Plastic polish for IBM model M

ShivaYash

22 Apr 2015, 17:57

Hello chaps,

Any tips on what type of plastic polish, if any, to use on my SSK?

Its in fine condition, battle scars which I think add patina. I am not looking to remove these in total, I just want to remove some blemishes, a clean up more than anything else.

Ta.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Apr 2015, 18:08

I haven't thought about this really. I just clean my keyboards with plenty of soap and hot water

Mal-2

22 Apr 2015, 18:52

ShivaYash wrote: Hello chaps,

Any tips on what type of plastic polish, if any, to use on my SSK?

Its in fine condition, battle scars which I think add patina. I am not looking to remove these in total, I just want to remove some blemishes, a clean up more than anything else.

Ta.
I am reminded of a time I was playing someone's guitar, and picked a rather large dustbunny off the bridge. He was like, "Hey, don't do that, it's mileage!". I pointed at the scratches on the pick guard and said "That is mileage. This is a dustbunny. There's a difference."

Findecanor

22 Apr 2015, 19:05

Special polishing compounds for plastics are often light super-fine abrasive. You don't want that on textured plastic. I clean my keyboard cases with household cleaning liquids: most often dishwashing liquid and water.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

22 Apr 2015, 19:38

Cindy recommends using a product called "Spot Shot". According to the MSDS one of the main active ingredients is 2-Butoxyethanol. You might consider Simple Green as it also has this active ingredient.

Note that the SSK, like nearly all Model M keyboards, has a cast PVC case.

Return to “Workshop”