IBM AT Work in Progress

chzel

18 May 2015, 23:46

A couple of weeks ago I got a QWERTZ IBM AT from ebay, thanks to ramnes' tip!
So here it is, in all it's filthiness!
IBM AT-0842.jpg
IBM AT-0842.jpg (863.95 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
The label has seen better days, and after washing it will only get worse!
IBM AT-0844.jpg
IBM AT-0844.jpg (719.03 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
i.O. in red...and I need help from the Germans! What is "Prog Funkt"? Why no "Rollen"?
IBM AT-0845.jpg
IBM AT-0845.jpg (708.81 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Should make for a decent cleaning challenge!
IBM AT-0846.jpg
IBM AT-0846.jpg (771.6 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Severe damage on the cable. Just the insulation and the shielding is gone, cable works fine!
Also the label is half gone, and there is residue from another sticker.
IBM AT-0848.jpg
IBM AT-0848.jpg (884.45 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Tweety and I go to work,
IBM AT-0853.jpg
IBM AT-0853.jpg (831.32 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
and uncover...the filth!
IBM AT-0855.jpg
IBM AT-0855.jpg (791.25 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
All caps off and ready for an overnight dunk with Corega tablets!
IBM AT-0857.jpg
IBM AT-0857.jpg (923.67 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Inside label, back plate in great condition, and although it's a bit younger than me, it's close to my birthday (26/10)!
IBM AT-0858.jpg
IBM AT-0858.jpg (643.47 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
From the side the foam looks good,
But it's not!
IBM AT-0860.jpg
IBM AT-0860.jpg (709.2 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
It must have suffered a spill at some point. The foam has disintegrated and the barrel plate has corroded at the same spot.
IBM AT-0864.jpg
IBM AT-0864.jpg (924.84 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
IBM AT-0868.jpg
IBM AT-0868.jpg (803.71 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
And I tip my hat to IBM's almost masochistic documenting of random stuff.
They hand engraved (more like scratched) the prod. date on the inside of the spacebar mold.
This is raised, so it's a feature of the mold!
IBM AT-0869.jpg
IBM AT-0869.jpg (898.17 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
The plan is to remove the stabilizer thingies, sand the plate clean, paint it, glue thingies back in, cut new foam,
install xwhatsit's controller and play with the layout a bit.
It will be ANSIfied, and the right cluster will have arrows, possibly vertical enter and nav cluster, and the rest custom functions.
I am waiting for some stuff, but work will continue soon!

In the meantime, if anyone has 2 flippers to spare I'd be obliged!

chzel

Reserved

chzel

Reserved

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

19 May 2015, 00:35

I got those flippers for you dude. I have them left over from my model F122. I would like 10$ shipping included.

Also looking forward to the rest of your restoration. Especially how you are going to fix that logo ;)

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 May 2015, 00:36

That mark on the spacebar is awesome! Will check on mine as soon as possible.

Glad to see it arrived to your place. Have fun!

wlhlm
~

19 May 2015, 00:41

I guess "Prog Funkt" translates to "Program function", so it's meant as auxiliary LED controlled by a program...

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

19 May 2015, 00:42

Looks like I can solve your logo and flipper problem! :)
here ya go buddy.jpg
here ya go buddy.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

beltet

21 May 2015, 12:28

Nice. I like the keycap puller aswell!

chzel

21 May 2015, 13:03

Heh, IKEA is everywhere!
It doesn't work too well though, the wires should be longer! I need to make a couple more!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 May 2015, 14:40

chzel wrote: Heh, IKEA is everywhere!
It doesn't work too well though, the wires should be longer! I need to make a couple more!
You talking about the keypuller? Looks nice though. I am still waiting for a MKC aluminum keypuller to come back on massdrop...

Oh and do you still need the extra flippies? :)

chzel

21 May 2015, 17:12

Yeah, I meant the keypuller's wires, they are a bit too stiff and can take only one cap at a time.
PM incoming regarding the flippers!

vsev

22 May 2015, 09:32

Nice thing you got here Chzel !
Wish you good time with restauration, I admit I'm waiting the occasion to get one myself too.

idollar
i$

22 May 2015, 16:08

I like how this is progressing. Keep us posted.

Sigmoid

22 May 2015, 17:51

Nah, this isn't that bad. After I completed my XT refurbishing project, I got another XT off of eBay (several were dumped at the same time, and it was really easy to get them cheap - I got this one for $35), and that had been through some crazy shit. It was from a government auction originally...
The keycaps on that smelled like decomposing organic matter before some thorough washing down.

Nice to see a German one for a change btw. :) Nice. Interesting though how there's no Alt Gr...

chzel

22 May 2015, 20:09

Thanks guys!
I'm waiting for some parts before continuing, so it might take some time!
Sigmoid wrote: Nice to see a German one for a change btw. :)
In fact this is my only gripe with this keyboard! I'd prefer the usual QWERTY, so I might transfer the caps from the XT I have on the way!
Unless someone is interested for a trade!

chzel

30 May 2015, 23:58

I need to dip in your collective knowledge!
I have put the keyboard back together for now, but I have a problem with one key that has a "delay".
I press and it registers, I release it and I hear the flipper return 0.5-1 second later.
Any ideas?

Edit: I fixed it, I jiggled the flipper by the spring, and reseated the cap a couple of times and it's OK now!
Edit 2: Another one does it...Arghhhh.....Does anyone know what causes it?

Muirium
µ

31 May 2015, 14:37

I've had that many times, most recently a few days ago which made me open my Kishsaver again. I think it might be a Model F only thing. That's where I meet it anyway.

The Fn key (bottom right, closest to the HHKB's position) had developed that delay, which was driving me nuts as the whole navigation layer relies on it. Also, the . key wasn't responding at all, again. One of those two springs was sitting so loose I suspected a broken foot, which my Kishsaver had originally on the ' key when I got it. So I went inside to try different flippers. Managed to snap one of the offenders when reinstalling its spring, right around the same time you popped one yourself! Other than that, things seemed fine when I put it back together. Until the . key still wasn't responding! Guh. Off came all the caps again and I repeated the process. All back together: still no dice on .! Bastard. I left it at that. Next step will be a PCB cleaning, despite the fact it looked good to me. I guess I could play with levels on the controller too.

But yeah: the cause of delayed clicks? Can be the cap, because sometimes reinstalling them fixes it. Yet often it does not. In that case I think it's the spring. How well is it pushed down on the flipper? If a little pulling with your fingers is enough to pop it off: that's no good! Get out the "chopstick".

(You can just tell Ripster came up with that name. It's misleading. A matchstick is closer to the right size.)

chzel

31 May 2015, 15:21

I just got into the AT again, and all seems fine with the particular barrel and flipper when tested on the table.
So whatever this is, it's happening during assembly. The flipper doesn't get caught, so I think it might be deformation or uneven pressure from the foam mat? Until I find a better alternative, I replaced mine with 1,5mm art foam which is somewhat stiff and I use a second sheet for the middle 3 rows.

By the way, your Kish definitely hates you. Do yourself a favor and sell it to me!

Return to “Workshop”