL the first computer criminal in the movies?
Last edited by eldorange on 30 Mar 2015, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

30 Mar 2015, 18:55

BTW, a replica of a HAL 9000 panel is on my to-do list. I have already acquired a plastic dome to use instead of a Fish-eye-NIKKOR 1:8 f=8mm lens.

Return to “Gallery”