Will we EVER be able to make keycaps for keyboards that AREN'T Cherry?

mr_a500

28 May 2015, 19:02

I desperately want to buy some new double shot spherical keycaps - but NOT for Cherry keyboards. It seems every single keycap replacement group-buy in the known universe is just for Cherry. I don't have (or want) a Cherry keyboard.

Can anybody foresee a possible time when we can have:

double shot spherical keycaps for buckling spring (preferably single piece)
double shot spherical keycaps for Amiga (Mitsumi)
double shot spherical keycaps for ALPS

I have at least 20 keyboards that need keycap replacements! (Cherry can go to hell.)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 May 2015, 19:12

The problem is not having them made, but having a large enough order.

hammelgammler
Vintage

28 May 2015, 19:45

Well i think i would be in for a buckling spring keycap set.
Bad think is that Unicomp makes lot of colors and the quality seems to be very good.

Such things as different profiles and different thickness doesn't exist to buckling spring keycaps to my knowledge, so the only thing i could want would be a complete black or black-on-black set.

I think the people that want double shot spherical keycaps are not that much apperently... :/

Muirium
µ

28 May 2015, 20:11

Someone link that fellow on Etsy who does superb buckling spring sets, please! They're expensive as hell but just as tasty.

@Seebart: I wouldn't be that optimistic. SP can only do stupid incompatible Alps caps that need Cherry stabilisers! We need to find another source entirely.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 May 2015, 20:17

I would totally be in for a buckling spring keyset.

jou

28 May 2015, 20:42

Muirium wrote: Someone link that fellow on Etsy who does superb buckling spring sets, please! They're expensive as hell but just as tasty.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DecentKeyboards

idollar
i$

28 May 2015, 21:00

I am the proud owner of a Decentkeys set. They are good. As good as the Unicomp keys. I guess that they are actually modified Unicomp's.

The key word in the post is "spherical"
I wish I could type with sphericals my Fs/Ms.

BTW: make them two pieces ... they would be simpler and cheaper, and we all have tons of under-keys.

SL89

28 May 2015, 21:18

@OP With enough time, enough effort and enough money, we can make caps for any keyboard. Bar none.

benichka

29 May 2015, 07:55

Speaking of that, beside the space bars that are currently running, has there already been a GB for topre keysets (I don't know how to say that properly, the interrogative English is not my cup of tea :roll: ) ?

Muirium
µ

29 May 2015, 07:59

Nope. Not that I know of. Topre has a monopoly on that mount. Not through patent (they expired long ago) but through disinterest. And not our disinterest! But SP's etc.

benichka

29 May 2015, 08:06

Muirium wrote: Nope. Not that I know of. Topre has a monopoly on that mount. Not through patent (they expired long ago) but through disinterest. And not our disinterest! But SP's etc.
:D
Plus, the "native" quality is quite good...

But yeah, the initial investment for all the keys (not even speaking different profiles, but just for one) must be really high!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 May 2015, 12:25

Muirium wrote: @Seebart: I wouldn't be that optimistic. SP can only do stupid incompatible Alps caps that need Cherry stabilisers! We need to find another source entirely.
right, my post demonstrates how little I am into GB keycap sets and how little I know about the whole subject. And I really intend to keep it that way. For the sake of my wallet. I'll buy original sets instead:
Alps.PNG
Alps.PNG (591.74 KiB) Viewed 2861 times

Touch_It

29 May 2015, 16:49

Alps modifiers GB. It is a start. Maybe stuff will blossom from here. (link below)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70817.0

mr_a500

29 May 2015, 18:10

Wow, the first ALPS keycap set. Sadly, it's not complete and appears to be cylindrical. At least it's a start.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2015, 18:28

Stabs? Signature Plastix?

Sorry, I mean Stabz?

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 19:55

You might want to take a look at this:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/scm- ... 10815.html

Return to “Keyboards”