Wang 725-7951

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 Apr 2015, 11:18

I got this from webwit recently. While it looked quite clean from the outside it was nasty filthy internally. This keyboard is AT/ XT switchable. The amber Omron B3G-S series switches are clicky, quite loud and do not feel like Alps SKCL/SKCM . The case is solid thick plastic. There is some yellowing on some keycaps. The fatass enter key is fine, but the tiny backspace key is obnoxious to work with.The top row function keycaps are quite high profile on this keyboard. I'm happy with it. These Wang / Costar keyboards don't show up that often. Apart from the tiny backspace key it's a solid daily driver for me.
IMGP9512.JPG
IMGP9512.JPG (994.49 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMGP9529.JPG
IMGP9529.JPG (961.38 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMGP9514.JPG
IMGP9514.JPG (968.41 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMGP9543.JPG
IMGP9543.JPG (957.77 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMGP9550.JPG
IMGP9550.JPG (943.71 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMGP9549.JPG
IMGP9549.JPG (975.09 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Last edited by seebart on 24 Apr 2015, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

sphinx
Major Bummer

24 Apr 2015, 11:38

that's a pretty and long wang you got there.. how does it feel when you touch it?

seebart

24 Apr 2015, 11:56

sphinx wrote: that's a pretty and long wang you got there.. how does it feel when you touch it?
oh man it feels great. But I like to keep my Wang clean. :mrgreen:

sphinx
Major Bummer

24 Apr 2015, 12:00

seebart wrote:
sphinx wrote: that's a pretty and long wang you got there.. how does it feel when you touch it?
that's true, no one likes a dirty wang

seebart

24 Apr 2015, 12:06

sphinx wrote:
seebart wrote:
that's true, no one likes a dirty wang
a dirty Wang can be a major bummer! :lol:

Touch_It

24 Apr 2015, 17:10

Consider me jealous of your' Wang.

I want to try/own a board with those switches one day. (usable layout ofc)

seebart

24 Apr 2015, 17:20

Thanks.You'll find one. They are more rare than Alps boards though.

zts

25 Apr 2015, 03:09

Very nice find!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 03:19

Are those switches better than most alps switches? Or are they just filthy clones?

Nice wang BTW ;)

jacobolus

25 Apr 2015, 03:56

The keycaps are also interesting. Medium-thick ABS, and a super-tall F-key row.

jacobolus

25 Apr 2015, 03:57

Touch_It wrote: I want to try/own a board with those switches one day. (usable layout ofc)
What do you mean by usable layout?

Most of the keyboards I’ve seen with amber Omrons have a “bigass” enter key.

Touch_It

25 Apr 2015, 04:11

jacobolus wrote:
Touch_It wrote: I want to try/own a board with those switches one day. (usable layout ofc)
What do you mean by usable layout?

Most of the keyboards I’ve seen with amber Omrons have a “bigass” enter key.
Anything close to ansi. So uhh i guess, ansi or big ass enter. Don't know if I would really want to adapt to anything else as a daily driver.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 04:31

Big ass enter is better than ISO at least.

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2015, 06:13

Big Ass looks like trouble to me, but I guess I should give it a chance. The problem is that tiny Backspace key, all the way up there. Big Ole Enter is sitting everywhere, waiting to be hit by an HHKB style Backspacer like myself. And I just don't like the looks of him.

Touch_It

25 Apr 2015, 06:34

ISO looks gross. I'd take a small back space any day. I've used big ass enter boards as daily drivers for 2 years I'd guess. Not too hard to adapt too vs standard ansi, but I can't speak about going from a hhkb to big ass enter.

seebart

25 Apr 2015, 11:26

Thanks zts but it wasn't really a find since webwit sold it in his thread. I can't say if Omrons are better than Alps or not Redmaus. They are not Alps clones as far as I know. Yeah the layout with that bigass return and tiny backspace is the biggest drawback for me with this keyboard. Quite impractical.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 15:42

seebart wrote: Thanks zts but it wasn't really a find since webwit sold it in his thread. I can't say if Omrons are better than Alps or not Redmaus. They are not Alps clones as far as I know. Yeah the layout with that bigass return and tiny backspace is the biggest drawback for me with this keyboard. Quite impractical.
Its nice to know that you agree with me :) Could we get some audio of the board?

seebart

25 Apr 2015, 16:19

Redmaus wrote: Its nice to know that you agree with me :) Could we get some audio of the board?
I'm not sure how far away you guys usually have your phone from the keyboard for the recording? I had the phone about 10 inches away but it sounds loud...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2318524361

Chyros

25 Apr 2015, 16:50

WOW. That sounds almost like a typewriter xD . Is it really that loud? xD

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Apr 2015, 16:52

Those sound like really "clocky" switches.

seebart

25 Apr 2015, 16:55

Yeah that's what I was saying, the recording almost sounds louder than real life. I'm not sure if it's my crappy phone mic or what. But that Omron switch is pretty loud. I'll try another recording when I'm back at my desk.

Return to “Keyboards”