Help repairing an IBM M2

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Jun 2015, 19:14

Hi guys, I just purchased a Model M2 and I got the following result in Aqua:

The Z, X, B, N, LShift, and F all actuate the V key. I've taken the M2 apart already but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. The capacitors still look brand new and the lock LEDs work just fine. Does this just sound like a case where reseating the springs should fix the issues? I'm currently gluing the plastic tabs back on. :?

Halvar

29 Jun 2015, 20:22

Sounds to me like a problem with the membrane or the connection between membrane and controller. For example a beverage spill or something. Does the membrane look good and clean? Is the connection between membrane and controller aligned well?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Jun 2015, 20:48

Halvar wrote: Sounds to me like a problem with the membrane or the connection between membrane and controller. For example a beverage spill or something. Does the membrane look good and clean? Is the connection between membrane and controller aligned well?
Yes it looks outstandingly clean, there is a little dust but not nearly as much as most 1980s boards have. Controller looks good and clean too. Any idea how to put this back together? Do the springs just sit on the case when you put it back together?

Halvar

29 Jun 2015, 21:07

Oh, then I don't know.

You should definitely make sure it works before putting it back together, because putting it together is kind of annoying, you don't want to do that several times.

You can test function by pressing on the membranes with your finger.

Maybe this helps in reassembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOHZDdqi_Jk

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 Jun 2015, 02:57

Thanks for the help guys. I think the issue was with the springs themselves not being seated properly. All of the keys work when I was pressing with my finger so now I just have to get the case back together again. :shock:

beltet

04 Jul 2015, 23:55

I had some similiar problem with mine aswell. I'm going to test the same thing. Thanks aswell.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Jul 2015, 01:49

After getting mine back together all of the keys are working now. Good luck!

Return to “Workshop”