IBM model F AT, nordic layout, golden logo

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

24 Apr 2015, 20:13

Just received this from a redditor. 8-)

When opening the package, I directly noticed that the logo was golden and not just silver. Is that something anyone already seen?

Last edited by ramnes on 06 May 2015, 08:39, edited 2 times in total.

elecplus

24 Apr 2015, 20:47

Yes, I sent an AT last year that had gold badge.
Also one that had very thick cable with heavy duty RF coil on it.

snoopy

25 Apr 2015, 00:10

F AT was my first Model F keyboard. Good memories.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 03:17

Man I really need an AT or XT...

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2015, 06:19

Some DT header potential here…

Anyone know what a gold IBM label was supposed to mean? I hope they weren't all like that originally and my silvers are just tarnished!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 06:21

Muirium wrote: Some DT header potential here…

Anyone know what a gold IBM label was supposed to mean? I hope they weren't all like that originally and my silvers are just tarnished!
Maybe the silver is actually platinum... :shock:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 06:22

Also I love that shiny black cable...

hnnngggg

Madhias
BS TORPE

25 Apr 2015, 06:58

Mmmhh, wood and a classy IBM keyboard! Always a good combination. Nice pictures, the golden Logo is indeed interesting. Mine has a silver one, and an ugly cable.

idollar
i$

25 Apr 2015, 12:48

Could it be that the logo some some plastic covering it ?

It happened with my XT. Under the "transparent plastic" I found the normal silver logo.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Apr 2015, 13:24

idollar wrote: Could it be that the logo some some plastic covering it ?

It happened with my XT. Under the "transparent plastic" I found the normal silver logo.
Seems like we have a winner here. :)

I'm not going to remove it, though. :D

idollar
i$

25 Apr 2015, 13:40

I am sorry to read your post :?
I would have preferred to be wrong !

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Apr 2015, 13:41

Very nice ramnes. The badge on my XT still has the plastic covering it but it's silver through that little hole...Image

idollar
i$

25 Apr 2015, 13:54

There are two types of people on this planet: the ones that take all the plastic cover as soon as they open the case (I do) and the ones that I cannot understand how they can resist :-)

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Apr 2015, 14:23

Yeah, I'm more like one of those who remove all the plastic they can find, but hey, not this time. :lol:

seebart

25 Apr 2015, 14:30

On new stuff I usually remove all the plastic too.

pyrelink

25 Apr 2015, 15:21

I know people who leave all the plastic on their devices and it irks me. The most satisfying thing is when you find that plastic film on something years after you bought it, and you get to tear it off again. I was moving my monitor around and found I left an entire piece on the base. Boy was that a quickly fleeting feeling of satisfaction...

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 15:56

idollar wrote: There are two types of people on this planet: the ones that take all the plastic cover as soon as they open the case (I do) and the ones that I cannot understand how they can resist :-)
Likewise ;)

beltet

25 Apr 2015, 20:13

I have one of these myself aswell. But not as in such good condition. Is your space little bit stiffer aswell?

Ander

25 Apr 2015, 23:43

Some people leave the clear plastic covers on their furniture, too. (Well, they used to—maybe that was just back in the '60s/'70s, when furniture had covers.) Take it off and enjoy the gleam, I say!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Apr 2015, 01:19

beltet wrote: Is your space little bit stiffer aswell?
Little? It's fucking killing me because of the stiffness! :x

JBert

26 Apr 2015, 15:34

ramnes wrote:
Model F's seem to have had a stiff spacebar when fresh out of the box. I wrote some tips on lightening the feel in my disassembly tutorial: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/mode ... t6982.html. It does need a full disassembly though!

seebart

26 Apr 2015, 15:38

beltet wrote:I have one of these myself aswell. But not as in such good condition. Is your space little bit stiffer aswell?
So you're saying the buckling springs feel different on the gold badge version?

JBert

27 Apr 2015, 13:14

seebart wrote:
beltet wrote:I have one of these myself aswell. But not as in such good condition. Is your space little bit stiffer aswell?
Again, the model F space bar is always stiffer than the regular keys (there's an extra spring in it).

I wouldn't expect this keyboard to have such a difference compared to another model F though, after all it's not a "gold badge" but a "yellowed-protective-cover silver badge".

beltet

28 Apr 2015, 10:17

JBert wrote:
ramnes wrote:
Model F's seem to have had a stiff spacebar when fresh out of the box. I wrote some tips on lightening the feel in my disassembly tutorial: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/mode ... t6982.html. It does need a full disassembly though!
Thanks. Didn't know that. I only have owned a single model F and was curios if there was something wrong with mine.
seebart wrote:
Nope. Was wondering about model F's in general. But becasue OP had the same board as me I asked if there was same thing as on mine.

seebart

28 Apr 2015, 13:03

beltet wrote: Nope. Was wondering about model F's in general. But becasue OP had the same board as me I asked if there was same thing as on mine.
that`s what I thought. Thanks.

Chyros

02 May 2015, 13:24

Damn. That is one sexy keyboard. I hope I get lucky with one at the recyclers' soon :D .

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

06 May 2015, 01:11

Just realizing that this is not the Nordic layout, but just a standard Deutsche QWERTZ. :lol:

macmakkara

06 May 2015, 06:48

Nope i believe that thats Nordic layout cause Å key where Ü should be... Also me and copter got pretty much same keyboard both from Fin http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/finni ... t9777.html

Khers

06 May 2015, 08:34

Yup, it's definitely a nordic (swe/fin) layout! I think Beltet has one just like it as well

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

06 May 2015, 08:37

Ah, looks like I posted that a bit too late. But isn't the nordic layout supposed to be like this?

Edit: Oh, this is Norway vs. Swe/Fin. Got it. :)

Return to “Gallery”