Strange problem with Tesoro keyboard

PossumMX

01 May 2015, 09:39

Hi folks,

I hope you can help me with this, because I've run out of ideas.

The keyboard is A Tesoro Durandal G1N (not illuminated) with Cherry Browns.

All of a sudden the Delete key stopped working (the main one). All the other keys work fine, including the Delete key on the numpad.

Before answering, please read through the following list of what I did and what I learned:

- the mechanical switch is not the problem. I opened the keyboard up and checked the leads (the contacts) of the switch with a multimeter, on the PCB. The switch makes electrical contact correctly (i.e., the multimeter beeps when the switch is depressed and does not beep when the switch is not depressed)

- when i connect the leads of the switch with a metallic object, the contact does not register (nothing gets deleted). This works correctly for every other key. So deleting does not work even if i bypass the switch and make an electrical connection between the contact points on the PCB manually.

- it does not seem to be a software problem. I tried the keyboard on both a windows and a linux machine and the results were the same. I checked on the Tesoro website and found drivers for the Durandal G1NL (the illuminated version). Those did not work, they do not detect the regular G1N, i.e. the version without illumination.

So I don't know what to do. I can't return the keyboard, as I opened it up and bye bye warranty. I don't want to throw it away, since it is very comfortable to type on. I would very much like to fix it, so any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 May 2015, 13:20

Was there a seal on the case, I mean are you sure they can see that you opened it?

PossumMX

01 May 2015, 16:38

Returning it is not an option. Also, it's about more than that. It bothers me that I can't find the answer, and it's a stupid problem. If the keyboard controller was fried, all keys would be affected. What makes the Del key special? What kind of problems affect one key only, aside from the switch not functioning (which is not the case)?

Khers

01 May 2015, 16:41

Have you tried reflowing the solder? Could simply be an issue with the contact between the switch and the PCB.

Nuum

01 May 2015, 16:48

Or maybe a broken trace, check continuity between the switch and the next solder points!

PossumMX

01 May 2015, 18:24

Yeah. So I painstakingly checked the traces and found a connection problem. Couldn't have been anything else, really. I soldered it and now it works. Thanks for the amazing build quality, Tesoro.... they should consider shipping their keyboards with a soldering iron. I would prefer not to have lost several hours with this problem, but I suppose life would be boring if everything worked all the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

dzhoou

03 May 2015, 06:36

Glad to see the problem is fixed!

Return to “Keyboards”