Group Build prototyping phase

chzel

27 Apr 2015, 20:19

Ah..the standards...and each developer's interpretation of them! The dream of a world united!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2015, 20:23

oh I see, there still someone using Safari out there. It's like IE9 for me :P

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2015, 20:26

Chrome feels that way to me as well!

scottc

27 Apr 2015, 20:27

Everyone should just use Firefox like me, grumble grumble...

Or curl and emacs, like 7bit :geek:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2015, 20:27

Muirium wrote: Chrome feels that way to me as well!
with the difference that Chrome respects web standards.

pyrelink

27 Apr 2015, 20:32

I personally can't stand Safari, and I find Chrome/Google to be too intrusive. I usually just use Firefox..

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2015, 21:01

I use Firefox on my old PowerPC Macs: specifically an up to date port called TenFourFox, the only modern browser still alive on that dead platform. Firefox was my main browser back in 2003-2008 or so anyway, I still love some things about it, but it's a second rate experience being cross-platform. Same with Chrome. Neither feel like they're really at home on the Mac. And I love iCloud session sync between all my modern Apple kit. So Safari it is. I also prefer Safari's text rendering, Chrome looks a little off to me.

Anyway, so long as you stay away from Adobe Flash with this project, I'm fine!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2015, 00:07

bug fixed on safari.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Apr 2015, 00:24

matt3o wrote:
Ha! Chrome is closer to becoming the new IE6. :roll:

Muirium
µ

28 Apr 2015, 00:58

I've certainly heard of a lot of Chrome-only problems, some via grumbling ducks!

@Matteo: Thanks for the fix. Looks good now.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2015, 09:26

webwit wrote:
matt3o wrote:
Ha! Chrome is closer to becoming the new IE6. :roll:
nowadays you develop for chrome first, then fix the bugs on the others, being Firefox the new IE. IE10 is actually pretty good. Safari was very good, but they are slow updating the engine (so for example it still supports -webkit- properties only). Is chrome perfect? Oh gosh, no! They screw requestAnimationFrame at every fucking release!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

28 Apr 2015, 10:28

Screw Chrome, a browser that doesn't have the decency to have it's own settings and uses IE settings is crap. I'd rather use IE than Chrome.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Apr 2015, 10:41

One shouldn't be using a browser by an ad broker anyway, thus empowering a company which spends millions lobbying in order to corrupt your privacy rights. That would be self-inflicting if you're a user.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2015, 10:55

webwit wrote: One shouldn't be using a browser by an ad broker anyway, thus empowering a company which spends millions lobbying in order to corrupt your privacy rights. That would be self-inflicting if you're a user.
I'm not saying I use chrome, my browser is actually Firefox. I'm saying chrome is by far the best one and when developing it sets the golden ratio.

Muirium
µ

29 Apr 2015, 01:42

Anyone else here old enough to remember when Firefox was the one with all the modern standards compliance cred? Those were the days. Back when Google didn't have a dog in the race.

I'll get my cane…

Hak Foo

29 Apr 2015, 07:04

I started out on Firefox because it tended to be more usable on dial-up-- it would render forums with huge content tables partially downloaded, while IE6 waited longer to render.

Now, all I keep Firefox around for as default is because I like FireFTP's "monitor files once downloaded, and reupload when changed" feature.

Vivaldi looks interesting these days...it's a Chromium derivative from the people formerly with Opera back when they were power-user cool.

Eszett

29 Apr 2015, 18:26

Firefox was good once. Then it bloated up. Now it's mediocre. Nowadays I would say all main browsers are mediocre in equal measure. While I still support Firefox for it beeing OpenSource. We all don't want to have ClosedSource software (Chrome, IE) rule the market in future, do we? Think about that NSA could implement spyware or backdoors in ClosedSource software ...

Mal-2

29 Apr 2015, 21:04

Eszett wrote: Firefox was good once. Then it bloated up. Now it's mediocre. Nowadays I would say all main browsers are mediocre in equal measure. While I still support Firefox for it beeing OpenSource. We all don't want to have ClosedSource software (Chrome, IE) rule the market in future, do we? Think about that NSA could implement spyware or backdoors in ClosedSource software ...
They already do, by subverting the encryption standards (can you say "elliptic curve"?) and it doesn't matter whether they're implemented in the open or not, they're still fundamentally broken when that happens.

