Skidata model SKIDATA-SE1

copter
Last Man Standing

21 Jan 2015, 14:24

Here's maybe a keyboard that has not been seen here before? It's a Finnish / Swedish variant of Skidata keyboard manufactured by Tipro. Instead of having those loved dark keycaps it has white keycaps. This one is originally from one of the facilities where Skidata system has been in use for a long time. I didn't yet look under keycaps but it feels that it has the same MX Clears. Also it seems that the right side "extra key" part is detachable, just bottom plate needs to be changed then as well.

Needs cleaning for sure. I'll be posting some more pictures later. Meanwhile here's the product description: http://korvenmaa.net/skidata/ControlKey ... n-fact.pdf

It states that there are known variants: CH, DE, ES, FR, IT, JP, NL, NO, SE, SK, UK, US, BiH, BG, HR, CZ, H, PL, RO, SLO. Also as described, keyboard is very heavy (2.5kg).

I also have second keyboard reserved from the same place I got this one, which I should be getting as soon as my contact pulls it from their storage (been there for a long time). That one is with dark keycaps and based on the description given to me it should be same as one pictured in http://deskthority.net/wiki/SkiData, but just with Finnish / Swedish keycaps and probably without the trackball.

chzel

21 Jan 2015, 15:29

It appears to be almost standard Tipro, at least the relegendables and mods scream "TIPROOOOOO!!!!". My guess would be that it has Blacks not Clears, so report back when you pull a cap! It has a nice color...

beltet

21 Jan 2015, 15:36

Oooooh... I envy you, would love those!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Jan 2015, 16:03

As a matter of fact absolutely standard Tipro, except for the case colour (and perhaps the switches - please report).

Halvar

21 Jan 2015, 16:17

Interesting... Can you see on the sticker when it was made? 2003?

(The Tipro force is weak with the wiki...)

copter
Last Man Standing

21 Jan 2015, 16:32

I'll check when I get back home. In couple hours I think. There's couple clear keycap covers missing and also another Windows key, that has been replaced with keycap without cover. I guess I need to be hunting those if I want to restore this properly.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Jan 2015, 16:38

Halvar wrote: Interesting... Can you see on the sticker when it was made? 2003?
2003, yes (the first four digits of the SN give it away).
(The Tipro force is weak with the wiki...)
:oops:
copter wrote: I'll check when I get back home. In couple hours I think. There's couple clear keycap covers missing and also another Windows key, that has been replaced with keycap without cover. I guess I need to be hunting those if I want to restore this properly.
I might be able to help.
First time I see original Tipro Nordic caps, by the way.
Be careful when cleaning the tops, they are pad printed.

copter
Last Man Standing

21 Jan 2015, 17:37

MX Black switches as people here already suggested. Dirt is also coming nicely off from the caps and no signs of any wear on the prints. I think I will clean and reassemble this whole thing, so I'll put new pictures during that process.

copter
Last Man Standing

21 Jan 2015, 20:35

Here's some pictures with notes after a quick cleanup. It doesn't seem to be completely standard Tipro, as PCB has at least been labeled with Skidata markings. Or maybe someone knows better, if this has been their method to always make custom PCB per customer.

Removed the bottom plate + stabilizers + removable plastic parts

Stabilizers

Other hardware

Without keycaps from side

Without keycaps from top

2 x PCB, it seems that somebody has been here before when looking at the markings. Also it seems that there has been some liquid at some point when looking at some soldering points.

Numpad PCB markings

Main PCB markings

Main PCB markings #2

Repair work?

Cables connecting the matrix between PCBs

Controller

PS/2 connector

Logo + switches

From side without bottom plate

Keycaps in cleaning ;)

As the construction is modular, I'm thinking about removing the numpad matrix and making a nice "compact" layout with arrows keys into the main module. Just need to first put this together and test with PS/2 does all work like it should and then remove the numpad + equip converter and make mappings per new layout. This gives really nicely possibilities to configure layout to my own liking.

7bit

21 Jan 2015, 21:11

This is indeed a special version for SKI Data, those extra cables and the bir flat cables give it away.
:-)

Nice find!!!
:ugeek:

PS: Be careful with the case!
:?

It is only painted, so if you rub too much (especially with alcohol) the color comes off!
:shock: :cry: :o :?

Daniel

21 Jan 2015, 23:03

Really nice find!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Jan 2015, 23:12

hmm now I know where kbdfr has his avatar from. :D

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2015, 00:30

It's a grumpy chocolate bar!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Jan 2015, 12:43

Well, this Skidata keyboard is not plain standard, and at least it seems to be an older model:
- the controller is integrated in the PCB instead of having an extra PCB and
- the two units composing it cannot be separated without desoldering.

For a better understanding of what I mean have a look at the pics and explanation in the spoiler of the following post:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/tip ... ml#p163214

Plus this is the first Tipro I see with a single switch (and stabilizers!) for Enter and Backspace on the staggered module and for Enter, + and 0 on the additional matrix module. They normally all have two switches (in the case of the "main" Enter key, the right one has no spring and acts as a stabilizer, so pressing Enter requires just normal activation force).

I can provide you with: the missing clear tops (how many do you need?), the missing left Windows key (and perhaps the one next to it, do you know what was printed on it?), and one of these sets of pre-printed tops.

Imagekbdfr, aka the Tiproman :lol:

copter
Last Man Standing

22 Jan 2015, 19:08

Thanks from the info kbdfr. Also information on that another thread might explain why I wasn't able to program this keyboard with ChangeMe (I had 64-bit system when I tried). Sure it's also possible that this keyboard is somehow incompatible, but actually I did found some old Skidata documentation that refers to ChangeMe, so it just might be that I can use it with this keyboard too.

I cleaned the keyboard + keycaps, came out pretty nice. Just took a long while with the keycaps as there are 128+64 keys and large part of the keys are in 2 parts, so there was ~ 300 parts to clean.

I'll PM you about the clear tops and other buttons.

Mal-2

02 Feb 2015, 23:18

If you want to try it out without buying a new bottom plate, while still getting the extra section out of the way, move the extra section to the left. Then you should be able to use all the parts that are already there.

copter
Last Man Standing

02 Feb 2015, 23:35

That's a nice idea and might suit into my needs quite well, as I prefer to have mouse closer to center. Needs longer flat cable and a bit soldering, but should be pretty easy to do if I want to go modifying this one.

Situation currently with this keyboard is that I cleaned it, put it into nice clean shape and put some lubrication into switches. I got some keycaps from kbdfr which should be arriving any day now, so as soon as I got those, then I will probably put this into "final" shape and take some pictures + post here.

gianni

09 Apr 2015, 23:11

How much does a new skidata cost? Without the "numpad"

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Apr 2015, 07:47

The keyboard described here is is not a "Skidata" keyboard in the usual sense,
but "just" a Tipro keyboard (MID model).

Touch_It

10 Apr 2015, 16:42

I found one for sale somewhere, thinking about picking it up. What would be a good price?

Return to “Gallery”