Acer KB-101A (Alps SKCM Blue)

Chyros

25 Apr 2015, 15:24

Got this beauty from DT in exchange for my G80-3000, which turned out to be extremely popular - I got lots of offers for it as soon as I posted my review on that one ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6t85Vb4gck ). I'm extremely happy with it - thanks again Ramnes! :D

Although it looked very good in pictures, it turned out to be 100% unused when I got it. Considering these boards are rare and generally extremely expensive even when in really shitty condition, I still can't believe how lucky I got with this. The switches feel amazing and sound great, too. Much as I love SKCM Whites, these are noticeably better. They feel like SKCM Whites, but with the delicate feel of Monterey Blues, and they're smoother than either. The sound is also fantastic.

Furthermore, the board is very well built. Tough and sturdy, like most old Alps boards. Comes with coiled (but short) cable, five-port cable gutter, 5-pin DIN connector, and an unusual XT/AT switch. It's lovely to type or game on, or even just listen to. Without a doubt, this is the best keyboard I've ever used.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Apr 2015, 15:26

Finally!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Apr 2015, 15:28

Very nice board Chyros. Blue Alps can really only be appreciated when they have had little usage like yours. I'm sort of torn between Monterey's and blue Alps, not sure which I prefer. Congratulations on this beautiful keyboard of yours!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Apr 2015, 15:37

Just a small remark: as far as I know, ABS key caps can't be dye sublimated. The caps are either pad printed ABS or dye sublimated PBT. I guess those ones are pad printed. ;)

Chyros

25 Apr 2015, 16:46

Uhh I think they can be; the Acer 6312 (of which I had three xD) also does :) . It's definitely not lasered, double-shot or pad-printed, at least.

tactica

27 May 2015, 00:00

That keyboard is virtually the same as the Fujitsu FSK-102M I have here, but the Fujitsu comes with Acer switches. Gotta wikify it at some point...

And yes, Alps SKCM blue are amazing :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 May 2015, 04:54

Wow, an ANSI layout board with Alps SKCM Blues. Very nice.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 May 2015, 05:20

I knew this keyboard was familiar! I have a very similar one with TI branding and Alps SKCM White switches (that need a bath). The really deep dished F and J make it hard for me to type on them. It feels like the index finger has to jump extra high over the edges of the key. I will probably replace my F and J keys.

Again, get a tripod!

Chyros

27 May 2015, 10:17

That looks like a 6010 series. Some of them have the same case design as the KB-101A.

And again, if you want to ship me a tripod, you're more than welcome to :p .

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 May 2015, 10:20

nice little drawings under that keyboard in that picutre XMIT! ;) Alps SKCM Blue are also one of my favortie switches Chyros. Considder youself very lucky not only to find a keyboard like that, but in such pristine condition. Amazing. My Focus FK-2002 pictured here is nice, but it was slightly used when I bought it.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-2002

Muirium
µ

27 May 2015, 11:51

Those drawings are his labelling system. So the photos self document a bit. You'll see them on all XMIT's stuff.

Chyros

27 May 2015, 15:08

seebart wrote: nice little drawings under that keyboard in that picutre XMIT! ;) Alps SKCM Blue are also one of my favortie switches Chyros. Considder youself very lucky not only to find a keyboard like that, but in such pristine condition. Amazing. My Focus FK-2002 pictured here is nice, but it was slightly used when I bought it.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-2002
Haha yeah I do consider myself very lucky indeed ^^ . Still, the 2002 is a much prettier board than the KB-101A, especially with the cover (does it have one?)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 May 2015, 23:06

Muirium wrote: Those drawings are his labelling system. So the photos self document a bit. You'll see them on all XMIT's stuff.
Yeah. They're kind of a hack. I had some extra labels that didn't get cut correctly and a desire to start taking notes at photo time. Some switches look identical but have different feedback. So I just drew something quickly with a Sharpie.

Return to “Reviews”