That's not to say it gets any better doing it in closed source.

jacobolus

30 Apr 2015, 01:43

Firefox is much more effective with large numbers of tabs open than Chrome. (Actually pretty much anything is better than Chrome once you get past 30 tabs. Safari works best, followed by Firefox, and Chrome falls on its face. No idea about IE; this is on a Mac.)

I don’t think the browsers can be easily ranked on how much they “respect web standards”. They have differing priorities about what to implement, and they each have serious lapses in basic support IMO.
Last edited by jacobolus on 30 Apr 2015, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Apr 2015, 01:46

But then Firefox starts to leaks when you let the browser open more than an hour or so. ;)

Stopped to use Firefox because I was bored of having to restart Firefox every two days to get some free RAM...

By the way, Firefox's memory allocation was pretty fun to read in source code back in the days. Dunno if it's still the case, but I remember it like "Okay kernel, give me all your free RAM so I can manage the RAM myself".
Last edited by ramnes on 30 Apr 2015, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

jacobolus

30 Apr 2015, 01:49

ramnes wrote: But then Firefox starts to leaks when you let the browser open more than an hour or so. ;)

Stopped to use Firefox because I was bored of having to restart Firefox every two days to get some free RAM...
When was that? They improved things considerably within the last couple years.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Apr 2015, 01:49

Two years ago max. Never had any real problem with Chromium so far so I just stayed with it.

jacobolus

30 Apr 2015, 01:54

Ironically, the worst is when you try to use Chrome with a bunch of tabs with Google services. The new versions of GMail, Google Maps, Google Documents, GPlus, etc. are huge resource hogs, opening several persistent network sockets and wasting huge amounts of memory and CPU indefinitely while they’re open. (Facebook and Twitter are also pretty bad offenders.) If you open about 10 tabs of Google services in Chrome, laptop battery life goes all to hell.

I wish I had a browser where I could throttle particular websites’ resource use.

pietergen

30 Apr 2015, 21:20

jacobolus wrote: I wish I had a browser where I could throttle particular websites’ resource use.
The best thing I can think of now is writing a script for your browser that (re)opens a misbehaving tab in a different (that is: external) browser, that you have throttled with niceness values. Not very elegant, I admit. All this is assuming you're using a linux desktop, can't speak for other operating systems.

scottc

30 Apr 2015, 22:04

pietergen wrote:
jacobolus wrote: I wish I had a browser where I could throttle particular websites’ resource use.
The best thing I can think of now is writing a script for your browser that (re)opens a misbehaving tab in a different (that is: external) browser, that you have throttled with niceness values. Not very elegant, I admit. All this is assuming you're using a linux desktop, can't speak for other operating systems.
The Windows version could just run shutdown.exe until you decide to make some better life decisions.

chalks

03 May 2015, 15:41

While I haven't read all the pages, this project interests me a lot. So to wind back a page or so:
matt3o wrote: As soon as I'll have the prototypes I'll post a beta-tester request. Please note that I'll need feedback from the betatesters as soon as possible to avoid production delays, so if you can't work on it in a timely manner, please do not apply (sorry about that)
Does this mean that once the beta testers have provided feedback, then there'll be a bigger production run so others can buy a pcb, case etc?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 May 2015, 15:44

chalks wrote: Does this mean that once the beta testers have provided feedback, then there'll be a bigger production run so others can buy a pcb, case etc?
exactly!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2015, 19:57

the configurator has been updated and moved under the kiibohd realm https://github.com/kiibohd/KiiConf

With Haata's help it is already capable of compiling your firmware on the fly so you don't need to install anything on your PC!

I'm still waiting for my prototype. I'll keep you posted.

Muirium
µ

11 May 2015, 20:12

Cool. Where do we non-techies point our browsers and get our hex files?

sphinx
Major Bummer

11 May 2015, 20:19

Return to “Workshop”