Keeping Cool 1940s Style

andrewjoy

01 Jul 2015, 10:52

Well the resent warm weather in the UK has made me finally get my fan into a working but not fully restored state !
IMG_20150701_001642.jpg
IMG_20150701_001642.jpg (955.47 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8Am4O ... e=youtu.be

There are a few things that need to be done before its finished.

-Blades need to be painted
-Some nylon washers needed to stop the rotor floating about ( may parts where missing / incorrect for this fan)
-The screw holding the blades on is wrong and causing vibrations needs to be replaced with a grub screw
-the screw to loosen the neck is incorrect needs to be replaced with something you can move with your fingers

Topre Enthusiast

01 Jul 2015, 12:49

Nice one, man!
Can't see the vid though :(

Would love an old Art Deco fan like this for my desk -- maybe a little smaller. Would definitely suit this old "Queenslander" home of mine. It's sometimes tough to find cool stuff though with our weird voltage and socket-outlets over here.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Jul 2015, 13:23

The same heat wave is approaching Germany, time for me to get out my old fake retro fan. Fake but still well built.
IMG_20150701_131903.jpg
IMG_20150701_131903.jpg (966.5 KiB) Viewed 3217 times

andrewjoy

01 Jul 2015, 13:36

002 wrote: Nice one, man!
Can't see the vid though :(
woops

you can now :)

seebart wrote: The same heat wave is approaching Germany, time for me to get out my old fake retro fan. Fake but still well built.
Looks good but that modern fan grill makes it look silly :P who needs a grill that narrow, i mean if you stick your fingers in a fan then you deserve the darwin award anyway :)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

01 Jul 2015, 13:38

Please define heat :lol: (002 excluded ) here such a fan is nice maybe in spring, but in summer you need a strong AC unit.

The fans are nice, something out of a 1920's news paper redaction ;)

andrewjoy

01 Jul 2015, 13:39

Its been about 29-31 around where i live and with a dual GPU monster and a file server next to me it gets very warm :P

I am getting AC as well soon.

seebart

01 Jul 2015, 13:41

DanielT wrote: Please define heat :lol: (002 excluded ) here such a fan is nice maybe in spring, but in summer you need a strong AC unit.

The fans are nice, something out of a 1920's news paper redaction ;)
For me anything above 30 Celsius. I don't have a problem with it though. I know some people really suffer.

HzFaq

01 Jul 2015, 13:42

andrewjoy wrote: Looks good but that modern fan grill makes it look silly :P who needs a grill that narrow, i mean if you stick your fingers in a fan then you deserve the darwin award anyway :)
Recent experience tells me that the grill is less for when fingers go in and more for when the blades try to come out. We had a fan basically explode in a shower of plastic yesterday as the blade cracked/shattered when it was on, if there wasn't a cage around it there would've been quite big chunks of broken plastic flying all over the office at high speed...

Anyway, cool fan, I could do with one for sure for the 3 days a year it's hot here :D. I have a similar problem as you in that I've got a small office at home with a hot computer and a window that doesn't open all the way.

andrewjoy

01 Jul 2015, 13:45

Solution

Don't use cheap plastic for blades , use decent plastic or metal :)

DanielT

01 Jul 2015, 13:50

29-30 is hot for UK and Germany I must admit. The heat wave will hit us next week, we are expecting 30+ in shadow, in Bucharest it will be hell on Earth, all those communist concrete buildings generate a lot of heat. Good thing I will be at the seaside with my family.

Topre Enthusiast

01 Jul 2015, 14:07

DanielT wrote: but in summer you need a strong AC unit.
Amen to that...A 5kw Daikin is my life support system during summer months :)
Fans are nice for autumn and spring though. 2 weeks out from the middle of "winter" here and I actually had the pedestal fan on me earlier this afternoon.

seebart

01 Jul 2015, 14:12

40 celcius is expected here towards the end of the week. I'm not really a big fan of high temperatures. Still more tolerable than some of the winters we have here.

mr_a500

01 Jul 2015, 14:15

andrewjoy wrote: Image
Nice, but I'd be too scared to operate that thing. Those large openings look ideal for chopping off fingers. (and possibly other body parts)

You don't have to be a moron for this to happen. Imagine reaching for those pliers on your desk and you accidentally bump the fan. It starts toppling off the desk, so you instinctively try to stop it. You grab it just in time, but the way you grabbed it leaves one finger just a bit too far in - chop!

I use a giant metal industrial fan. On maximum speed it's like a WWII plane taking off. I can't sleep without a fan going - summer or winter.

Topre Enthusiast

01 Jul 2015, 14:26

mr_a500 wrote: I can't sleep without a fan going - summer or winter.
Same here! I think we would be considered badass dudes in South Korea -- laughing in the face of fan death.

mr_a500

01 Jul 2015, 14:34

I've been to South Korea. I'm not sure if I was considered a "badass dude", but I was mobbed by kids as if I was some kind of super hero.

Khers

01 Jul 2015, 15:57

The summer is finally arriving in good old Sweden. They claim that we will have a sustained period with temperatures above 20. Quite nice after all of May and June was below 15 and particularly rainy. Certainly hope the 40 degrees from Germany doesn't spread up north though. My optimal temperature window is rather narrow. Say 18 to 22 degrees. Maybe up to 25, as long as it's cloudy.

DanielT

01 Jul 2015, 16:47

seebart wrote: 40 celcius is expected here towards the end of the week. I'm not really a big fan of high temperatures. Still more tolerable than some of the winters we have here.
Too bad I don't have some photos with the winters here in Romania, it's not the cold and the snow, but the dirt and mud that it's killing you, and that in the big city. We have I think one of most inefficient system for clearing up the snow from the streets. A couple of years ago we still had snow piles in the city in mid April, and it wasn't snowing since March, and temperatures were around 18-20 degrees.

pyrelink

03 Jul 2015, 00:49

ooh vintage fans. I like those. This one is my favorite. Its a Rotobeam from 1955. This picture is before I restored it, as I don't have any afterwards for some reason:

andrewjoy

03 Jul 2015, 10:13

Wow that is indeed very 50s :P

i am thinking of hammered metal silver for my blades , if there is any left over after my 122 plates :)

seebart

04 Jul 2015, 19:25

Looks like I'll need that fan of mine tonight:

:O

Khers

05 Jul 2015, 08:35

I thought it was pretty darn hot here tonight, but it was nothing like that, seebart. When seeing info like that I'm pretty happy Sweden is at the perifery of the heat wave and we currently have what can generally be described as pretty decent weather.

seebart

05 Jul 2015, 09:10

Oh how right you are. Temperatures above 30 Celsius are strenuous. We have not had that kind of heat here in several years. Being a smart seebart I am using my free time this weekend to clean out the basement. So what's in the basement? Among a lot of other stuff: around 20 Celsius! Have a good cool Sunday Khers!

Muirium
µ

05 Jul 2015, 13:51

I'm a warmblooded sunnuvabitch. Short sleeves in Scottish winter, makes his own heat, born for obsolete tasks like manning exposed pillboxes, kind of warm. Even 20 degrees is more than I want. So I'm on ice. Sweet, sweet ginger beer and ice actually. In about 50:50 mixture.

But then it rains again and I curse the pedantic gods who bring such inconvenience! Pick, you pixiefuckers!

Touch_It

10 Jul 2015, 00:59

seebart wrote: Looks like I'll need that fan of mine tonight:

:O
DO not understand. According to real people temperature ;) , that is cold.

Just joking, don't hate me.

Return to “Off-topic”